News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How many chargers used in Dirty Mary Crazy Larry?

Started by THE CHARGER PUNK, December 27, 2006, 04:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE CHARGER PUNK

i know there was at least 1 69 R/T, 1 base 69 and the one 68 .

heres are some observations ive made and questions i wonder if there were more then 3 but more like 5?

-the base 69 is racing towards the truck but then the 68 smashes into the truck, but when u see it spin around its the R/T, but then it switches back to the 68 as u can see its wheel roll side 2 side(i know the base 69 wasnt used to side swipe the truck as it rolls into the train at the end as the base 69 had no sail panel ''charger'' emblems)

-when you first see the charger its the base model one and u can see it has a bent hood in the front passenger side, but when u see it later its hood is fine, so was there 2 69 base cars?

-u see that the R/T car has a normal sized antenna and the little cb antena of the rear passenger side window, but later on in a few scenes whe nit runs over the mail boxes it has a frickin HUGE cb antenna(whipping back n forth) in place of the stock radio antenna and it still has the little cb antenna on the rear window.(so were the 2 R/T cars?
Normal antenna R/T

Ghoste

I think it was just the three.  Remember films aren't made in the order they are shown.  Things are done depending on actors schedules, permissions to use locations, lighting, and don't forget reshoots after the fact if the director desires it.  The damage on the cars isn't a real accurate way to count how many were used.  Even the sideswipe scene would have been filmed in a series of takes.

tan top

like ( ghoste )  says  most probably  3 ,  but  after  watching DMCL may be a hundred times or more over the years , i thought i identified a 4th car ,  as i mentioned in the other DMCL thread ,  but i think unless there is more proof from  other sources , it might be a case of me  seeing it frame by frame too many times & brain washed my self  :image_294343:  and imagined seeing a fourth charger  ::)      ;D
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

I don't know.  Maybe while I am off this week I'll do the frame by frame thing again one night.  I'm like you tan top, I've watched it so many times I memorized the damned script years ago.  Hell, I even recorded the sound track onto a cassestte for my listening enjoyment  in the Charger during the odd Sunday afternoon aimless cruise.
A buddy and I did the frame by frame one night trying to look for the slightest difference in the Chargers and I think we only came up with three cars but like you say, it could be because that's what we wanted it to be.

Bob

6pkrunner

This from a movie site

Three Chargers were used in the film; Two 1969 Dodge Chargers (one "R/T" and one coupe), and one 1968 Dodge Charger (coupe). Two of the Chargers were intentionally damaged in the front (after a scene where the Charger collided with the truck), and there is a notable difference in the damage from car to car

Six 1972 Dodge Polara 440 V-8 police cars were purchased from the California Highway Patrol for use in the film. All were destroyed during various jumps, rollovers, and crashes.
[/b]

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

6pkrunner

Of all the places I looked for more info (I thought that there were 4 used for the film) I got that snag from IMDB

IMDB DMCL

However, I claim no pretense as to its correctness. But it was the only info I found. You search Bullitt and you get biographies written by the wrenches, crew chiefs,cameramen, dealers, almost everyone walking the streets of San Francisco during those days, but DMCL is kinda hard to find.

THE CHARGER PUNK

yes 2 chargers smashed for the truck,the base 69 is racing towards the truck but the 68 actually hits the truck and when it spins from hitting it, its a different car(the R/T),then it shows inside the car and pans back out 2 see thats its the 68(with 69 tail panel) drive into the tree's u can see that it has noticeable damage to the right front tire as it wobbles back and forth(u can see it has side markers and 68 tail trim under the 69 lights which the 69 never had any), after that u never see the 68 again and the R/T is used the rest of the film until it goes to smack the train in which when it hits u see its the base car with no sail panel emblem and no front end damage from the truck), ok i watched DMCL again and you right it being the same 69 base with bent hood,but why do they have the R/T in 2 shots having that HUGE cb antenna??? why go 2 all that work? and lastly when you first see the charger in dutton flats its the base 69, but when it takes off 2 rip the cops door off its the R/T again why go 2 all that work to switch cars? they both had 383's(as stated the R/T never had a 440 in it) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071424/board/thread/32421791?d=39580810#39580810 -MATT

THE CHARGER PUNK

Ghoste

There could be any number of reasons to use two cars for the same scene.  Most likely, the director wasn't satisfied with one of the takes and spliced a couple together during editing.  No one would anticipate Charger freaks trying to pick the cars apart 30 years later.  I'm sure to the person in the cutting room, it was just an old green car.

