News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is 500.00 too much for a nice running/driving 318 engine/trans

Started by ACUDANUT, December 26, 2006, 05:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Daytona R/T SE

The last spare 318 I had I gave to a freind of mine. He's still pissed at me :cussing:

BLACKWOLF

LINNY SMITH 73' CHARGER OWNER HPAC MEMBER NATIONAL STREET MACHINE CLUB LIFE MEMBER
I'M ON FACEBOOK

THE CHARGER PUNK

hell yes $500 is 2 much make it $200 and u might get some interest :icon_smile_big:

Doright

I would stick to my guns if it does run really good and compressions out good

Try to build a fresh one for that much!
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

RD

I can buy running 318's with 904's for 200 dollars, 150 for the engine and 50 for the trans.  now if you had it mated to a SB 727, you could ask a little more, BUT..... 500 is too much considering you can buy a running 440 for that much.   :Twocents:
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

is_it_EVER_done?

I finally had to take my 83,000 mile, PERFECT running, one owner, garage kept, dealer maintained, all oil change/service records, 318 - 904 -drive shaft - and 8 1/4 rear end to the junk yard because I couldn't give them away! It was frustrating because I'm sure that someone could have used them, but reality dictates that no one is using a car that these would fit into as a driver anymore, so I guess it makes sense.

I even took the car that they were in to several local Mopar gatherings/shows (while they were still running and driving in the car), with a sign that they were available for free, and I would even deliver them! I got lots of "keep everything as it is numbers matching", but no one that wanted them. After I removed them, I let them sit in may garage for a few months because they were perfect parts. Eventually I gave up on finding someone that could use them, and hauled everything to the junk yard.

To answer your question, Yes 500.00$ is to much by about 500%. At least that is my experience.

bull

While we're on this topic I'd like to hijack it a bit and ask the same question but rebuilt to stock specs a non-HP 383 for $900. It sounds good to me but the seller knows little about what went into the engine, only that it was rebuilt by a shop in his area. I was quoted $2,600+ to rebuild mine by a reputable shop with it being balanced and warrantied so $900 is probably ok.

RD

Quote from: bull on December 26, 2006, 08:20:52 PM
While we're on this topic I'd like to hijack it a bit and ask the same question but rebuilt to stock specs a non-HP 383 for $900. It sounds good to me but the seller knows little about what went into the engine, only that it was rebuilt by a shop in his area. I was quoted $2,600+ to rebuild mine by a reputable shop with it being balanced and warrantied so $900 is probably ok.

how much proof do you have that it was rebuilt? any receipts? do you know the shop?  I just rebuilt my 440 and the total was $1,900 with me assembling the engine.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

twilt

I`ve sold a couple good running 318/904 combos in the past. I guess I was fortunate, as i usually got $275

Charger-Bodie

i sold the 318 and 904 from my charger for a 100.00 bill and i was ticled to get anything for it
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

TylerCharger69

Yeah...too much.....will make a fine boat anchor or a conversation piece though

THE CHARGER PUNK

ACUDANUT

Hmmm I guess I will use it as a spare since I have another 318 car.  It costs me about 2,500 to rebuid just about size Chrysler engine in my neck of the woods.  Hell it costs 500.00 just to get a set of heads up to par. 
But thanks for the imput.

bull

Quote from: RD on December 26, 2006, 10:55:20 PM
Quote from: bull on December 26, 2006, 08:20:52 PM

how much proof do you have that it was rebuilt? any receipts? do you know the shop?  I just rebuilt my 440 and the total was $1,900 with me assembling the engine.

Exactly. The guy says he bought the engine a year and a half ago and has since forgotten the mechanic's name. I'm not that forgetful, and I'm pretty forgetful. And even if I could verify that it was rebuilt how would I know the quality of the workmanship? Too much of a gamble IMO. If it sounds too good to be true...

