News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hood pins: your opinion?

Started by CB, August 31, 2005, 05:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB

I just painted my hood flat black and thethough of adding the pins came up.
Love the look of hood pins (with the cable) on a muscle car.
Do you like them? Does any one have them on a 2nd gen Charger ( if so, please post pic ;) )
Or are you against it and why?
Is there a wrong thing to do?
Oh yes, where can you find the propper ones?
Thanks

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

694spdRT

Here is a General with pins.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

8WHEELER

I put them on my car back in 1980 with the cable's and all, I liked the looks and the hood no
longer moved around at high speeds and racing.

But remember if your going back to stock ever again it can bite you in the A$$, I was putting
my car back to stock 5yrs ago and the body shop welded the big holes in and after driving it a few
times the paint started to bubble in those areas. They braised it painted it again same problems, then
they wanted a hood that had no surface rust on the bottom side and no hood pin holes, well I did
that and the hood has stayed fine for 5yrs now.

Some body shops don't know how to weld areas the see a lot of heat.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

andy74

my car had them when i bought it-never really trusted em though,so when it was body work time we filled them in.been over a year and 4000 miles,no problems.i guess i like the look on some cars,just didnt want them on mine-andy

dd44068

me personally  i dont like them one bad move and there goes the paint

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

cudaken

CB, I would not add them my self. They are a big pain to remove. I did in stall them on mine, but I lost the factory latch! :icon_smile_dissapprove:

My hood is flat black as well, but that was due to the fire. I had 30 hour's in my hood and did not want to spend that much time on it again.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Brock Samson

i don't care for them myself, as I like the clean lines and scoops and pins clutter the beauty...

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

PocketThunder

I love them on Road Runners but Chargers....well..... i guess i'm on the fence....
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Nacho-RT74

I don't like or see them useable for street use either.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

ChargerRob

Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

Johnny SixPack

I like 'em. :2thumbs:

I'm biased though.   ;D

Johnny
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

derailed

Chargerguy74

WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

Charged

Hood pins are used on "Muscle" cars. A 69 Charger isent a "Muscle" car.

Charged

CB

Quote from: Charged on September 01, 2005, 12:54:35 AM
Hood pins are used on "Muscle" cars. A 69 Charger isent a "Muscle" car.

Charged

???
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Charged

Sarcastic joking my friend.  ;)

My personal opinion:
They look good on certain cars. But 2nds are to square, flat, and use alot of straight lines. Pins break that flow and fuck it all up. Not drastically, but maybe in more of a subtle way. A way in which you really cant tell. But when you see another without the pins, most tend to like it better. Either way, a 69 is a beatiful car and a set of pins aint gonna make or break it.

3rds and e-bodies, etc. they have more rounded shapes...goes well with the round hood pin and the rounding shape the wire creates. Accent your car (and life in general) according to what "flows" with it.

Charged

doctorpimp

I like them on any Mopar Musclecar!
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

Khyron

I like them, however. I'm going to cut a different hood then my original ;)

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

41husk

I want to put them on my challenger.  were do they go?  I would hate to drill holes in my hood only to find they were supposed to be mounted 3" bac or foreward :'(  Same with my go wing for the deck.  Does anyone know were I can find that info?  Sorry in advance for the semi high jack :icon_smile_big:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

NYCMille

I would think the cables would scratch the paint no?

CB

Quote from: NYCMille on September 01, 2005, 08:20:20 AM
I would think the cables would scratch the paint no?

I think the cables come covered with a plastic tube :)
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

694spdRT

Here is a case where I wish it would not have been done.

25,000 mile original unrestored survivor with hood pins added.

1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

MoparUSAF

How do you keep the cables from scratching the paint?

4forty

I like 'em on mine but I wouldn't go drilling holes in an original R/T Charger. They have a clear plastic sleeve around them to protect paint.

MoparYoungGun

I like them on ceartain Mopars such as E Bodies, and Road Runners but I wouldn't put them on a Charger. That's just my :Twocents: .

