News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So, who has used a 440 Source Stroker Kit????

Started by Mfr426, January 03, 2007, 07:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Pretty much the question. Has anyone had any good, bad or ugly experiences with their kits? I'm looking to buy a kit from them shortly and wanted to get some comments about quality, etc.

Anyone have a kit (or any of their parts) for an extended period of time? I'd like to know how they hold up long term.

Thanks for any comments.

Mike R in Reading PA
69 Charger SE (R/T Clone in the works)

Mfr426

Mfr426

So it appears that no one had purchased any stroker kits from these guys? That really REALLY surprises me!  ???

That does not give me the warm fuzzies about getting a kit from them. I would have thought with all the motor nuts on this board someone had to use their kits??? I just don't want to buy a kit and have it turn out to be junk. They don't appear to offer any warranty on their products. I can understand that as once it's out of their hands who the heck knows how it's installed and badly it's broken in. But, I'm still not ready to pull the trigger with little to no feedback from this group. I guess the upside is that I searched on Google groups to see if there were any bad comments and did not find any negative.

Mike R in Reading PA

mikepmcs

Mike

Yeah kind of strange Ron or Chryco haven't said something about this one or at least had some feedback for you.  There is a couple of other heavy hitter engine guys on here as well that i've seen putting out some good info lately.  Hopefully someone can help you out soon.
I can't find anything on the google either.

Free  :bump:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

MOPARHOUND!

99% positive feedback from what I have read about them.  I wouldn't hesitate to use Brandon's parts.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2997594&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Another thread, that wanders off topic:  http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3131460&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

My stroker was built before the 440source kits came out.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

defiance

Do a scan on moparts for 440source; they get so many posts about 'em that even the biggest fans are getting tired of the threads :P
Seriously, though, nearly everyone I've seen discuss them loves them.  There are a few exceptions:

-) some people accuse brandon of buying some of his parts from chinese manufacturers.  Brandon has indicated that while some of his parts are imported, most remain American. 

-) some others indicate that they've seen parts with tolerances out of whack a bit.  Others point out that while the tolerances aren't perfect, they are WELL within reasonable limits, and better than the competition.

-) Hughes engines made a big deal about slamming them (they have an article in their tech archives about it).  The claims hughes made have been pretty well debunked, from what I've seen.  It's an interesting article, though; and brandon's response (both are on their respective sites) is pretty educational as well.

I'll personally be ordering a 440source kit (and some other parts as well) as soon as my wallet recovers from the pummelling my body shop keeps giving it (probably 4-6 months).  I think the most common short answer is:

"Yeah, 440source has great parts, but as with any rotating assembly, have all the parts thoroughly checked and sized by your machinist when the engine goes together." (not an actual quote, just paraphrasing what I've read quite a few times :) )

Mfr426

Thanks Hound and Defiance! This is exactly what I wanted to see. I cant wait to call and order my 512 kit.

I'll certainly post once I complete the project.

Thanks again!

firefighter3931

The feedback on 440source has been generally positive, allthough some have encountered "issues". Just make sure that your machinist looks everything over, closely.  :scope: Especially the rod big ends after they have been cycled a few times for bolt stretch. The parts themselves are very good quality but the machining might need some correcting.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

I have a 512" kit coming right now, first one from 440 Source so far , I am not worried , great to deal with , cranks are custom built for Brandon & supposedly do not need work to clearance the cranks , just bore notches to clear the rods , I can let you know shortly 

Mfr426

Neil, I'll be eagerly awaiting your update on your kit.

Thanks

Mike

Challenger_7

Quote from: Mfr426 on January 09, 2007, 03:33:24 PM
Thanks Hound and Defiance! This is exactly what I wanted to see. I cant wait to call and order my 512 kit.

I'll certainly post once I complete the project.

Thanks again!

Hi buddy. This is the exact kit I was contemplating on ordering and would be very anxious to hear from you.
You might also be interested to follow my thread too, as I have posed many questions both to Brandon and the goup, and the answers may also trigger a thing or two for you to check.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=22953.0

71 Chally Conv 383 Magnum Manual - Hurst
71 Chally Auto 383 Magnum R/T 100% Orig
71 Chally Auto 400
70 Chally Auto 318
72 Charger SE Manual - Hurst
73 Plymouth Satellite "Sebring Plus" 100% Orig
Other non Dodge Muscle

Challenger340

Yes, I have used some "customer supplied" 440 source Rotating Assemblies. They work fine on stock blocks, same as other offshore type stuff.

The actual "crank grind" is not always "puss" on their Cranks, but thats common on all cheaper product lines, Eagle, etc.

Some issues with main cap interference using Chinese Cranks on the INDY MAXX Blocks, but same with EAGLE, ETC.
NOT the cranks fault, the DAMN CAPS on the MAXX BLOCKS are too big !
Stock blocks fit fine.

Good products, seem to be good people.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

daytonalo

I have just built a 472 hemi with their stroker kit , and a buddy has built 2- 472 hemis  , no problems !!!!!!!!!!!

dave571

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 10, 2007, 01:15:50 AM
I have a 512" kit coming right now, first one from 440 Source so far , I am not worried , great to deal with , cranks are custom built for Brandon & supposedly do not need work to clearance the cranks , just bore notches to clear the rods , I can let you know shortly 

Keep us up to date Neil. 
I haven't seen one first hand yet, and am interested in how the pieces check out
Cheers

Chryco Psycho

Mfr426

Well my engine builder called me the other night and my block passed the test so he's ready for my stroker kit to be ordered. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was hoping that he would stall as I dont have the cash ready. Oh well, I'll find it as I cant stop now!

Anyway, he suggested I order the kit and he'll bore the block as needed based on the kit. He wanted to do this before he bored the block 30 over. Makes sense to me.

I have to research my cam shaft next. I'm going to use my stock heads now (cleaned up of course). I cant afford the $2,000 price tag on those puppies.

kamkuda

Newly available is the 440source balanced kits.  The cost of building a stroker is becoming cheaper and cheaper.
http://www.440source.com/balancing.htm

Challenger_7

I think they decided to advertize this after I asked them if they have such a facility, as in Lebanon, where I live, we have no such facility, and I wanted to know if I buy their kit, can they send it perfectly balanced. They confirmed they can :yesnod:
71 Chally Conv 383 Magnum Manual - Hurst
71 Chally Auto 383 Magnum R/T 100% Orig
71 Chally Auto 400
70 Chally Auto 318
72 Charger SE Manual - Hurst
73 Plymouth Satellite "Sebring Plus" 100% Orig
Other non Dodge Muscle

oldkimmer

over on bigblockdart.com there has been some interesting discussions on 440source............kim...
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOPARHOUND!

1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

Mfr426

That is good news. Thanks for posting. I can only hope they get their 512 cranks in soon. I'm ready to move on the kit.