News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Custom Charger

Started by Nick, December 28, 2006, 01:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Hi,

I am looking to customize a dodge charger either a 68 or 69. I am wondering if I should buy just a charger or an RT. It will be completely customized, all the way down to the chasy. I am going to probably spend quite a bit of money and eventually selll it after a couples of years, after I get as much fun out of it as possible, lol. If any of you could share some insight, please write back. Thank you very much, Nick

Charger_Fan

Don't customize an R/T, do that to a standard Charger...preferrably a rustbucket.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Nick

So,

it wont be worth any more if it was an RT

dads_69

The question is, how much money do you have to spend now on a charger, let alone what your future plans with it? Can you do all the mods yourself or is someone else going to do them for you? Buying a mopar period isn't going to be cheap if you want to start w/a nice/decent project. You can't find a rust bucket for under 10 grand hardly,let alone an R/T, unless the person selling it has no idea what its really worth. Keep in mind, you said you plan to drive it for a few years after you've done the mods to it and so forth, it won't be worth as much as you think after you've hammered on it during that time. Being realistic here, I'm guessing you've never done a car up before, cause anyone who has, wouldn't be asking such a question.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on December 28, 2006, 01:28:50 PM
Don't customize an R/T, do that to a standard Charger...preferrably a rustbucket.

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY :icon_smile_big:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

TruckDriver

Quote from: 1hot68 on December 28, 2006, 04:38:06 PM
Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on December 28, 2006, 01:28:50 PM

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY :icon_smile_big:
:iagree:

If you use a R/T to fully customize it. You will totally destroy the value of the R/T name on it. If you want it to look like a R/T, just buy after market recreation parts for it.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

bee_fishy_6869

As mentioned, it isn't wise to waste an R/T, or anything big block in my op. Try to find a small block car that is, less desireable (if that's even possible for a charger now a days).
Take it in stages. I know we all dream of building up a custom pro-touring or whatever, but its something that has to be realistic as to budget, time, etc... Try to find a car first and work from there. I'm sure you'll have to spend at least 8-10for a decent sb charger. If your going to do a custom chasis and all that stuff you'll prolly look upwards of 100grand+, especially if you're talking custom.

I don't know how old you are or how much experience you have but myself being a younger moparian I can give you some advice that I've quickly learned getting into the game...
Not sure on your budget but I can tell you from experience, it's always a lot more complicated (read costly) than you think. When I bought my coronet I thought that the body work was just minor and could be hidden with some quick sheetmetal and bondo, boy was I wrong. While I was in tech school I worked part time doing some restoration work at a body shop. Being a mechanical tech (not a collision/body guy) I had no clue what I was getting into body wise. I'm glad I got to work there and still put some hours in after my regular job since I'm always a student and there's always more to learn when doing quality work. Sure my car is still undergoing restoration but I've learned under the guide of a great body guy how to do it right and I've definitely developed a sense of pride, to me that is one of the greatest feelings knowing you did it on your own, not to mention saving thousands of dollars. Patience is the key.

You have two options. Pay an assload of money for somebody to build you a custom muscle car, or you can take it as a life lesson and try to tackle as much as you can and there will definitely be more pride behind it. Sure it'll take more time and you might run into some headaches. I'm not saying you have to build/restore the car yourself, but maybe you can tackle on some light mechanical work and do little baby steps. Convert your ignition system, upgrade your bolt on engine components, convert your brake system. Things that can be tackled after some research, elbow grease and maybe some help from a friend with experience. This of course is just my opinion. Since you mentioned you just want to drive then Flip'er, I guess you'll most likely go the quick route and dish out the cash. It'd be a shame to get rid of her though, especially if its a '68 :icon_smile_big:  Who knows, you might just fall in love with it and hopefully wont let her go. Good luck...

kab69440

Quote from: Nick on December 28, 2006, 01:26:15 PM
Hi,

I am looking to customize a dodge charger either a 68 or 69. I am wondering if I should buy just a charger or an RT. It will be completely customized, all the way down to the chasy. I am going to probably spend quite a bit of money and eventually selll it after a couples of years, after I get as much fun out of it as possible, lol. If any of you could share some insight, please write back. Thank you very much, Nick

If you have the cash, I would love to help Dukes-ize a low mileage survivor Hemi 4-gear Daytona. Let me know, man...
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Rolling_Thunder

I would agree - use a base model charger....       look at my car...      318/904 with 2.76 gears....         now it has a 440/5-speed with 4.10 sure grip....       I hacked the car a bit for the 5-speed but so what?  its not some rare expensive # matching R/T car....         next month I am starting the whole swap over to a BIG cam and EFI along with new suspension and such....   

dont use an R/T
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Hemidoug

Find a wrecked Dukes of Hazzard car. Most of them were already customized when they were done with them...... :laugh:
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

Brock Samson

welcome and good luck with that,.. this is the right place...

Magnumcharger

Would you consider buying/customizing a used '06 Charger instead?
It might be a bit more socially acceptable.
And the price would be the same.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Magnumcharger on December 29, 2006, 01:01:49 PM
Would you consider buying/customizing a used '06 Charger instead?
It might be a bit more socially acceptable.
And the price would be the same.
Good idea, here's one! ;D
Just shuffle the bling around until it suits your personal taste. :icon_smile_tongue:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

konigcharger

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.