News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dremel tools

Started by Charger1973, January 01, 2007, 03:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger1973

I just got one of these and havent even used it yet, im sure there will be a million times when this will come in handy while working on my Charger.  Im curious how many of you guys use these and what kind of work you have done on your car with it? 

Wakko

Holy crap it's the best tool ever.  I use it constantly when fabricating small brackets and panels, for polishing and cleaning and even etching.  Did you get the fancy one with the case?  If not get it...be easier.  And get some safety glasses to keep in the kit at all times or you WILL get metal in your eye! :icon_smile_blackeye:
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Charger1973

Quote from: Wakko on January 01, 2007, 03:29:18 AM
Holy crap it's the best tool ever.  I use it constantly when fabricating small brackets and panels, for polishing and cleaning and even etching.  Did you get the fancy one with the case?  If not get it...be easier.  And get some safety glasses to keep in the kit at all times or you WILL get metal in your eye! :icon_smile_blackeye:

Yeah I got the big set with the case.  Good call on the safety glasses... ill have to remember to go look for them tomorrow, I think they are lost in my truck somewhere.  Thats one thing I always seem to forget unless its right there. 

Daytona R/T SE

I had to buy a new one this year :flame:

My old one wore out, actually it burned itself up in my hand - smoke - sparks, and a little bit of flames before I screamed like a little girl and dropped it on the concrete floor :scared:

Did I mention it was over THIRTY YEARS OLD?  ;D

Great tool, you'll use the hell out of it :yesnod:

Buy a bunch of the little cut-off wheels you'll find a ton of things to do with them.

Like Wakko said: Safety glasses are mandatory-these little suckers spin up very fast. The cutoff wheels regularly explode into little shards that will put an eye out...so don't turn it on without saftey glasses :scope:

mikepmcs

Don't listen to them, safety glasses are for suckers.  I mean who doesn't think a patch is cool.

v/r
Capt Ron.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

tan top

i have had a dremal for years ,  awesome tool  , when a di grinder is to big   or  the air saw is to awkward for a intricate  cut out comes the dremal  . like  (Daytona R/TSE ) says defiantly  use  shield or safety glasses  as the cut of wheels  can be deadly :icon_smile_blackeye:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Todd Wilson

They are a great tool. You wont use it for 6 months and then have something you cant figure out how to do and out comes the dremel. Just wear eye protection when you use cutting disks as they will come apart and fly!!

Great cut cutting and polishing and on and on  a never ending tool. Go to the store and check out the bits you can get for them and that will throw ideas in your head on what you can use it for.

Todd

Silver R/T

got one and been using it anywhere from sanding rust off, cutting metal, shaping plastic/fiberglass, etc etc. Best $20 spent.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

terrible one

I love(d) my Dremel. I burnt it up but it gave me a lot of good service!

kab69440

My car has been the death of no less than four Dremels. And Santa brought me another one last week...  As far as the cutting wheels exploding, use those diamond dust covered steel discs. You get a lot more mileage out of them, they don't explode, and they make a much thinner kerf when you need a precision cut.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

dongar69

Every cut i've made on my Charger has been with a dremel. Most used tool in my shop.
But please............DON'T FORGET THE SAFETY GLASSES!!!!!!!!!

is_it_EVER_done?

Get a flexible shaft if you don't have one already, and a sewing machine foot pedal from a sewing machine/vacuum repair shop (just a foot operated rheostat) to controll the rpm's, and there is not much you can't do with a Dremel.

I have had the same one for 20+ years, and I seriously doubt if anyone could use one more than I do mine, so I can't understand how you guys have gone through multiples?

Bandit72

i must just have bad luck with these, or i use them way to much, cause i keep buring them up within like 6 months of getting them :(
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

6pkrunner

I've gone through 4 of them and will keep getting them. Better than Vise Grips as man's greatest invention. There is a plastic/nylon sleeve that connects the motor to the shank and if used continously it will heat up and the splines will melt. That's my problem with them. If one could grind/cut/drill for 40 minute intervals and allow the Dremel to cool, it would last quite a while. Also for tight spots in porting heads they are great, but the iron filings will get sucked into the motor and kill it off sooner than it should.
But you will love it, and get another if it dies on you. The crack cocaine of small power tools.

kab69440

A piece of reinforced 1/4" fuel line and a couple drops of good quality CA glue replace that coupler on the cheap.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 6pkrunner on January 02, 2007, 06:56:52 AM
There is a plastic/nylon sleeve that connects the motor to the shank and if used continously it will heat up and the splines will melt.
Oh, so that's what happened to mine. It lost about 1/4th it's normal rpm's a while ago, when I was hoggin' out some hole. :-[

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

kab69440

More than likely, CF, you blew a resistor on the speed control and now that particular circuit is open.

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

terrible one

Oh man now I want to go get another one after reading all of this.

bordin34

I just got one on  christmas and it is great I used it for sanding my ca already, takes rust and bondo instantly. I got a craftman variable speed. I think it has 5 or 6 speeds. Craftsman is just Dremel with a different colored case.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

old man

This is far one of the most handy tools to have around the shop or house. I have used it on almost project I've worked on in the last few years. Can't get a rounded nut off take the cutting wheel ( with safety glasses on ) and cut notches on two sides and then use a chisel and hammer and nut breaks in two leaving threads on bolt perfect. I can't say enough about how good this tool is.
70 Challenger T/A, 66 Charger 440, 73 Duster 340,79 Little Red Express

Lord Warlock

I don't use mine often, but there are things that occasionally need to be done that only a dremel can do right.  Its kind of funny to hear everyone's warning about the cutoff wheels that shatter and shoot across the work surface.  I've experienced it numerous times as well.  But if you think dremels can be dangerous or painful, just wait till you use a wire wheel on a grinder and the wires come loose when stripping paint or cleaning rust scale, the wires shoot off and embed themselves into your skin.  I've found them in my arms and legs, and once got stuck in the nether region in a painful spot. 

Anyway, get a good selection of dremel bits, you'll find the larger expansion kits much cheaper than buying individual pieces.  I've even got the 3 foot extension with a 90 degree angle kit on mine.  Makes it easier to handle in tight spaces. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

terrible one

Quote from: Lord Warlock on January 04, 2007, 07:25:17 PM
But if you think dremels can be dangerous or painful, just wait till you use a wire wheel on a grinder and the wires come loose when stripping paint or cleaning rust scale, the wires shoot off and embed themselves into your skin.

Haha ah man I've been through that way too much!

tan top

:iagree:      wire brush on a grinder  :yesnod:  i even used welding gloves &  apron  +  safety shield , still had some of them stuck in my arms / legs  and feet  :o  like  thicker akupunch  ( spelling) needles         :cryin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Chryco Psycho

I bought a Makita Die Grinder in 86 , I have ported 40 + sets of heads with it , installed 3 sets of brushes  , 2 sets of brgs  & it is still going strong
I like the die grinders better same versatility but stronger with 1/4" drive

Charger1973

Ive only begun to test this thing out but I love it already.  I was bored and took a peice of walnut firewood and started carving on it the other night with my pocket knife.  Next thing I knew I was looking at the rough shape of a pistol grip.  So I busted out the dremel and fine tuned it.  Its not for a Charger, its for my 4 speed 79 K5 Blazer.  Its not identical to a Mopar pistol grip but I definately took a few styling cues from it.  I'll post up some pics when im finished.  I stained it and im working on the clearcoat now.