News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where to go for parts...?

Started by Marck, December 24, 2006, 03:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marck

Hi everyone...

I'm a newbie here, so go easy on me, if I'm posting in the wrong section.  ;)

A few weeks ago, I bought my first american muscle car, a semi restored 1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440.
I found it in California, through a guy specializing in classic american cars. Since I live in Denmark, it'll be shipped to me some time early next year, probably mid-late january.

Now, the rason for my post, is that I need som parts, and I can't find them on my own. I've found a lot on www.yearone.com (and by reading other guys posts, I've now discovered, that I could have saved a ton of money by using that 10% off code.. Sucks.. ;) ) but they miss a couple of parts, that i need..

For instance I'm looking for the front fenders, and I've googled and everything, but all I've found is a pretty smashed up fender on ebay..

So, where do you guys go for parts...?

Btw, I'm attaching a picture of my dream come true...

Thanks for your time...

tecmopar

Hi Marck, and welcome aboard. You can start by looking in the "parts for sale" section on this web site, also on Moparts.com and any other Mopar site you can find. One suggestion would be to make up your list and find the parts ASAP, have them shipped to the guy that is shipping the car to you so he can put everything inside the car before he sends it, this will save you alot of $$$ then if you have to have parts shipped to you every few weeks, good luck.

Charger1973

Alot of the parts that arent in Year One (not all) arent reproduced.  The fenders are one of those things that you will have to hunt to find them used, and they will cost you an arm and a leg.  Good luck in your search.  Great looking car too!

Marck

Quote from: tecmopar on December 24, 2006, 03:28:28 AM
Hi Marck, and welcome aboard. You can start by looking in the "parts for sale" section on this web site, also on Moparts.com and any other Mopar site you can find. One suggestion would be to make up your list and find the parts ASAP, have them shipped to the guy that is shipping the car to you so he can put everything inside the car before he sends it, this will save you alot of $$$ then if you have to have parts shipped to you every few weeks, good luck.

Hi....

Thanks for the quick reply..

I'm doing just that, all the parts I've ordered is going to my guy in California, to be put in the car before shipping..

But since it's a semi restored car, there's bound to be missing some parts in the end, that I'll have to order after recieving the car...

I'll start looking in the parts section right away, thanks again..

-Marck

Marck

Quote from: charger1973 on December 24, 2006, 03:31:40 AM
Alot of the parts that arent in Year One (not all) arent reproduced.  The fenders are one of those things that you will have to hunt to find them used, and they will cost you an arm and a leg.  Good luck in your search.  Great looking car too!

Hi..

Also to you, thanks for the quick reply..

I suspected just that, that no one made them anymore... Dammit...

Even the fender I found on ebay cost a fortune, and it was in bad shape..

I'll start looking for a better used part..

Thanks for your help..

Hemidog

Welcome fellow Scandinavian!
what's wrong with your old fenders? looks pretty good from that picture, are they beyond repair?

Arthu®

Hey that is a great looking car, as for the fender, how bad is it? Because for the prices they these days you can do a lot of work on them. Are they beyond repair? The one in the pictures doesn't look to have that many issues.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

Marck

Quote from: Hemidog on December 24, 2006, 06:26:43 AM
Welcome fellow Scandinavian!
what's wrong with your old fenders? looks pretty good from that picture, are they beyond repair?

Hi...

Thanks for your welcome..

I honestly don't know if they're beyond repair, but they have some areas that don't look nice...

So, if they weren't all that expensive I thought I might as well order them now...

I'll attach a picture so you can see for your self..

Marck

Quote from: Arthur on December 24, 2006, 06:31:11 AM
Hey that is a great looking car, as for the fender, how bad is it? Because for the prices they these days you can do a lot of work on them. Are they beyond repair? The one in the pictures doesn't look to have that many issues.

Arthur

Hi...

I attached a picture, so you can see...

I don't know if they're beyond repair, but I thought i couldn't hurt to replace them, if they weren't so expensive...

-Marck

Doc74

Quote from: Marck on December 24, 2006, 07:12:38 AM

Arthur

Hi...

