News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how much labor cost to Install!!!

Started by bricklayer, December 30, 2006, 11:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bricklayer

How much would I expect to pay to have quarter skins  installed both sides outer wheel house both sides trunk extensions's and trunk pans? just a thought maybe some ball park figures  thanks  tom  1969 DODGE CHARGER

Silver R/T

$500 per each 1/4 panel sounds reasonable in todays body shops
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

jaak

that sound reasonable I guess, A guy I now had a set installed on a 68 Dart for 800, but that was 6-7 years ago.

Jason

dads_69

First off, don't listen to Silver. $500.00 won't get you much more than a quick mud the quarters up and primered out the door for what he stated. I work at a body shop. The time it takes to do what your needing/asking price wise. Removing quarter skins, outer wheel houses alone takes about 4 to 5 hours, then there is clean up time before you even think about installing the new parts. Another 4 to 5 hours, mock up time etc. Trunk pans and ext. Not a fun job, drilling the old parts carefully, 15 hours or so. Once again, clean up time. 6 hours at least. Now your at an estimated 36 hours at $55.00 an hour. Total so far, $1980.00. Don't forget theres also going to be a material bill on top of that price I quoted you. $540.00 at least so far, not total mat. bill yet of what will be used on your project is yet tallied up. By the time your ready for the rear half of the car to be assambled and ready for primer with body work being done by now, add at least another 20 hours and thats at $55.00 an hour also, now your at another $1100.00. I do this for a living, I've done a few in my day, so I know what it takes. Five grand just to do a rear half of a car is cheap when you break it all down. Sure, there will guys coming on line here and saying what a rip off body work and paint is, but the end result tells all without me telling them off. Keep in mind, you don't even have paint on the car yet, thats another topic I believe for you.
Hope this helps.
Mark
I also want to state that I am not implying that this implies to the rest of the car either for body work, roof, fenders, doors, hood etc. Thats going to cost you more as well besides what the rear half is already costing you. When a car is being repaired or restored, it gets taken apart and put together, mock up a few times before its so called ready for final sand and paint. Messure twice, cut once.
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

mikepmcs

:iagree:

You want it done right the first time for sure.  i hang out at a body shop that my friend owns and man those boys really work hard.  I might be working there when I retire from the Navy in about 3 months, that's if I can sell my vette(little tough to sell up here in maine this time of year, anyone want one) and can afford to work for cheap.  But man what a blast, I've wanted to do body work all my life, it's like artwork to me.
I've learned so much just watching those guys over the last year.  Little stuff that I would have never thought of. 
Ok, i'm rambling but Mark is right, you will get what you pay for, so do some research on the body shop you choose and ask alot of questions.  I bet some members on here will be happy to provide answers to questions on body work.
Good Luck.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

dads_69

I'm looking up old estimates I've done over the last few years on cars. I did a '68 about 8 years ago, my own, 240 hours later, it was done, more less. If I had paid a shop to do that work, not being 100% restored would have cost me $13,200.00 alone. We've cut cars in half and put them back together, musclecars, not your everyday total reconstruct butcher job for resale. If you can do any of the work yourself, as you can see, it will save you some time and money in the long run.
Mark

Bandit72

i was quoted 1100 in labor for both quarters on my 72.....
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

NHCharger

Listen to Dad, he knows what he's talking about. You couldn't even get the worst Maaco Shop out there to do that for $ 500 each. Body work ain't cheap these days. I was going to ball park you 4 to 6k. Your talking about replacing most of the sheet metal on the rear of the car, this is not a weekend project if you want it done right. Plus you never know what your going to find once you get into the project. If it's not done right the first time you will be constantly paying, (don't ask me how I know  :icon_smile_blackeye:).
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Silver R/T

