News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone have vintage mag articles on '68 Hemi Chargers or the '69 Hemi C500?

Started by hemi68charger, January 05, 2007, 07:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6pkrunner

Troy, I know I got a 1968 Hemi Charger road test and a 1969 hemi Daytona road test. I just went through about 50 magazines and stopped for the night. But they are somewhere in the piles.

Ghoste

I have a 500 article posted in one of the 500 threads on the aero forum too Troy but I can't recall which one.

UFO

UFO

UFO

69_500

Okay maybe I'm a bit confused.

What exactly are you wanting a photo of Troy? I have tons of photo's of the first 500's engine compartment. And I"d say that 90% of the road test from 69 and 70 on the Charger 500's are using this car, or the second 500 which are identical, only difference being one is a 4 speed, and 1 is an AT.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69_500 on January 05, 2007, 10:32:42 PM
Okay maybe I'm a bit confused.

What exactly are you wanting a photo of Troy? I have tons of photo's of the first 500's engine compartment. And I"d say that 90% of the road test from 69 and 70 on the Charger 500's are using this car, or the second 500 which are identical, only difference being one is a 4 speed, and 1 is an AT.

Danny...  Generically, I'm looking for original hemi compartment pictues like you and others have posted.. But, one of the detail items I'm looking for as well is the situation where a hemi car's got drum brakes.. Most had the power discs. With that, the booster and master cylinder are both painted black... But, what about the power drum cars like mine.. Was the master cylinder as well as the booster....

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi68charger

Keep them coming....

Did anyone else notice that these two pictures are, to me, of the same car? I've notice:

1. Both do not have the heater hose bracket, the hoses are tied off with the aluminum strap and hang over the valve cover. Very interesting to me since my '68 Hemi DOES NOT have a hole drilled on the passenger side fender for the bracket..

2. Both have the '69 style windshield wiper motor.

3. Both are light colored cars, with one either having some photo editting to look orange.

4. Looks like the same guy.. Notice the hair cut..

5. Ballast resistor tilts the same way

6. Wires for the voltage regulator seems to bend the same way.....

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemi68charger

Here's what I would like to see a real picture of..  Hemi power drums... This is what my '68 came like

These pictures don't need to be of a Charger, any hemi-equipped '68/'69 B-body

Troy

tan top

hazarding a guess i am thinking black booster & master  cylinder  with a gold cadmium (spelling) plated cap :-\  had a quick look  yesterday no good . i'll have another look later today  ;D
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

6pkrunner

4 1968/1969 hemi road tests so far - all disc equipped. :icon_smile_big: But not 1/10 into the pile yet.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 6pkrunner on January 06, 2007, 10:02:05 AM
4 1968/1969 hemi road tests so far - all disc equipped. :icon_smile_big: But not 1/10 into the pile yet.

Morning Mike, did you notice the pics I reposted that showed a '68 Charger without the heater hose bracket on the fender? Again, my car doesn't have the bracket hole above the shock tower... Soooooo,,,, looks like mine didn't come with one and I can stop scratching my head........

Troy

PS> Thanks all for the continued search........
Troy

UFO

In the 68 service manual.It states that the same booster is used for disc and drum brakes(hemi cars).
I would say that they would be completely painted.No matter whether it was equipped with disc or drums.
Theres always the chance that the supplier didn't paint it.

6pkrunner

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 06, 2007, 10:13:13 AM
did you notice the pics I reposted that showed a '68 Charger without the heater hose bracket on the fender?

-Troy, seeing how in 1968 the heater hose bracket was attached to the valve cover of the wedges, the hole would not be present, and did I think to look at the 1968 Charger passenger side? nope - seen discs and moved on......now you're going to make me go back over the stuff I already been through :icon_smile_big:

69_500

Okay, I'll see what I can come up with for ya Troy.

I'll dig through some photo's I have. I don't have too many for 68 cars though.

As far as the road test for the 69 500's go, they are typically going to be of the same 2 cars, both of which have disc brakes. Not sure on how the 68 prototype is equiped though.

Charger_Fan

I wonder if they did the lighter engine bay color here so it would show up better in pics? :ahum:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

472 R/T SE

Stole this off Andy440's site.  It's not your Hemi or a Charger but close.  :-\

bullit68

hi troy.in all of my years dealing with these cars,i do not ever recall seeing a cad plated bendix booster.i know this is not the proof you're looking for,but i think they are all black.

bullit68

hi troy,me again.i just quickly looked up some cars for you.in the aug/03 mopar action they have pictures of the two mauve hemi chargers.one has power drum brakes with a painted booster.i know its an earlier car than you're after,but it is the same booster.also in the book"hemi"published by motorbooks international,on page 93 there is a picture of a 69 road runner with power drum brakes,and the booster is painted.its not a concourse resto or an original,but a decent driver type car.hope this helps some.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on January 06, 2007, 11:36:12 PM
Stole this off Andy440's site.  It's not your Hemi or a Charger but close.  :-\

Hey there Mike.. As we all know, the '68 440/383 cars had the heater hoses routed over the valve cover like in the picture you have. But, the hemi cars in '68 were suppose to have the heater hoses routed over the shock tower on the passenger side.. My hemi '68 doesn't seem to have had a bracket for there's no screw hole in the area above the shock tower on the inner fender panel that would hold a bracket... As far as the brakes go, I'm looking to see if the drum master cylinder is painted as well like on the power disc master cylinder. I do know the bendix booster is always painted.......

The 2nd picture is of what a '68 Hemi heater hose routing is supposed to be.. Mine doesn't have a hole for that bracket and it IS the original inner fender panel....  I as well noticed on that picture you posted Mike there are three holes punched through just below the washer bottle that aren't being used, just like my '68 !!!  That's good. I was wondering if anything went there but was lost before I owned her....

Finally, you'll notice on the bottom picture that the Charger's heater hose is over the hemi valve cover, not routed over the shock tower... It was just tied off with one of the heater hose aluminum straps.. This leads me to believe my '68 was similiar...
Troy

UFO

Found another hemi charger test.Instead of starting a new thread I`ll just add to this one.

UFO

Chad L. Magee

Troy-  I have a collection of 300+ vintage (1966-1974) car magazines that I am slowly scanning into my computer.  The ones that I have the most of are Hi Performance Cars and they do have some info on the cars that you are researching.  I will try to add what I have scanned in.......
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Chad L. Magee

Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......