Mean 318

OK,  car was killed what happened to the other two?

THE CHARGER PUNK

soo true ;D,

so from what i observe to build a replica this is what it would need

1969 Dodge Charger Base or R/T

-440 Magnum
-console shift automatic
-stock black steering wheel
-no headrest on seats(but headrest bases)
-seat belts connected to headliner
-A/C
-Y-3 Citron Yella
-3 inch black stripe(descending from back of car above rear bumper end to a point on the fender, with 3' Letters in back of stripe declaring the  engine c.i. ''440'')
-Vinyl top trim
-optional ''charger'' sail panel emblems
-Cb antenna connected to rear passenger side glass
-15 inch ansen slots

heres the correct color

Ghoste

Resurrecting this one in the hopes that model maker will chime in and give us the full story.

pettyfan43

You talking about this one???

pettyfan43

If you're looking for this one just PM Me and I'll give you the lowdown on how I built her.

I am trying to get another Pretty Famous Charger you all know from TV finished up pretty soon!

Ghoste

Actually I meant "model maker" the new username that has the low down on the movie but I like what you did too.  I wish they'd do a diecast of the car.

pettyfan43

Yeah I'd like to hear some info if he does chime in.

Thanks

Chris

model maker

I'm here :cheers: I remember the location information i found in the trunk with the blue denim levi shirt and checked the narration on the DVD which confirms that the movie was shot in sequence with only 1 unit which is more time consuming AND EXPENSIVE to film that way. When I was on the streets of S.F. we had 3 units with 1 extra that would travel for out of the area locations. My charger is the one that went to Bills bar in Linden, Ca. and is parked back there. ( I took this very car to Bills with my best friend and chargerkiller) in 1977. The pool table was in the main bar area when we went and they were having a banquet in the room where the pool table sits normally. My car had the R/T on the headlight door and Ghosti, the car in your avatar is the other charger, that makes 2 69's, now, the charger at the flea market is yet a third 69 and you can tell by the front right hood gaps and valence under the bumper. It is possible that the 68 grille was used for a repair as they did a lot of repairs on the cars to keep them running, ( this info. came from the DVD narration) They had at least 3 chargers and ibelieve it is more like 5 according to the property masters paperwork that was left in the trunk along with the other stuff i found in the car. they mention cars 6 and 7 and another page that mentions cars 9 and 11 and something about matching  visual parts. It doesn't mention which cars those were I still have the R/T emblem  that was on the rear taillight panel and 1 charger nameplate that came from the passenger side roof. I have them buried somewhere in my garage because i saw them about 6 years ago when i moved to Nevada. I should have kept the levi shirt because the grease stains on the left arm/shoulder match the grease stains I just saw on peter fondas levi shirt  that disappears after the scene fixing the chevy when he runs after mary to help them with the car. I just saw that on my DVD and never noticed that before. Check your DVD's and you will see what I mean, If I would have known i would still have it. This entire time I fiqured it was a shirt that a mechanic for the film crew wore. and washed it and wore it since it was still new and fit. I had and wore Larrys blue shirt, the things that DVD's give us.
MODEL MAKER

