News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

car died on highway- fuel problems

Started by CB, September 07, 2005, 08:08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB

I went for a cruis a few days ago and ended up sitting and waiting to be towed away :-[
It ran good but then it just died. I checked the fuel lines and they are dry (with gas in the tank).
I pulled the gas pump but the I realised it could be the sending unit.
How can you determine if it is the pump or the unit?
Also I tried to reinstall the pump but now the bolts seem not to fit :flame:
Dang, just days before one of the biggest Mopar meeting in my country :brickwall:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

ramit

I might be talikng out of my butt here but I thought the sending unit just sends the reading to the gas gauge. 

CB

yep, so it makes sense 'cos my meter doesn't work.

Fuel problem will be the pump probably...
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

RD

I would remove your fuel line leading into your fuel pump, make sure your gas cap is on, then pressurize your tank a tad with your compressor.  If fuel comes out properly then you just removed the obstacle blocking your fuel from going through the lines.  If this is the case, you may need to drop your tank and clean it out.

Second scenario.  remove your fuel pump and push down on the lever while holding a finger over each fuel line on the fuel pump to check if you have proper suction on the intake side.  If you do not, the seals in your fuel pump are shot, hence buy a new one.

I really think it may be the first scenario though.  You do have metal fuel lines from your tank all the way to your fuel pump (minus the small rubber hoses to attach the metal lines together) right?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

CB

So you say
A) the fuel line is blocked = clear the lines
or
B) the gas pump seals are shot = need to replace with new pump, right?

You do have metal fuel lines from your tank all the way to your fuel pump (minus the small rubber hoses to attach the metal lines together) right?   yep, you're right!

Nothing to do with the fuel sending unit?

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

MoparYoungGun

Quote from: RD on September 07, 2005, 11:10:25 AM
I would remove your fuel line leading into your fuel pump, make sure your gas cap is on, then pressurize your tank a tad with your compressor.   If fuel comes out properly then you just removed the obstacle blocking your fuel from going through the lines.   If this is the case, you may need to drop your tank and clean it out.

Second scenario.   remove your fuel pump and push down on the lever while holding a finger over each fuel line on the fuel pump to check if you have proper suction on the intake side.   If you do not, the seals in your fuel pump are shot, hence buy a new one.

I really think it may be the first scenario though.   You do have metal fuel lines from your tank all the way to your fuel pump (minus the small rubber hoses to attach the metal lines together) right?
:iagree:

cudaken

CB, did you get the fuel pump back on? Turn the engine a little and stick some axel grease on the drive rod. That will hold the rod up, driven by the cam.

Run a fuel line to a gas can and crank it over. If no fuel there could be a couple or reason.

1 Fuel pump bad, I know there not cheap there but try a new one or one you know's works.

2 Fuel pump is ran of the cam in a Big Block. I had this happen to me on my 70 383 Cuda. Either the lope on the cam wore flat or the drive wore out. In my case it was the drive rod, something most people over look and do not replaces, I didnt on the Ciuda I will add. Cam was new.

Pull the right vale cover and carnk her over, it's ran by the front exhaust lope and watch the lifter and rocker. If the they do not move as much as the other's is it the cam. This is a easy eye ball test and not the best way, but I thing you are looking for a quicky check.

If the cam lope and rocker move the same as the other's then more than likely it the drive rod or the fuel line. My guess is the the rod.

Won't go into other problem I have had, but had rust from my old gas thank in the 68 Runner stick in a float and caused it to die as well. After the tow to the shop she fired up? Then it happen again, replaced the gas tank and has not died from that again. Gas tank was leaking was the reason I replaced the tank.

Hope I have not made your head hurt.

Cuda Ken
I am back

RD

Quote from: cudaken on September 07, 2005, 10:13:33 PM
CB, did you get the fuel pump back on? Turn the engine a little and stick some axel grease on the drive rod. That will hold the rod up, driven by the cam.

Run a fuel line to a gas can and crank it over. If no fuel there could be a couple or reason.

1 Fuel pump bad, I know there not cheap there but try a new one or one you know's works.

2 Fuel pump is ran of the cam in a Big Block. I had this happen to me on my 70 383 Cuda. Either the lope on the cam wore flat or the drive wore out. In my case it was the drive rod, something most people over look and do not replaces, I didnt on the Ciuda I will add. Cam was new.

Pull the right vale cover and carnk her over, it's ran by the front exhaust lope and watch the lifter and rocker. If the they do not move as much as the other's is it the cam. This is a easy eye ball test and not the best way, but I thing you are looking for a quicky check.

If the cam lope and rocker move the same as the other's then more than likely it the drive rod or the fuel line. My guess is the the rod.

Won't go into other problem I have had, but had rust from my old gas thank in the 68 Runner stick in a float and caused it to die as well. After the tow to the shop she fired up? Then it happen again, replaced the gas tank and has not died from that again. Gas tank was leaking was the reason I replaced the tank.

Hope I have not made your head hurt.

Cuda Ken

i agree with ken on this one, it could be your fuel pump rod or lobe on your cam that moves the fuel pump rod that has worn down thus causing your fuel pump not to function at all or properly.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Ghoste

I've seen that sock on the end of the fuel tank sending unit get clogged up with crap and do this too.

CB

can I remove the fuel sending unit without dropping the gas tank?
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

gsmopar

Quote from: CB on September 09, 2005, 04:08:41 PM
can I remove the fuel sending unit without dropping the gas tank?

Nope, but dont' be scared of dropping the tank.  It's not a big deal.  Do you have a reason to suspect a blocked fuel line?  For example:  Someone put rocks in your tank, car sat for an extended period of time, etc...  If not, it's probably just a pump.  The rebuilt stuff you get from the local parts stores isn't the best either.  If you're not a resto type guy and you have a little cash I'd suggest doing a little upgrade to the system (pump and regulator).