News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Strange question... would a 70 front bumper fit a 3rd gen?

Started by Charger1973, December 29, 2006, 07:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger1973

Just wondering.  I dont think it would, but this picture has had me curious about that for a long time. 

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

TylerCharger69

straight  across....no...but you may be able to cut the bumper down and do some modifying to make it work..I'm sure if you have excellent metal/steel working skills.....It can be done.

Nacho-RT74

main question is:

are 2nd and 3rd gens same wide ?

Mostly sure bumper itself won't fit because some or another reason, starting because 70 is straight and 3rdgens aren't so you will need to cut the center I section of 3rd gen bumper, What really is possible... however, AND THE GRILL ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

TylerCharger69

Like I said......with good fabrication skills.....anything can be accomplished.

hemihead

Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

TylerCharger69

Why?....Well....because  the question was asked if it could be done.

Charger1973

Drache

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on December 30, 2006, 12:16:26 AM
Like I said......with good fabrication skills.....anything can be accomplished.

All you need is time and/or money!  :icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Blakcharger440

Yep, you could even put a 69 grille in there given enough time and patience!  :yesnod:

Drache

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on December 30, 2006, 01:11:52 AM
Yep, you could even put a 69 grille in there given enough time and patience!  :yesnod:

Yes but a '70 front bumper might actually LOOK good...  :icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Charger1973

I think it looks good.  Its not something I would do, but it would be interesting to see.

Lowprofile

Quote from: charger1973 on December 29, 2006, 07:46:06 PM
Just wondering.  I dont think it would, but this picture has had me curious about that for a long time. 

Wow! I like that! Very cool.  :icon_smile_big:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Dodge Don

Why not have the stock bumper modified by cutting out the centre vertical section, then re-chrome it and you've got a 70 style wraparound bumper that actually fits with no modifications to sheet metal.

andy74

that drawing is pretty cool looking,but i think it would be a giant ache in the ass to get that all together,might be easier to fab up a custom bumper that looks like a 70 instead,maybe out of fiberglass?

plum500

I've always liked that sketch for the front concept.

I briefly hunted for a '71 Coronet bumper to do that with. Contours seem basically the same -- I don't think modifying the guts would be too bad to customize a hideaway setup for it.

Charger1973

I had actually thought about that once a long time ago too, but forgotten about it.  I bet that would work out pretty good actually...  I wonder if anyones ever attempted to swap those bumpers? 

472 R/T SE

That's quite a task.  Whatever modifying you do to a bumper means that much more to make a grill fit.  :confused:

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Lowprofile on December 30, 2006, 02:41:46 AM
Quote from: charger1973 on December 29, 2006, 07:46:06 PM

Wow! I like that! Very cool.  :icon_smile_big:
:iagree: Looks great! :yesnod:
If the thought of actually making the grille fit that bumper didn't seem like such an unsurmountable pain in the ass, I'd say somebody should do it! :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

mikesbbody

if im correct, the 2nd gen chargers are slighly narrower i think the best bet would be to use a third gen bumper modified, or try the 71 coronet bumper/grill as stated, anythings possible just depends how much time and $ your willing to put into it. I think it looks cool though.

Charger1973

Seems like the Coronet grille would be the easiet to make fit, even though it is kinda ugly. 

Blakcharger440

Quote from: Drache on December 30, 2006, 01:24:40 AM
Quote from: Blakcharger440 on December 30, 2006, 01:11:52 AM

Yes but a '70 front bumper might actually LOOK good...  :icon_smile_big:

LOL!  :smilielol:

RD

If I were to do this mod, I would buy a fiberglass 70 or 71 grille and do the modifications to that.  Cheaper that way.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander