News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dukes of Hazzard, Why?

Started by MoparManJim, December 22, 2006, 12:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bookedbydano

General_01

Bought mine from a guy already painted like the GL. It was sitting in his pole barn for the previous 10 years before I bought it. The guy lived about 6 miles from me and I never knew it was there. My girls love going to the car shows with it. It ain't perfect but it is a driver and the kids like going to car shows with it. It won't be a GL forever, but for now it is just harmless fun. :icon_smile_big:

P.S.- The girls love the '71 Superbee as much as the GL. They didn't want me to sell that when we got the GL. Neither did my mom. It is still here. :icon_smile_big:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Blakcharger440

I think the paint scheme of the GL is just simply tacky. I don't thinik for one minute that the DOH made Chargers what they are today amongst true car guys as they are just bad azz all by themselves without wearing that orange "clown suit".

But like many I just cringe when someone comes up and says "Iz that thur one of dem Genrel Leez!" I simply just say no and
they get this puzzled look on their faces! 
I think there are far to many shoddy GL's out there which makes it worse cause anyone with a bucket of orange paint and a brush seems to be attracted to the GL's style. I just dont think that the paint scheme is very original anymore and just over done.

But to each their own, if ya like the GL then by all means paint away! ......Just dont honk that ridiculus fricken horn!!!!!!!

General_01

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on December 23, 2006, 02:11:54 AM
......Just dont honk that ridiculus fricken horn!!!!!!!

But that's the funnest part!! :devil:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

blackcharger

Quote from: Orange_Crush on December 22, 2006, 01:27:02 PM
1.  I hate the show (and hated it when I was a kid too)

2.  I think the paint scheme is AWFUL

3.  I'm tired of every douchebag who sees my car or one like it saying "Y'oughter pain it orange and put a flag on it!"

I agree with #3. I liked the show then, and still do. I hated they wreck the Charger, and some other rare mopars, but I think there are a ton of new parts made that wouldn't have happened w/o the show. Anyone that turned the show on expeting Shakespeare, missed out on a lot of laughs.How many shows can you watch with your kids and not have to cover their eyes & ears?

Manfred318

Im kind of indifferent about it. I didnt like the show nor did I hate it. I have to say its one of the reasons I got in to Chargers. As for the GL it self I dont personally care for the pain scheme. The orange is fine but the flag and numbers on the side is a bit much for me, and the fact that you see so many of them about these days kinda turned me off for it. To each his own I guess, its not the way I would want mine painted but if thats the way someone else wants to paint theirs then more power to 'em.

3.  I'm tired of every douchebag who sees my car or one like it saying "Y'oughter pain it orange and put a flag on it!"
:iagree:
When I was in high school a few years ago I would get so dired of those dumb asses askin me every single day when I was gonna "Paint 'er orange an putta flag on 'er" :flame: I would always blow their simple little minds by saying that my car was the "wrong year to paint orange and put a flag on it" since it was furd and chebby country most of them had no idea there was a difference between a '68 and a '69, all they saw was a Charger that needed to be orange with a flag on it.

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

Jon Smith

theres so much variety in mopars in general, and so many different colours and options, for example Tim Wellborns collection of 71 hemi chargers, no 2 are the same and they're stock
except when it comes to general lees, everyone is just copying something thats been done a million times before
I suppose the movie producers can buy a bunch of ready done cars for the next film ;D

MoparManJim

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on December 23, 2006, 02:11:54 AM
I think the paint scheme of the GL is just simply tacky. I don't thinik for one minute that the DOH made Chargers what they are today amongst true car guys as they are just bad azz all by themselves without wearing that orange "clown suit".

But like many I just cringe when someone comes up and says "Iz that thur one of dem Genrel Leez!" I simply just say no and
they get this puzzled look on their faces! 
I think there are far to many shoddy GL's out there which makes it worse cause anyone with a bucket of orange paint and a brush seems to be attracted to the GL's style. I just dont think that the paint scheme is very original anymore and just over done.

But to each their own, if ya like the GL then by all means paint away! ......Just dont honk that ridiculus fricken horn!!!!!!!

okay, when you say "Clown Suit" what askly makes it a clown suit? if you call that a clown suit then you should call all racecars now days clown cars then also, because the GL was a racecar. When you say "Just dont honk that ridiculus fricken horn" well what makes that horn so ridiculus? everyone is different an each other liies different horns an I'm not saying anything bad about you or anything like that just asking you a question is all. Thats why I made this post not to fight but to find out what it is about us that makes us feel the way we do about the show is all.

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: jaak on December 22, 2006, 04:02:51 PM
Its like this if I had 5 Mickey Mantle rookie baseball cards infront of me, then I ripped one up, then the other 4 goes up in value.

Jason

We should all feel ashamed. Who left the door open?
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

TripleBlackGator

Will you marry me?
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

nh_mopar_fan

1.  I hate the show (and hated it when I was a kid too)

2.  I think the paint scheme is AWFUL

I'd say you're 3 for 3 in my book.

