News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Drain tubes from sunroof - where do they go?

Started by RogerDodger, January 06, 2007, 01:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogerDodger

The factory sunroof on my 74 has a tube at each corner to drain the water down through the body. The back 2 drain out through the outer wheel house. The front ones go down behind the kick panel but do not go through the rocker to the exterior. It doesn't seem like they should stop there as its not where you want water to accumulate. Does anyone else with a sunroof know where theirs exit the car? I hate to start drilling blind. The car is original with the sunroof.  ???

Charger_Fan

This link may help you; http://1970chargerregistry.com/70messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=371&highlight=sunroof
It's for earlier years, but I would imagine the info would be similar.

The drain tube reference is in link # 005, but there's probably lots of other info you'll want too. :thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

moparjohn

I have seen then come out the door jamb hinge side almost at the seam (A pillar) and mine stop inside the kick pannel area and do not seem to "go through" the floor/side but the carpet is not wet after wash/rain so it must drain somewhere. I quess I'll have to experiment. John
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

RogerDodger

Thanks for the link Charger Fan. Theres a lot of good info there.

John - I think I'm going to do some experimenting as well. Maybe it does drain out. There isn't a hole for the tubing but it may have some kind of a weep hole. It just seems like the tube should exit the car not dump into the kick panel area.

Thanks guys.

hemi-hampton

If you look at the very bottom edge of your Rocker Panel you'll see Drainage holes all along rocker about every foot or 2. Not really holes but a bend or kink in the overlapping metal. Hard to explain but if you look you may see what I'm talking about. LEON.

RogerDodger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 07, 2007, 03:06:40 AM
If you look at the very bottom edge of your Rocker Panel you'll see Drainage holes all along rocker about every foot or 2. Not really holes but a bend or kink in the overlapping metal. Hard to explain but if you look you may see what I'm talking about. LEON.

So I guess these drain tubes were designed to end in the kick panel area and weep down through the rockers. I wonder how well protected the metal is inside the rocker? I'm guessing not well. My front drain tubes were plugged up anyway. Maybe this saved the rockers from rusting out. I'm going to go out today and test this with water and watch it run out. Thanks for the help everyone. :icon_smile_big:

Daytona R/T SE

Here's where the front drain tubes exit on a '69  (Photo courtesy of DC.Com member "BadBob" )

RogerDodger

I tested it with water today. It does drain out through the rockers. I don't agree with the thinking however all the water goes out the back tubes when the car is level.

hemi-hampton

So are you saying I was right with the Rocker Drainage? When these holes & the ones in lower 1/4 extension get clogged with Debris this is what helps your car Rust & Deteriorate faster. LEON.

RogerDodger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 08, 2007, 12:10:06 AM
So are you saying I was right with the Rocker Drainage? When these holes & the ones in lower 1/4 extension get clogged with Debris this is what helps your car Rust & Deteriorate faster. LEON.

Yes Leon. Just like this. I ran my back ones out the wheel house. I have figured out what to do about the front ones yet. They dump into the kick panel and find there way out the rocker.