News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new & confused

Started by Imposter71, December 29, 2006, 10:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imposter71

Hello,

ran across this site the other day and I really like it. Seems like a great group of people. I just became the proud owner of a 73 charger. Never had any mopar vehicles before but they sure seem to have a loyal following. My wife got the car from a family friend as a surprise Xmas gift for me. We got it from the original owners and it has 71,000 miles. It has been sitting under a carport for about 10 yrs, seems to be in pretty good shape. I'll post pics as soon as I can, it is a gold color w/a white top, automatic, 318. I have a billion questions as I really know nothing about these cars at all.

So, to start -   Guy we got it from said the oil light came on as they brought it to my house. The oil has been recently changed(2x since it was sitting so long) before they moved it. Didn't overheat, make any noises, knocks, etc. Just the light came on. I checked the oil and it is still full. Where should I start looking for the problem? I'm usually not lucky enough that it would be as simple as a faulty light but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask if they might be prone to that.

Other than that I know it needs an exhaust system. We don't need state inspections where I am if the car is over 30yrs old so I was thinking of just running duals w/some decent sounding mufflers. Will this effect the way it runs due to the other emissions stuff on there?

This will be the first weekend I have had it so I am looking forward to really getting a good look at it. Hopefully it won't need much and I can drive it around soon.

any comments/suggestions are appreciated -

thanks!  Tom

Nacho-RT74

HI and welcome!!!! nice you get a 73... ANOTHER LATES 3RD GEN PROUD OWNER :D :D :D...

First of all, WE NEED PICS... is a mandatory for every newbie with a Charger. :P

Is a SE ? hartop ? Coupe ? Vin number will say you: WP29 is SE ( quarter window louvers ), WH23 is hardtop ( roll down quarter window ), WL21 Coupe ( non roll down quarter window ).
Quote from: Imposter71 on December 29, 2006, 10:20:39 PM

So, to start -   Guy we got it from said the oil light came on as they brought it to my house. The oil has been recently changed(2x since it was sitting so long) before they moved it. Didn't overheat, make any noises, knocks, etc. Just the light came on. I checked the oil and it is still full. Where should I start looking for the problem? I'm usually not lucky enough that it would be as simple as a faulty light but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask if they might be prone to that.

It could be one of these three reasons:
-Shorted oil sender wire ( grounded ) somewhere.
-Damaged Oil sender.
-or a REAL read, so even you have oil, maybe is not arriving to top of engine, where sender is. Damaged Oil pump.

ALSO Frequently, engines with LOOOOOOOON time periods without running, just drops the oil completelly to oil pan, so pump gets air inside. With air inside there is not vacuum to pull the oil from pan and push inside the engine, then priming oil pump will save that. However I doubt that is the REAL problem because you have oftenly reading, so at least partially, oil is arriving. UNLES THE REAL READ IS OIL NEVER ARRIVES and real NO OIL signal is being cutting because same reasons ( wire and sender )

On the worst of cases, oil ducts on engine are stuck, but don't think so
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Imposter71

Thanks for the welcome.  It is a hard top. Split bench seat, column shift, ac, Am radio.

I picked up a cheap service manual and see that the oil pump is external on the side of the block. I am going to check  that light and price a pump and I will probably change ( or at least pull and try to clean) the oil pump first just to be on the safe side. I sure don't want to tear anything up, I think the car is probably in pretty good mechanical shape and I am looking forward to driving her around. There is a pretty good Mopar folowing here( Port City Mopars) so I want to get to one of their cruise ins.

I'll get some pics over the weekend.

Charger_Fan

Before you pull & clean the oil pump (they're inside the oil pan on a 318, outside on 383 & larger), you should get a cheap mechanical oil gauge, unscrew your electrical oil sender, screw the line for the oil gauge in the sender hole & see what your oil pressure truly reads.

Low oil pressure could be one or more of the following;
worn out oil pump
worn out main bearings
worn or broken cam bearings
broken lifter & push rod
oil galley plug fallen out from bad installation (not very likely at all)

My bets are on worn out main bearings. If the mains are worn & loose, most of the oil pressure will blow itself out right there...leaving not much else for the rest of the engine.

Oh & welcome to the site! :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

is_it_EVER_done?

Before you do anything, pull one of the valve covers off (whichever is easiest), and start the engine. If you have oil pressure you will see it coming through the rockers in just a couple of seconds, If you don't see any oil flowing in about 10 seconds max., shut it off as you have a problem.

The oil light is usually dependable, but is not immune to problems such as the wire comming off and grounding, varnish causing it to not allow the mechanism to move far enough to "open" the circut, sludge build up that stops the oil flow, etc. Plus it could be a possible electrical problem due to mice, etc.

If you have oil flow around the rockers, you are safe to run the engine while locating he problem. If there is no oil flow, you have a mechanical problem and will need to find/repair it before you run the engine again.

Nacho-RT74

as stated, Oil pump is INSIDE the engine on Small Blocks and Outside on Big Blocks/Raised Blocks.

Oil filters are attached on to block sidewall on SBs, passenger side, and directly to the PUMP ITSELF on BB/RBs, driver side.

Another stuff about oil light. Standart cluster are printed circuit board with multipin Round Plug and IS NOT UNCOMMOM that pin what feeds the oil light could be some loose  from the printed circuit board. Try grounding directly the oil sender wire to check if light keeps on without blink.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Imposter71

thanks for the suggestions. I started the car for the first time since they dropped it off and told me about the gauge. light came on for a few seconds at first and went out. i have moved the car around the yard a couple times and no more light. I do have a mechanical gauge in my garage somewhere and since that seems like the simplest way to get the most info quick I will probably go ahead and hook it up and go from there. I'll let you know what happens. I tried to post a pic but it is too large, as soon as I can figure out how to make it smaller I'll put one up.

mikepmcs

you can email the pic to me and i'll resize it for you and post it, or you can go to the help/site suggestions portion of this site and it will tell you how.

rmdracing@adelphia.net

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Imposter71

OK got it to work but accidentally posted it in the wrong spot. Let me try again!

4cruzin

Welcome aboard!  Great looking MOPAR!   :yesnod:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

tan top

looks a nice straight & original looking charger from the picture  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

andy74

looks good, hope you figure the problem out,and welcome! should check out da charger guys 3rd gen site too

Imposter71

Thanks.

Haven't had much time to mess with it this week but I have moved it and the light stays off. I think I am going to change the oil again and hook up a mech gauge. I have to check the brakes too - they feel like they are sticking, she sat for a while before I got her. Did put a little wax/cleaner/polish on the hood and one fender. The paint may come back pretty well if I can get some of the oxidation off. $$ are tight since xmas , I have a jeep CJ8 scrambler I am hoping to sell and that will help with the cash flow a little, then I can put a little money into this and hopefully get the charger on the road.

Judhudson

Awesome 3rd gen buddy!  Welcome to the club :D