TylerCharger69

Personally......In my opinion.....everybody who complains about it...complains because...well.....they have nothing better to do.  Perhaps a Midol will help those feel better...or perhaps an enema  or a stool softener?  In any case......who really cares what people think about the Dukes or that certain orange car.  True...the story lines were corny, but at least it was a show  that the entire family could sit down and enjoy without having to worry if there were expletives on the show that kids shouldn't hear or see.   If you don't like it...that's fine...you don't have to.   If you do....that's fine too!!!   If you want to build a GL clone...go for it!!!   So a lot of Chargers met their demise.   Yes...even some R/T cars.....but...it's all water under the bridge now and whining  and complaining and belly aching about it isn't going to change matters.   If you think about it...and this is for all 2nd generation Charger owners...since they totalled so many...wouldn't that make yours worth even more???   It seems to me  that it increases the value for those of us who are fortunate enough to own one.   At any rate,   everybody keeps saying how they are tired of the whole "Dukes" thing...Over  and over  and over again.....Well...Most of us are getting tired of hearing the whining about it....so  take yourselves a laxative  and forget about it.   If you find this post offensive...well  I'll apologize in advance  for it as I'm not trying to offend anyone...but really people.....find something to do!!!   This horse has been beaten enough already!!!   And....In Collier and Co.,  John Schneider's new movie or show or whatever...sports a certain orange car with Vectors.   The cars name is Traveller, which  if you did not know...was General Lee's horse's name.  Now...even General Lee  knew when to bury that poor horse and put it to rest!!!  Let's do the same  and move on to bigger, better and more helpful topics for this forum!!! :horse: :horse:

Judhudson

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 22, 2006, 01:49:36 PM
I want to see a Third generation Charger Dukes Car. Any Pic's ??

Here's my 73 SE as the General Lee: 

More pics can be found at this page: http://www.simprograms.com/images/general_lee/

As for the comment of why people dislike Dukes, it's fairly easy and simple to explain - they just don't.  Personally, I don't think they need to give a reason why they don't like the show, if somebody doesn't like it, it's fine.  I don't try to convince them or pester them.  We all have differences in what we like.  To the Dukes fans, it's the greatest thing in the world.  To the dislikers, it's just "mheh".

If I may, I do have to bring up a few points that I have to disagree with.  First off, even though they did destroy so many Chargers in the episodes, quite a few are coming back from the junkyards from death and being restored.  Lee 1 is a perfect example of this.  Also, even though it is sad to see Chargers being wrecked and jumped, it's just something folks like to see.  Truth be told, we all like to see the various ways a car can wrecked; charger, mustang, any car.  It's just that the Charger was picked out of all of the others.  No matter what kind of car they would of used, the same discussion would be going on.

Also, I have to disagree with too many Lee clones.  Honestly, how many do you see a day?  It's pretty much an event like Dukesfest or something where you will see a lot of them.  Heck, I look outside and see the same model Dodge Rams, Toyota Corolla's, Accords, everywhere.  They are more common then the General Lee.  If you started to see them as often as those cars, then yes, that would be way too many clones.

And last but not least, even though some of you don't like the paintscheme on other makes/models (mine for instance) please keep in mind that for most of us it is difficult for us to afford and restore these cars.  However, I did finally find a 68 so I'm out of this category, but for folks who have the General Lee made from a Beetle, it's just there way of saying they love the show and they know that their chances are slim of getting an actual Charger due to whatever circumstances that are going on in their life.

Just my $.02 worth :)

chrisII

ok my 2 cents. i guess they did trash alot of 2nd gens. on the good side they left the much cooler looking and more refined 3rd gens alone!! secondly , Im gong to bet that for every charger the show trashed 2 have ben SAVED beacuase somebody HAD to have a gen lee clone! thirdly, if not for the shows populairity our cars would most likely not be worth what they are,(I dont know if thats good or bad). remember these cars were just old beaters at the time of the show, about the same as if they did a show now that trashed a bunch of mid 80s motly carlo SSs.  I loved the show when i was a kid and i still do, I love mopars , and especialy chargers so i never did like to see them get ruined but thats TV.

mauibarber

Excluding the internet, where are you guys seeing all these general lee clones?  I rarely if ever even see a 69 charger let alone a GL.  Are you going to car shows and seeing alot of General Lee's all over the place?  :-\

I guarantee for every retard who tells you to paint your charger orange there is another retard who tells somebody with a GL car that he ruined it.  Just food for thought.
-Alex

TylerCharger69

For the record....Mine is the only one (GL) here in Corpus Christi...as far as I know  and so I'm told.  I haven't seen any 2 nd generation Chargers at all for that matter except for one....3rd Gen...yes....and 1 67  that I know of....anyway...can we move on now??? :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse:

Mean 318

I liked the show, and sure it sucked that they trashed so many chargers.. back when they where worth $200-500. But get over it!
And I would rather see a charger a stock color VS. another GL clone, But to each their own!!
I will tell you what I hate " Thats the same as their GL right?" Or "you going to make a GL outa that?"
My  :Twocents:

Ghoste

I'm not sure which is stranger to me, the fact that the show was on the air for as long as it was or the fact that we are here all these years later debating it's merits (or lack of).
Personally, I don't dislike the show and it's obvious from the strong following after all this time that a lot of people like it immensely.  Outside of the car hobby even.  I don't get all nuts about it either.  I like Daisy and the 69 Charger and it was better than Three's Company but when it comes to the DOH trekkie conventions (Dukesfests), I just find myself bewildered.  And I too, have grown weary of GL clones.
However, to anyone and everyone that likes it, I fully support your right to enjoy yourself.  It doesn't matter what I think.  If you ask, I'll tell you but no matter what, do whatever is going to keep you interested in old cars.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 22, 2006, 01:49:36 PM
I want to see a Third generation Charger Dukes Car. Any Pic's ??
Beside Jud's 73:

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

TripleBlackGator

Where's the yawning emoticon when you need one?