Quote from: dads_69 on December 30, 2006, 02:29:51 PM
First off, don't listen to Silver. $500.00 won't get you much more than a quick mud the quarters up and primered out the door for what he stated. I work at a body shop. The time it takes to do what your needing/asking price wise. Removing quarter skins, outer wheel houses alone takes about 4 to 5 hours, then there is clean up time before you even think about installing the new parts. Another 4 to 5 hours, mock up time etc. Trunk pans and ext. Not a fun job, drilling the old parts carefully, 15 hours or so. Once again, clean up time. 6 hours at least. Now your at an estimated 36 hours at $55.00 an hour. Total so far, $1980.00. Don't forget theres also going to be a material bill on top of that price I quoted you. $540.00 at least so far, not total mat. bill yet of what will be used on your project is yet tallied up. By the time your ready for the rear half of the car to be assambled and ready for primer with body work being done by now, add at least another 20 hours and thats at $55.00 an hour also, now your at another $1100.00. I do this for a living, I've done a few in my day, so I know what it takes. Five grand just to do a rear half of a car is cheap when you break it all down. Sure, there will guys coming on line here and saying what a rip off body work and paint is, but the end result tells all without me telling them off. Keep in mind, you don't even have paint on the car yet, thats another topic I believe for you.
Hope this helps.
Mark
I also want to state that I am not implying that this implies to the rest of the car either for body work, roof, fenders, doors, hood etc. Thats going to cost you more as well besides what the rear half is already costing you. When a car is being repaired or restored, it gets taken apart and put together, mock up a few times before its so called ready for final sand and paint. Messure twice, cut once.

Dont listen to Silver. Ya, right buddy. I do bodywork also and I could hook fellow mopar owner to have 1/4 replaced for $500 a side. You're not only one who works at body shop and knows whats going on.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

Quote from: Bandit72 on December 30, 2006, 04:17:26 PM

I was close $500 a side ...so $100 bucks off.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Daytona R/T SE

Dont listen to Silver. Ya, right buddy. I do bodywork also and I could hook fellow mopar owner to have 1/4 replaced for $500 a side. You're not only one who works at body shop and knows whats going on.

That would explain your car's spray bomb paint job  ;)

dads_69

Quote from: Silver R/T on December 30, 2006, 11:12:38 PM
Quote from: Bandit72 on December 30, 2006, 04:17:26 PM

I was close $500 a side ...so $100 bucks off.
Silver, how long have you been doing body work and painting? I'm talking years, not days of experience? Do not talk down to me boy, you do body work/paint your way, whatever way that might be, but when someone asks how much to do body or paint, I can damn sure tell them the correct way and how much vs. you being a slap jockey on your how too suggestions. Don't ever underestimate me. I've been in this business since I was 15, 39 now, you do the math. Don't try to come back with words on well, and how come we always pick on you and crap, just don't talk, listen and learn. Do not PM me either with your cry baby actions either. Now go back to washing cars at that so called body shop you work at.
Mark

Silver R/T

You do not underestimate me too senior. I've got A.A.S. degree in auto body/paint. $500 will get your 1/4 cut off and weld new ones on. I did not say $500 will do everything he described.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on December 30, 2006, 11:35:28 PM

That would explain your car's spray bomb paint job ;)

what paint job are you talking about exactly? You might need some glasses. It is primered for right now and awaiting bodywork/paint.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Daytona R/T SE

what paint job are you talking about exactly? You might need some glasses. It is primered for right now and awaiting bodywork/paint.

Is that a fancy way of saying "It's currently sinking in the mud in my mom's backyard" ;)

dads_69

Quote from: Silver R/T on December 31, 2006, 12:27:49 AM
You do not underestimate me too senior. I've got A.A.S. degree in auto body/paint. $500 will get your 1/4 cut off and weld new ones on. I did not say $500 will do everything he described.
Yes you did, you said $500.00 sounds reasonable in todays body shops. For what he is asking. Silver, pull your head out of your butt. When I said listen and learn, I meant it. Meaning, don't keep replying with your lack of knowledge. What you have is A.D.D. He also states that he needs outer wheel houses installed, trunk pan and ext. Read what he wrote about for an estimate.
Mark

Silver R/T

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on December 31, 2006, 12:36:53 AM

Nope, sitting in warm garage right now. Gathering parts for it and getting parts for my welder/compressor so I can start my home shop. Thats of course when spare time/money allows as Im paying mortgage on house we bought recently and prepping my Cobra for spring racing season.

Is that a fancy way of saying "It's currently sinking in the mud in my mom's backyard" ;)

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Mfr426

:popcrn:

I did my quarters on my 69 and will tell you that it took me weeks to do. Granted I did not work on it full time and am not a body shop guy but I can see that this is BIG job and big $$$ if you want it done right. Once you take off the old quarters you realize that you dont have good material to weld to for the new panels. I needed to graft in outer wheel wells, sand blast to get good metal to work with, etc. That took me hours and hours.

Good luck and let the shop take their time and do it right. Also, reuse the factory edges at the doors, etc. I made the mistake of using the full repop'd panels and that added on hours and hours to get the "less than crisp" corners to look original.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Mike R in Reading PA

73chargers4404

man you guys are just getting rude. ?? :o, ive had a local shop here in Springfield Mo,give me a quote of 350.00 a side  thats just to hang it no mud work.and the guy does good work he welded in my floor pans in for 325.00 thats with me cutting and fitting it .

hemi-hampton

I'll have to agree with Dads 69. To do it right will take lots of time & money. And good chance once your have entire trunk cut out you'll then notice rear frame looking kinda weak where shackles & leaf springs meet frame. Possibly meaning 2 new frame rails. You'll say what the hell, going this far, everything else is new & replaced why not. Been there done that many times. I've seen many crappy new trunks installed & 9 out 0f 10 look like crap in my opinion. Sure, I can slap a 1/4 on for $500 but thats it, slap it on & call it done. A few spot welds & done. Let somebody else grind the welds & then Bondo & prime & block. Not my job, I'm done for $500. Oh, a continuous weld on 1/4, that will cost more too. LEON.

dads_69

Quote from: 73chargers4404 on December 31, 2006, 03:02:05 PM
man you guys are just getting rude. ?? :o, ive had a local shop here in Springfield Mo,give me a quote of 350.00 a sideĀ  thats just to hang it no mud work.and the guy does good work he welded in my floor pans in for 325.00 thats with me cutting and fitting it .
Your getting what your paying for then, look before you leap. Thanks to those who understand what it takes to do body/paint repair, I typed it earlier that there would be a few people who don't understand what it takes, and sure enough.
Mark

bricklayer

OK thanks for the response but as stated above first things first got it out of media ground of all the mud out and both 1/4s they do  need attention I'm going to buy the whole  skins but only going to use what i need. But when i cut out the bad, worst case seniaro outter wheel well/ trunk extensions ect.. best case we can use everything and just attach to existing wells I will know more tuesday whan i cutr 1/4s out  thanks tom

AutoRust

We charge $65/hour to do this work.Rust repair is ALL we do.
No way am I hanging a rear quarter for $500. Thats less then 8 hours.No way. Dont even bring it in. And you can be sure for that money no finish work will be done. If there is, look for the hidden shortcuts, ( AKA: hack work)
If you dont replace the outer wheelhouses, and there is rust on the wheel lip edge ( as usual) you will want to repair it now. If you shortcut that area, in a year or 2 it WILL be back.

Typically I quote 30 hours for quarters, 8-10 hours for inner/outer wheelhouses (each side), trunk extensions are only done if we are doing the complete trunk, which is quoted at 24-30 hours. This would not include any work needed to the rockers, or where the wheelhouses join into the back floors, or upper trunk.
There is ALWAYS more then meets the eye with these cars.
Add materials in, add for the unexpected, add for the L.W.F, Add for anything else thats needed and away you go.
I think Dads_69 is the most realistic reply.
Nothing to see here folks, its just a Bluesmobile

bricklayer

Well I cut out the bad and it is going to need outter wheel wells extensions and the trunk floor could go either way but better now then later I guess looks like it is going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $4000/$5000 to do the work looks like I have to sell another gun  thanks  tom

andy74

in case you havent noticed,ignore any bull shit that comes from silver r/t,his advice is usually as full of shit as he is- :flame:

on topic-id agree with the majority here,it could be as much as a few grand,depending on how much extra damage is uncovered once you start tearing apart,usually rust is worse than it looks,not better. good luck with it and get us some pics!