News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to remove trunk floor?

Started by NHCharger, January 03, 2007, 10:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHCharger

I'm currently parting out a 72 Charger. The trunk floor is in surprisingly good shape. A fellow board member would like to buy it if I can get it out with out destroying it. Is the floor spot welded to the frame or a continuous weld? What's the best way to separate the floor from the frame? I only have a sawzall and small grinder, no plasma cutter. This does not look to be an easy task.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

terrible one

It's spot welded in. You can get ahold of a spot weld cutter from numerous places, but I've heard of people doing it with a normal drill bit as well. One thing's for sure though, it will be really time consuming!

Silver R/T

its all spot welded to the frame rails. I would suggest for him to order new panel. This tool works great for taking out those spot welds.
http://cgi.ebay.com/SPOT-WELD-CUTTER-4-BLADES-FITS-MAC-MATCO-SNAP-ON-TOOLS_W0QQitemZ290067333031QQihZ019QQcategoryZ303QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

The70RT

I just did one. It takes lots of hours and lots of spot weld cutters......then try ro remove it with out much damage would be another story. You can't remove the panel as a whole unless you are replacing frame rails.....for a couple hundered I would get a replacement one.....my thoughts.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

terrible one

But they don't make reproduction trunk pans for a '72, do they?

I'll bet you could do it by cutting it loose and then in half maybe?

The70RT

Quote from: terrible one on January 03, 2007, 10:28:36 PM
But they don't make reproduction trunk pans for a '72, do they?

I'll bet you could do it by cutting it loose and then in half maybe?

I wasn't sure. I never had a 3rd. gen. I would hate to have to remove and replace with a original one out of a junker. In project chager he used an original out of a junker though but he probably did a few.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Charger-Bodie

i put a used trunk floor in my 68 but i spiled it over the rails it took me 2 hours to drill the used one out of the parts car it can be done take youre time and clean it up real good so you can find the welds and try to drill the right in the center , i would reccoment center punching all of them really good before you drill any
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Nacho-RT74

I would take my time removing an original panel INSTEAD BUY A REPRO ONE... never is the same
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

moparguy01

are you saving the old trunk floor? if your not dont bother with the spot weld cutters. its a waste of a spot weld cutter. find the spot welds, and use a 4.5" grinder to grind the welds then pop it off with a air chisel. you can do this without damaging the metal of the frame rail. and it takes 1/3 the time.

same with bed sides on trucks. people spend a day using spot weld cutters when they could grind the welds off in an hour and be ready to do.

terrible one

Quote from: moparguy01 on January 04, 2007, 12:00:24 AM
are you saving the old trunk floor? if your not dont bother with the spot weld cutters. its a waste of a spot weld cutter. find the spot welds, and use a 4.5" grinder to grind the welds then pop it off with a air chisel. you can do this without damaging the metal of the frame rail. and it takes 1/3 the time.

same with bed sides on trucks. people spend a day using spot weld cutters when they could grind the welds off in an hour and be ready to do.

He's wanting to sell it.

moparguy01

well I just saw how to remove truck floor. and missed the part about wanting to sell it. leave me alone. im whacked up on pain killers  tonight. damn back.

terrible one

Quote from: moparguy01 on January 04, 2007, 01:18:03 AM
well I just saw how to remove truck floor. and missed the part about wanting to sell it. leave me alone. im whacked up on pain killers  tonight. damn back.

Hahaha nothing against you at all man. Have fun with your pain killers!  :icon_smile_cool:

Charger1973

If its a parts car and you dont care about the rear rails, just chop them off with the trunk floor.  Of course cut away the quarter panels and tail panel first, but theres not much else to it.  Let the buyer drill out all those spot welds, or if that doesnt work, maybe he can come drill them out of the parts car himself?  Just some more options to think about if you dont want to put that much time into it. 

Charger1973

I planned to sell this trunk floor but it had an accident the day I removed it from the car and I kind of gave up on trying to save it...  My friend saw a wasp nest when I removed the rear bumper and decided he could burn them out by lighting up a burger king sack and holding it up to the nest...  Yeah I dont think he realized the gas tank was right there and it made a pretty good sized fireball...    No one was hurt, but the trunk floor was wasted.  Oh well. 

squeakfinder

Will the floor pan fit threw the trunk opening? I don't know about a third generation but I don't they will on a second gen. I torched a floor out of an A body by cutting a long top of the frame rails,( You want to wear a resperator. )  Once it was out I was able to flip the floor over and grind the top of the rails off the bottom of the floor.

Oh, and the fuel tank was removed prior to starting this and none of my beer drinking buddy's were around at the time. ;)
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

RogerDodger

Quote from: charger1973 on January 04, 2007, 04:02:30 AM
I planned to sell this trunk floor but it had an accident the day I removed it from the car and I kind of gave up on trying to save it...  My friend saw a wasp nest when I removed the rear bumper and decided he could burn them out by lighting up a burger king sack and holding it up to the nest...  Yeah I dont think he realized the gas tank was right there and it made a pretty good sized fireball...    No one was hurt, but the trunk floor was wasted.  Oh well. 

Thats one way to strip the paint off it. :flame: