News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The first '69 Charger?

Started by hemi68charger, December 29, 2006, 08:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang...
Some of you, especially you Chris, will remember this car when it was on ebay some time ago.. A friend of mine here in Houston bought the car and is looking to start the restoration ASAP.. I went over to look at the car today and look at his documentation from Govier and the fender tag... The car is definitely unique. Some say that this could be possibly the very first '69 Charger built. It's the magazine feature car and has a pre-production date of July,28, 1968........ Here are some interesting things about the car that had me scratching my head alot.

1. The mysterious hole by the wiper motor is there !!!!!!  I saw my first in real life.. lol
2. Has a '68 version dash pad
3. Has '68 version heater controls
4. Was told the woodgrain instrument paneling was original
and
5. Has the black button typical of the '68 model year..

The car was coded as show car, empty tank.. I can't remember the "Y" code, but I saw the fender tag code breakdown from Galen Govier..

Anyways,,,,,,,, Does anyone have more pictures of ads of this R6 Charger R/T?

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

dkn1997

Jesus!  my 68 was built in June of 68!!  looks like maybe mine was darn near the end of the run, huh?
RECHRGED

Charger1973

Any of these the same car? 

charger Downunder

Did it have that big RT badge up front on the light cover.
[/quote]

hemi68charger

I have those pics as well.. But, not sure if it's the same car for those have the rocker moulding and this one's not coded for it... So, I'm confused a little there..... But, I did find this photo in Chris's site that, to me, confirms that the car could have been built with the '68 dash pad and other '68 components......  It's all makes sense......

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemi68charger

Quote from: charger Downunder on December 29, 2006, 08:28:18 PM
Did it have that big RT badge up front on the light cover.

Yes.....
Troy

Shakey

There was a thread about this car on this site when it was up for sale.  I looked but had no luck.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Troy, I dont know if that B&W pic is of the R6 car.  It definately does have a 68 pad in it though.  In the 69 Charger brochure, there are a lot of 68 only items pictured on the cars interior especially...it was a tan nterior car.   I think the one in the B & W pic is the same car (T5 copper)

As far as the tag the Y code is Y91 Show Car Finish....also on the top left corner of the tag it has the #'s "247"...I have never seen those #'s or the Y91 designation on any other tag.

Tag also has another "oddity" on it as well.   Hamtramck built cars such as this one only coded the body color once if the car was also coded for a vinyl roof which this one was (V1X black)...this tag has R6 (body)R6 (roof)on it twice.
Only St. Louis built cars coded the body & roof color regardless if it got a vinyl roof or not.
Troy good luck with the resto & look forward to tracking/registering the new owner of the car  :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Also one important note.......this car was coded G31 & G33....Left & right remote mirrors......look at all the pics posted... :scratchchin:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

UFO

How about another oddity,The pic of rad cradle.Is that second character a 8 instead of a 9?In person you would be able to read it better.

THE CHARGER PUNK

wouldnt the first 69 charger be coded as XS29L90000001 or is 68-70 all the same numbers?(all years production numbers combined)

UFO

Looking at the photos from the auction.Maybe this was the first(or very early) application of the S.E. trim.
Being that early maybe the S.E. code was not finalised.

UFO

Just be glad it didnt end up looking like this one

hemi68charger

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on December 29, 2006, 09:20:38 PM
Troy, I dont know if that B&W pic is of the R6 car.  It definately does have a 68 pad in it though.  In the 69 Charger brochure, there are a lot of 68 only items pictured on the cars interior especially...it was a tan nterior car.   I think the one in the B & W pic is the same car (T5 copper)

As far as the tag the Y code is Y91 Show Car Finish....also on the top left corner of the tag it has the #'s "247"...I have never seen those #'s or the Y91 designation on any other tag.

Tag also has another "oddity" on it as well.   Hamtramck built cars such as this one only coded the body color once if the car was also coded for a vinyl roof which this one was (V1X black)...this tag has R6 (body)R6 (roof)on it twice.
Only St. Louis built cars coded the body & roof color regardless if it got a vinyl roof or not.
Troy good luck with the resto & look forward to tracking/registering the new owner of the car  :cheers:

Chris,
According to Galen's documentation, the "247" was an inspection stamping... Yes, as you stated, it was Y91...

