News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disc Swap Link

Started by jaak, December 27, 2006, 11:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaak

Does anyone have the disc swap link, using the F-M body spindles, got my spindles and new calipers, just need a parts list of for hoses, hardware ect.
I used the search feature but didn't find what I needed, just a bunch of debates on a-spindles vs f-spindles.

I am not starting another debate, I'm using the f spindles, just need a parts list.

Thanks
Jason

BlueSS454

Here is what I used:

Spindles and caliper brackets off a 78 Magnum for the 11.75" rotors
Bendix Brake Hose part number:  88611
Bendix Caliper part number:  R55168S (Right Side)   R55169S (Left Side)
Outer Bearings:  BR2
Inner Bearings:  BR 17
Seal:  19500

I also rear mounted the calipers, no clearance issues what so ever.

Tom Rightler

jaak

Thanks 66 mopar and Bluess454

Jason

terrible one

Quote from: BlueSS454 on January 05, 2007, 11:07:58 PM
Here is what I used:

Spindles and caliper brackets off a 78 Magnum for the 11.75" rotors
Bendix Brake Hose part number:  88611
Bendix Caliper part number:  R55168S (Right Side)   R55169S (Left Side)
Outer Bearings:  BR2
Inner Bearings:  BR 17
Seal:  19500

I also rear mounted the calipers, no clearance issues what so ever.

Hey man, how much did it cost you for that setup? What about with the booster and MC? I'm trying to price out a disc setup for the front to see which route would be cheapest.

Chatt69chgr

I am not Blue SS454 but can tell you that the discs are available as a Wagner part at Oreillys for about $50 apiece.  The calipers and hoses he used were Bendix items.  They are also available from A1 Cardone and Raybestos.  The calipers are about $15 each (vs $45 for the Bendix).  The hose is availble from Raybestos as BH36828 for about $13 each (vs $21 for the Bendix).  Calipers are for 79 Cordoba and hoses are for 73 charger.  Don't get 79 Cordoba hoses---ends too big.  Only pads to get are Bendix Fleet Met Lok MKD84FM and they are expensive----something like $65 but the only ones to get.  You want the best pads since 75% of the braking effort is at the front.

The master is a UP32868 at NAPA for about $58 new.  You can get a rebuilt Cardone 101404 for $18 plus $10 core but you may not get the one that looks exactly like the NAPA unit.  Cardone just combined 5 part numbers and they will all work but there are differences in appearance between the 5.  It's a crap shoot as to which one you will get.  Pirate Jack has the master too. 

Many say you don't need a booster.  If you want one, you will not be able to get the Bendix dual diaphram as it is not availabe anywhere anymore.  Pirate Jack says that the single diaphram Midland Ross is adequate for B-bodys so you might consider that.  Pirate Jack is the retail arm of MBM Brakes out of Asheville, NC.

Hard part to get is the big slider caliper adapter.  They are not available except at junkyards or on ebay.  Very hard to find.  If you can settle for the 10.87 inch rotor, you can use the small slider caliper adapters and they are a dime a dozen.  Everything else is the same.

BlueSS454

Quote from: terrible one on January 06, 2007, 03:18:26 PM
Hey man, how much did it cost you for that setup? What about with the booster and MC? I'm trying to price out a disc setup for the front to see which route would be cheapest.

Everything I bought totaled about $400 including the price of the spindles.
The spindles were $80 pair (Junkyard from a '78 Magnum)
The rotors were $49 each (Raybestos Part #  7038)
The calipers were $22 each (Bendix Part #  R55168S RIGHT SIDE, R55169S LEFT SIDE)
The front hoses were $22 each  (Bendix Part #  88611)
The Inner Bearings were $8.50 each (SKF Part #  BR2)
The Outer Bearings were $10.50 each (SKF Part #  BR17)
The seals were $3.50 each  (SKF Part #  19500)
Brake pads were $35 (Duralast Part #  MKD84)
The Master Cylinder was $60 (Bendix Part #  11515)
The Booster I had, I just took it apart, checked it, cleaned it, and reassembled it.  I should also note that I installed Moog Positive Camber UCA bushings, but installed them so that it will increase Positive Caster to counter the addtional angle of the late B Body spindles.
Tom Rightler