I don't know if they're beyond repair, but I thought i couldn't hurt to replace them, if they weren't so expensive...

-Marck

I see it has some bondo issues but they're not beyond repair, not by far. Strip the fenders to bare metal and start hammering. These are not tinfoil fenders like on new cars and they can take a serious beating.
For them to be beyond repair means that they were probably strapped with C4 and used in a movie.
And for the price of a used set, which may be as bad or worse as the one you got, you're gonna pay top dollar.
I'd save the ones you got, they'll be fine, no worries.
Congrats on finding your dreamride.

Btw are you shipping it in a container or roro ? Watch out with new parts in the car, either you remove all tags or you can be taxed on every new part in there and get you into a lot of trouble if you try to hide it.

motorhead

Searched for 5 years before I found a decent set in Tampa,FL. from a guy named Mike Schappeu. Great guys with some really cool Iron. I was lucky to pay $500.00 for the set.

Charger-Bodie

mega parts 1 608 452 2045 ask for jamie
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Charger1973

Marck

Quote from: Doc74 on December 24, 2006, 09:36:15 AM
Quote from: Marck on December 24, 2006, 07:12:38 AM

Arthur

Hi...

-Marck

I see it has some bondo issues but they're not beyond repair, not by far. Strip the fenders to bare metal and start hammering. These are not tinfoil fenders like on new cars and they can take a serious beating.
For them to be beyond repair means that they were probably strapped with C4 and used in a movie.
And for the price of a used set, which may be as bad or worse as the one you got, you're gonna pay top dollar.
I'd save the ones you got, they'll be fine, no worries.
Congrats on finding your dreamride.

Btw are you shipping it in a container or roro ? Watch out with new parts in the car, either you remove all tags or you can be taxed on every new part in there and get you into a lot of trouble if you try to hide it.

Hi...

I've made up my mind to wait and see what state they're in before I order any parts..

The car will be shipped in a container... Actually, it will share container with a couple of roadrunners...

My guy in California, has shipped a lot of cars to Denmark, and he knows the loopholes with the taxes.. Not that I trying to avoid paying at all, but the more I save, the more can go into restoring the car..

Thanks...

-Marck

Marck

41husk

I would wait until you see the parts in person that fender looks real salvagable.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

TylerCharger69

Judging by the photo...that fender is VERY repairable.  I wouldn't recommend bondo  or any plasic fillers like that.   Those really suck.  Hammer it out as straight as humanly possible.  I've used some stuff called "All-Metal"  for small stuff and things that just need a tiny bit of swiping.  It's a bit harder to sand,  but it's made of different metals,  and it's applied like a plastic  or polyester filler...i.e.  adding hardener. And...it won't crack or bubble as time goes by.  The pic you posted looks like a bondo job though.

Marck

Quote from: 41husk on December 25, 2006, 04:33:03 PM
I would wait until you see the parts in person that fender looks real salvagable.

After reading all the answers I've had to this post, I've decided to do just that - wait... ;)

Especially since they seem to cost a fortune, and are hard to find..

-Marck

Marck

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on December 26, 2006, 12:34:49 AM
Judging by the photo...that fender is VERY repairable.  I wouldn't recommend bondo  or any plasic fillers like that.   Those really suck.  Hammer it out as straight as humanly possible.  I've used some stuff called "All-Metal"  for small stuff and things that just need a tiny bit of swiping.  It's a bit harder to sand,  but it's made of different metals,  and it's applied like a plastic  or polyester filler...i.e.  adding hardener. And...it won't crack or bubble as time goes by.  The pic you posted looks like a bondo job though.

Hey...

I will be finishing to car with my dad, who works as a coachbuilder (I think that's the english word), anyhow he works in a bodyshop, so he knows his way around a car..
But I don't think he's ever used that material you call "All-Metal", it sounds awesome, I'll have to look into if I can buy it in Denmark...

Is you can see above, I've decided to wait and see before I go out and buy a fender...

Thanks...

-Marck