ACUDANUT

Hey, this engine is still in the car and you can hear it and see it drive !!

d72hemi

I bought my running 440 (drove the car then helped pulled it) for $300, and BB 727 for $100 (drove that car too). Then I put internet adds out to get rid of the 2 running 318s and 904 (one set still in the car and running) for $50 then a few months latter for free, I have yet to hear from anyone. But in UT I can't hardy through a rock without hitting a 318. Good luck with yours, I wish I could get mine out of the garage, it is in my way.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: RD on December 26, 2006, 07:33:34 PM
I can buy running 318's with 904's for 200 dollars, 150 for the engine and 50 for the trans.  now if you had it mated to a SB 727, you could ask a little more, BUT..... 500 is too much considering you can buy a running 440 for that much.   :Twocents:

Where do you find a running 440 for 500$?

Todd

Old Moparz

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 26, 2006, 05:41:36 PM
  What do you think??? No one wants mine ???

I think the toughest part of selling anything that's rebuilt, is that most people are too skeptical of what has been done to the parts being sold. Without knowing the seller, it's basically what's "claimed to have been done" to it. The $500 asking price for something that's had $2500 worth of work may very well be a bargain, but with too many people ripping others off, nobody wants to take a chance. I've seen a lot of motors that have been degreased & given a quick rattle can rebuild over the years. One time I saw a guy at a swap meet spraying right over the dirt with the paint on a pair of heads. A little later I saw a cardboard sign that said rebuilt heads with a price.   ::)

Seems like whatever the going price at a local junkyard is for the running drive train, that might be what you can get for the 318 & trans, ($150 to $250?) Keep in mind it also comes down to being in the right place at the right time. I sold 2 slant 6 engines that were complete with all the accessories, & a trans for $200 once. I'm in NY & the buyer was in SC. He was the only one interested, but his brother lived near me & was going to see him, so he picked them up before he made the trip. If not for that, I probably would have scrapped them. Shipping for something like this is more than they sell for, so if you can store it & can be patient, the right local person may come along & pay the price you want.  :shruggy:

Quote from: bull on December 27, 2006, 03:32:42 PM

Exactly. The guy says he bought the engine a year and a half ago and has since forgotten the mechanic's name. I'm not that forgetful, and I'm pretty forgetful. And even if I could verify that it was rebuilt how would I know the quality of the workmanship? Too much of a gamble IMO. If it sounds too good to be true...

Bull, that's the equivalent to all the internet dealers selling classic cars that say "I was told by the owner it has all new parts" so they can avoid taking any blame later when it blows up. No matter what, I'd rebuild the 383 you already have so you get what you want & know exactly what's in it.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 28, 2006, 10:43:27 AM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 26, 2006, 05:41:36 PM
  What do you think??? No one wants mine ???

I think the toughest part of selling anything that's rebuilt, is that most people are too skeptical of what has been done to the parts being sold. Without knowing the seller, it's basically what's "claimed to have been done" to it. The $500 asking price for something that's had $2500 worth of work may very well be a bargain, but with too many people ripping others off, nobody wants to take a chance. I've seen a lot of motors that have been degreased & given a quick rattle can rebuild over the years. One time I saw a guy at a swap meet spraying right over the dirt with the paint on a pair of heads. A little later I saw a cardboard sign that said rebuilt heads with a price.   ::)

Seems like whatever the going price at a local junkyard is for the running drive train, that might be what you can get for the 318 & trans, ($150 to $250?) Keep in mind it also comes down to being in the right place at the right time. I sold 2 slant 6 engines that were complete with all the accessories, & a trans for $200 once. I'm in NY & the buyer was in SC. He was the only one interested, but his brother lived near me & was going to see him, so he picked them up before he made the trip. If not for that, I probably would have scrapped them. Shipping for something like this is more than they sell for, so if you can store it & can be patient, the right local person may come along & pay the price you want.  :shruggy:

I couldnt agree with you more here.  I am glad to see your /6 engines found a home. So many times there are many in need of something and cant really get to it. I wonder how much stuff is scrapped because someone cant get it sold.

Todd

ACUDANUT

I am raising the B.S flag.  Where can you find a nice running 383 with 727 for 500.00 or a 440 for that matter.   Alot of folks try to sell motors that are laying around in thier Garage and claim the run.  MINE is still in the Car and I can prove it runs/drives.

Doright

I need a good running 318 for my truck right now but it has a to be four a manual tranny and I dont want to pay for shipping.

But before I look for any more 318's im looking for 360's instead
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more