Brock Samson

Quote from: Da' ChargerGuy on December 22, 2006, 09:47:53 PM
I used to like the GL, but jeez's cripes already, it seems like there are only 2 different types off '69 Chargers now anymore. General Lees, or pure stock. And, to me, it seems like there are actually more GLs, then stock or mildly custom '69 Chargers anymore. EVERYBODY and their mother seems to want a GL. I mean hell, maybe we should just get it over with and pass a stupid law that says all '69 Charger from now on MUST be painted like the General Lee.  :rotz: I really really kick myself for selling my '69. I wanted to make a Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry Clone. I LOVE that car WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more then I ever loved the GL. Another reason I love Strat's car so much (Brock Sampson) It's DIFFERENT!

BTW - I do not have ANY problems with the GLs that were actually used on the tv show or movies. Just the clones running around.
:icon_smile_wink:

thanks for that...  blush...i call mine the "GENERAL SHERMAN"  merry xmas!   

Lord Warlock

I liked watching the charger driving on dirt roads...since I had to do that daily with my own every morning and afernoon delivering papers.  But what I couldn't stand about the show was the totally crappy acting by every one of the characters on the show.  Luckily daisy wasn't there for the acting, she was there to show skin and legs, which was nice.  But Roscoe's acting was attrocious, Cooters wasn't much better, Enus? cmon... even don knotts in andy griffith wasn't that bad. 

Sure they destroyed alot of chargers on that show, but in return they increased the value of the leftover chargers in a major way, so I don't mind that much.  Plus in those days, there were tons of chargers around.  Today, they are so rare you never see them anymore. 

The main difference in my opinon, and the reason why I didn't like the show, was that I already had a charger r/t BEFORE the show came out, and I was already 17 so the target age of the audience was 8 years below me at the time.  We already had air horns on our cars back then, and some even liked having dixie in the south, but after the show, we couldn't use it anymore or else we'd be posers.  Also as a Southern Boy going to college in Alabama, I had a confederate flag hanging in the dorm for 4 years, but wouldn't have painted it on the car unless you wanted to get it trashed every time you parked it...especially anywhere near the wrong part of town. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Lowprofile

Quote from: Ghoste on December 24, 2006, 09:30:40 AM
I'm not sure which is stranger to me, the fact that the show was on the air for as long as it was or the fact that we are here all these years later debating it's merits (or lack of).
Personally, I don't dislike the show and it's obvious from the strong following after all this time that a lot of people like it immensely.  Outside of the car hobby even.  I don't get all nuts about it either.  I like Daisy and the 69 Charger and it was better than Three's Company but when it comes to the DOH trekkie conventions (Dukesfests), I just find myself bewildered.  And I too, have grown weary of GL clones.
However, to anyone and everyone that likes it, I fully support your right to enjoy yourself.  It doesn't matter what I think.  If you ask, I'll tell you but no matter what, do whatever is going to keep you interested in old cars.

Well said Bro.  :2thumbs:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Lostsheep_01

If you're tired of hearing people trash the General and the DOH, then STOP giving them a public place to vent.  If you didn't make threads like this, you wouldn't have to hear them whine about how horrible your attempts at keeping another classic on the road is.  Enough already!  Just enjoy your car, however it is and stop egging these morons out into a public venue so that both sides just get more and more frustrated.  The key thing to remember is that we're all here enjoying something that we love.  To those who say, there are to many clones, they're NOT YOUR CARS!  Would you rather them end up in the crusher or let someone fix and enjoy it. Come on people, it's the same car underneath the paint and stickers and we all love Chargers or we wouldn't be here!

Denny Crane
69 Charger 383
MoPar.  You're either with us or behind us!

bookedbydano

No I don't totally agree with that .  When I look at a General lee all I see is a General lee. No matter if it is a 1st, second, or third generation charger all I see is the General but when I see color, stripes, no stripes, vinyl, no vinyl, trim, no trim, steel wheels, billet mags.........I see Charger........I see Character.........I see Personality........something that I can say"that was neat or different on what he or she did"  Now don't get me wrong I like the General lee, but there are just to many, just way to over done.  I just think that the"Wow"factor is just not what it used to be for the General at least for me anyway.  I kind of feel sorry for the General in a way,  anyone can slap  on a Flag and 01 and call it a General Lee but we all know there are only a few that can really be Called the Great General Lee, however if thats how you want your car done more power to you, it's your car.  I'm just giving you my opinion and view which in the long run really doesn't mean a whole lot......