CB

(currently on E-Gay)

Mmmm, I don't like them on that 68.... :P
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

ChargerSG

On a E-body with a Sixpack hood ok, but on a Charger they just destroy the look in my opion...
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Jon Smith

I wouldn't drill my hood but i'd use them if I had a glass hood

Old Moparz

If I had a clean, rust free, stock hood, I'd leave them off. If I had a hood that needed a lot of work, or a fiberglass one, I might add them. I like the pins in general, but on some cars & with certain color combos they don't look as nice. I like them on the orange '70 that was posted, but not the black '68.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Brock Samson

that black '68 up there,  looks like a pretty girl with braces...  ::)

Plumcrazy

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

SuBLimE 69

Ya I'll agree they look good on some cars.  I had a first gen Mustang hood come up on me running about 70mph.  I got lucky and only suffered a cracked windsheild, bent windsheild trim, and the bent hings.  I say pin it. 

This ticket is only $69.00 ?  If I'd have known that I'd have been going FASTER !

Highbanked Hauler

Hey Mass. Young Gun,do you still have the pix of the front of my 500 at Jen's last year?If you do post it .That is where I stand on the idea of hood pins!!
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Brock Samson

Charged

Look at how goddamn clutered up this looks. It draws to much attention at tears the eye away from the NATURAL beauty of the car. Now on e-bodies...I heard somebody hear say it years ago, but those pieces of shit are fuckin ugly! You pull the stikers and shit off of them, and it makes you wanna puke. All they have are body lines "I-fuckin-dentical" to a 69 Camaro. Only Difference is, is Mopar applied so much goddamn make-up to them that they turned out looking kinda sexy...like a Sunset Boulavard Hooker.

CHARGERS DONT NEED MAKE-UP!

41husk

charged, do you kiss your mom with that mouth ???
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

mopar_madman

I like the look of them on certain cars, they look great on 3rd gens, I have them but when I bought my hood the holes where already there. Personaly if the hood doesn't have them already and your on the fence about it, I wouldn't drill up the hood.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

Old Moparz

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: SuBLimE 69 on September 01, 2005, 08:13:28 PM
Ya I'll agree they look good on some cars.   I had a first gen Mustang hood come up on me running about 70mph.   I got lucky and only suffered a cracked windsheild, bent windsheild trim, and the bent hings.   I say pin it.  

My officemate took his freshly painted/restored 67 Mudstain to the local firehouse show on Saturday night.   He won 1st place.   :icon_smile_cool:
On the way home his hood flew up,  bent his fenders and hood all up.    He's hoping his insurance will cover it.   :violin:

Meanwhile,  I got a 1 of 1 fiberglass 6 pack hood and I don't run any pins even though I have them in a  box in the garage somewhere.    Never could figure out where exactly to put them.    I was recommended to put them on.   3K plus miles so far... no problem.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

KMPX2

Aslong as they are put in the right spot & are the right type I say go for it.

Just 6T9 CHGR

The correct spot on a 2nd gen is really far up on the hood.   Too far up IMHO.     They look out of place.  
if the car was coded for them (J45)   then go for it and put them back.   if not I'd say leave 'em off

So far I only have one 69 R/T coded for hood pins.   Here are a few pics of it.     It is also coded for the V21 Hood Performance Treatment.   It is also a late build date and a true V2 Hemi Orange 69
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charged

Quote from: 41husk on September 02, 2005, 07:15:44 AM

Although I do live in KY, I must admit that I am one of the few here that do not kiss thier own mother. Besides, whats wrong with my language? This is 2005, not 1805. Welcome to modern America.

Charged

Lowprofile

Quote from: Charged on September 02, 2005, 10:23:55 PM

Although I do live in KY, I must admit that I am one of the few here that do not kiss thier own mother. Besides, whats wrong with my language? This is 2005, not 1805. Welcome to modern America.