Could it be that even if the G31 and G33 was designated, the car didn't get both? I know, far-fetched.. I didn't get a pic of the passenger side and don't recall... I was too busy with checking out the other items on the car.......
Troy

2fast4u

I would like to see more pictures of this car.  Inside and out and from different angles!  This is really cool!!

2fast
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

terrible one

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on December 29, 2006, 09:46:27 PM
wouldnt the first 69 charger be coded as XS29L90000001 or is 68-70 all the same numbers?(all years production numbers combined)

That's what I was wondering as well. Anyone know the scoop here?

Drache

Quote from: terrible one on December 29, 2006, 11:42:58 PM

Well technically it wouldn't BE the first '69 Charger. Looking at all the '68 parts it seems more of a prototypish car thrown together for the press mainly just to show off the new bumper/grille and tail lights, thus the reason it doesn't have a 0000001. Course that doesn't explain why it still has XP29....  :rotz:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

JimShine

Seeing that many 1969 style items appear to be actually produced and not hand fabricated, I would say that this is technically a pre-production. Pre-production means they are built before final specs and tooling are completed. Prototypes are often hand fabricated and are the templates used to create the tooling.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Drache on December 30, 2006, 01:11:38 AM
Quote from: terrible one on December 29, 2006, 11:42:58 PM

Well technically it wouldn't BE the first '69 Charger. Looking at all the '68 parts it seems more of a prototypish car thrown together for the press mainly just to show off the new bumper/grille and tail lights, thus the reason it doesn't have a 0000001. Course that doesn't explain why it still has XP29....  :rotz:

My friend's car is a XS,  not a XP.....  It is in all intent and purpose, a real R/T, yet it's a pre-production build-date Charger R/T.
Troy

Just 6T9 CHGR

The VIN designation of 100039 means it was the 39th vehicle built at the Hamtramck plant for the '69 model year....they also built Darts at the plant that year......100038 could have been a Dart...
The VIN#'s each year start at 100001 at each plant

Since they built Chargers at both the Hamtramck, MI plant and the St. Louis, MO plant in 1969 it is possible (and I have both cars in the registry) that you can have 2 cars with the same last 6 digits of the VIN#!........One car is a 318 XP model and the other is a 440 R/T model.....built at different plants but coincendently rolled down the line with the same last 6 of the VIN#

The rad support stamping is indeed odd.... along with the "B8" which designates B for the Hamtramck plant and 8 as the model year 1968... notice the extra character of the letter "X" in there....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hemi68charger

Maybe the "X" in the stamping is for "experimental"?  who knows.
Troy

bull

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on December 29, 2006, 09:27:08 PM
Also one important note.......this car was coded G31 & G33....Left & right remote mirrors......look at all the pics posted... :scratchchin:

That's rare in itself.

69_500

In refernce to the G31 and G33 codes both being on the same cars, I have information on 4 69 charger 500's that have the G31 and G33 codes. Definately not something that is all too common.

tan top

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on December 29, 2006, 09:27:08 PM

:scratchchin:    i  was thinking  them original ads were of 100039 -  must of looked at them  many times , never noticed the mirror deal before .   they must be different  cars  then .  good spot  :scope: (Chris)     :2thumbs:

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 30, 2006, 09:58:22 AM
Maybe the "X" in the stamping is for "experimental"? who knows.
i seam to remember something about  the letter X    being found stamped  next to the order number  under the trunk rail weather strip on a 68 charger could be getting mixed up with some thing else  :confused:
Troy there is another ad witch shows a R6 -69 charger R/T  it is a close up of the front end , taken at daytona raceway. thought i had this one saved.  but can't find it . i don't think that car had headrests by memory :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69_500

Since were on the topic, what about the T5 bronze HEMI that isn't an R/T? Anyone have any answers on that one?