tan top

Quote from: model maker on January 06, 2009, 04:49:35 AM
I'm here :cheers: I remember the location information i found in the trunk with the blue denim levi shirt and checked the narration on the DVD which confirms that the movie was shot in sequence with only 1 unit which is more time consuming AND EXPENSIVE to film that way. When I was on the streets of S.F. we had 3 units with 1 extra that would travel for out of the area locations. My charger is the one that went to Bills bar in Linden, Ca. and is parked back there. ( I took this very car to Bills with my best friend and chargerkiller) in 1977. The pool table was in the main bar area when we went and they were having a banquet in the room where the pool table sits normally. My car had the R/T on the headlight door and Ghosti, the car in your avatar is the other charger, that makes 2 69's, now, the charger at the flea market is yet a third 69 and you can tell by the front right hood gaps and valence under the bumper. It is possible that the 68 grille was used for a repair as they did a lot of repairs on the cars to keep them running, ( this info. came from the DVD narration) They had at least 3 chargers and ibelieve it is more like 5 according to the property masters paperwork that was left in the trunk along with the other stuff i found in the car. they mention cars 6 and 7 and another page that mentions cars 9 and 11 and something about matching  visual parts. It doesn't mention which cars those were I still have the R/T emblem  that was on the rear taillight panel and 1 charger nameplate that came from the passenger side roof. I have them buried somewhere in my garage because i saw them about 6 years ago when i moved to Nevada. I should have kept the levi shirt because the grease stains on the left arm/shoulder match the grease stains I just saw on peter fondas levi shirt  that disappears after the scene fixing the chevy when he runs after mary to help them with the car. I just saw that on my DVD and never noticed that before. Check your DVD's and you will see what I mean, If I would have known i would still have it. This entire time I fiqured it was a shirt that a mechanic for the film crew wore. and washed it and wore it since it was still new and fit. I had and wore Larrys blue shirt, the things that DVD's give us.

:yesnod:  more good stuff ..thanks for sharing  :2thumbs:  going to watch it tonight to have a look at what you mentioned about the 3rd 69  :yesnod: ............. :popcrn: 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi-hampton

Interesting, I wonder what that shirt would get nowadays on a ebay Auction if you still had it (uncleaned)? LEON. :scratchchin: :shruggy:

model maker

I don't know but it would be  interesting to find out. I have a couple of pictures packed away somewhere  with me wearing it in the 70's I still have a few clothes from the 70's packed away with my high school stuff.  Come to think of it, I don't remember ever throwing it away, Now i have just got to go through my stuff to see what I still have and don't have. I am happy I found this site because it has started making me think of things that I haven't thought about for a very long time. My wife and I were out running errands and grocery shopping today and I stayed in the truck and listened to dirty/Crazy  on my trucks CD player.  A guy walked up to his car next to me to load his groceries and said that he hadn't seen that movie for over 25 years and asked where I got it. I told him the DVD is available or at least it was 2 years ago when I bought mine. I transferred the audio part of the entire movie onto CD  along with the audio commentary that has peter fonda, susan george and the director all talking about where, how and who did what during the filming.  I like the idea that I can listen to the entire movie IN STEREO  on my trucks CD player. I did the same thing with Vanishing Point. Now all I need is  a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T to call my own. Someday i hope to be able to do just that.
MODEL MAKER

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on December 27, 2006, 04:06:06 AM
i know there was at least 1 69 R/T, 1 base 69 and the one 68 .

heres are some observations ive made and questions i wonder if there were more then 3 but more like 5?

-the base 69 is racing towards the truck but then the 68 smashes into the truck, but when u see it spin around its the R/T, but then it switches back to the 68 as u can see its wheel roll side 2 side(i know the base 69 wasnt used to side swipe the truck as it rolls into the train at the end as the base 69 had no sail panel ''charger'' emblems)

-when you first see the charger its the base model one and u can see it has a bent hood in the front passenger side, but when u see it later its hood is fine, so was there 2 69 base cars?

-u see that the R/T car has a normal sized antenna and the little cb antena of the rear passenger side window, but later on in a few scenes whe nit runs over the mail boxes it has a frickin HUGE cb antenna(whipping back n forth) in place of the stock radio antenna and it still has the little cb antenna on the rear window.(so were the 2 R/T cars?
Normal antenna R/T

Well,more than 3 but more like 5.You are close,6 were said to be used,as well as the chevy,6 also .