Charged

I'm just wondering.........any tongue involved???? :D :D :D :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

BTW....I like The Pins. My R/T Has them
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Charged on September 02, 2005, 10:23:55 PM

Charged

This might be modern America, but you are posting on DodgeCharger.com and profanity isnt "modern" here.   Please refrain from typing it.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: 6T9_CHARGER_RT on September 02, 2005, 08:42:46 PM
The correct spot on a 2nd gen is really far up on the hood.   Too far up IMHO.     They look out of place.  
if the car was coded for them (J45)   then go for it and put them back.   if not I'd say leave 'em off

So far I only have one 69 R/T coded for hood pins.   Here are a few pics of it.     It is also coded for the V21 Hood Performance Treatment.   It is also a late build date and a true V2 Hemi Orange 69

Thanks for posting those pics Chris.     I hadn't actually researched it enough to know that factory pins were available on '69's.   I don't suppose you have any pics of under the hood or have contact info for the owner in case he does.
I was discussing hood pins last night at Highland with Rick E and where to put them, etc.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

chrisII

i believe that most old mopars have a hole located on the core support , intended to bolt pins into. when installing them in my race cars i always mounted the pin where i wanted it, then closed the hood hard letting the pins leave a dimple in the hood where i neaded to drill. it could be bad if you try to just mesure for the location...least with me runnin the tape lol

I also would think twice about drilling a "valuable" hood. I am on the fence on the chargers also. on a road runner or super bee its a yes. alot of A bodies look good with them also, especialy if it has a scoop. i have a 3rd gen charger and on them the core support is so far back it wouldnt look right in my opinion.

SE72

@[smiley: Hazzard Smileys: [12/12_7_25]]

ChargerSG

Just bought a Sixpack hood for my Challenger(fiberglass with allready holes in them) soo now i will have to swallow my pride and put som on :-\ But if i cant live with it, then it goes and the Rt hood get on it(but it do need work) i have to fit the Sixpack under there :icon_smile_big:
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

LeeBoy

Third gens yes, second gens no. That is just my opinion, but if you like em go for it, but later if you decide that you don't like them it is a pain to repair, not to mention how hard a good hood is to come by.
My 68 Charger build http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41318.0.html
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2005 HEMI Ram( totaled with only 27,000 miles on it!), 1977 Power Wagon (Sold), 1977 Plymouth Trailduster, 1974 360 Cuda, 1973 Satellite Sebring Plus, 1973 D200 Adventurer Sport, 1968 Charger (sold), 1965 Dart (sold)

ron73440

I like 'em and when I replace my bent stock hood with a 'glass one, I'm puttin' them in
I LIKE BEER!!!
USMC

Blusmbl

I'm putting hood pins on mine, mostly because I had issues with my hood hinges breaking in the past, and it somewhat screwed up the edge of my otherwise intact and non-rusty original hood.  Now I have a fiberglass hood for mine, and I'm going to do it lift-off style.

However, I'm debating on where to put the pins.  The last owner of my hood put them too far inboard, IMHO.  Probably going to run them back out to the edges of the hood.  Gotta find a spot for them though.  Any suggestions?  I've already bought the 6 pack brackets for the rear.

Also... it's not glass'd on yet, but I am putting that '68 Hemi Dart scoop on there.
Caintmakit Racing: Craptastic!
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram
-looking for another '68-'69 Charger

DarkAngel0816

My car already had them when I bought it and I can see the wires have made a couple scratches in the paint already.  Give me a moment to scan up a picture and I will post it here...
I love my 1970 Dodge Charger R/T Clone

DarkAngel0816

Would not let me modify my previous post so here is the pic...

I love my 1970 Dodge Charger R/T Clone

Spike

I like 'em!

CB

strange, I seem to like them on a 70 Charger but not on a 68-69 ... :-\
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Khyron

Quote from: CB on September 06, 2005, 04:35:04 AM

Hypocrite!  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: CB on September 06, 2005, 04:35:04 AM

Yeah, I agree with yah. :cheers:

I like 'em in general, but definitely more on a "70 than either of the other 2nd gens.

Johnny
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Blusmbl

Relocated mine to where I think they should be.  Opinions?

Caintmakit Racing: Craptastic!
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram
-looking for another '68-'69 Charger

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

PocketThunder

put them on but dont use the cables.  just the pins maybe??
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Brock Samson

the ones i liked were the twist style Ford put them on some later Hi-po Mustangs

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=F1926+01