News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fiberglass 6 pak hood?

Started by dads_69, December 23, 2006, 01:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dads_69

I'm trying to located the company that makes fiberglass hoods w/the 6 pak style hood scoop molded into it. A member on line here has a hood by the company, just don't remember his name or web site. I've looked around google, nothing yet.
Thanks for whoever helps me out.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Khyron

Brian has one on his 69. They look great. he has the bolt on hood, i'm sure he'll chime in soon :D

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

THE CHARGER PUNK

only 1 place sells the hood with 6-pack scoop molded in, its called show car body parts, i will try and find link-MATT

Sinister68

STAY AWAY FROM SHOWCAR BODYPARTS!

THEY STOLE $900 FROM ME SIX MONTHS AGO AND HAVE YET TO PROVIDE MY HOOD!  THEY WONT RESPOND TO EMAILS AND THEY EITHER WONT ANSWER THE PHONE OR THEY LEAVE YOU ON INDEFINITE HOLD!

LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE - STAY AWAY FROM SHOWCAR BODYPARTS!

:flame:  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:   :flame:  :flame:  :flame:
-James
2013 Challenger SRT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1968 Charger (R/T)
6.4 Hemi/Auto - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 440 4bbl/5 Speed/Dana 3.54

70sixpkrt

Try VFN Fiberglass or Glasstek. I've heard VFN is better then Glasstek.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

dads_69

Thanks for the heads up about Show Cars Body Parts. I ordered fenders from VFN last month. Should be here by mid January. I can buy a plain hood I guess and form the scoop into it, but I'm being lazy, wanting it already done. I'll check with Glasstek also.
Thanks guys.

R2

Go to VFN,,,this is where i got my glass hood,,,and had them graft the scoop on the hood,,,it turned out great..........

HITMAN 149

hey R2...
have some more pics of the car & the hood?!?!?!?
thanks....
i'm looking for a hood w/ a scoop also!!
thanks
-JOHN
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

dads_69

I'm ordering a hood scoop from MAS Racing, bolt on style, I'll mold the two together after words. I like the hood R2 has also, more photos a must.
Mark

R2

I would avoid MAS,,,,just my opinion,,,,havent heard too much positive about them,,,,,again,,,my .02....
I enclosed a few pics of my hood from VFN,,,,,,,,,,,very happy with it,

dads_69

Thanks for the photos. I'll ask VFN if they can set a hood up for me like yours, if not, I'll make my own. I was just looking through a recent mopar magazine and found out that MAS Racing sells the scoops that bolt on. For the $70.00 how could I go wrong is my point. If I order won from them now, I'll call VFN next week. Its a shame we can't rely on a company to get good service for parts and whatever else many of us need. I noticed your hood is flat black,which is cool. I'll most likely paint mine body color.
Mark

terrible one

Hey R2,

If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for that hood, with them molding the scoop on for you and all?

Charger1973

If you paint the hood with the rest of the body, is the paint going to be more likely to crack over time?

dads_69

No, paint will only crack if its bumped, just like anything else. There are such things as spider cracking in fiberglass, meaning the weak points. A hood should be built up enough to with stand the temp from motor and opening an closing. I'm a bodyman/painter. If I order a glass hood and don't like how its completed according to the company that built it, I'll make the structure stronger to with hold my needs.
Mark

70sixpkrt

R2 will VFN cut out the blinker holes?

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

R2

I painted my hood "organisol black",,,,,,although every NON mopar guy asks why it is still in primer ? lol
It has the same appearance as a lift off 6 pak hood on a RR or superbee

I bought the hood at least 5-6 years ago,,,and want to say it was $300-400 ??? dont quote me,,,,i honestly dont recall,,,that was for the hood,,,,,and to have them put the scoop on,,,and the light weight hood springs,,etc,,,,shipped........

I would think they should be able to cut out the blinker holes on the hood,,,,,i should have done this,,,,,although,,,with a small dremmel....i think it would be doo-able....

I like the hinge style for a street car,,,as opposed to the pin on,,,,,,,just easier to use,,,,,

Mefirst

Here is my Charger with a Six-Pack hood.. As you may see my version of the hood is a higher than the one R2 has. This hood is a custom made one here in Sweden.. I will try to make another one later on, once I get a new larger garage where I can work. This hood was made by a friend of a previous owner of my car.. This hood is a lift off, but one could mount hinges on it with out much effort.. The hood is painted Flat Black..

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a225/Gimmegimmies/Stuff/P1010051.jpg?t=1167058436

/Tom

alenglish

some thing like this  Big  Al

http://aarqualityfiberglass.com/
>You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape.  If it doesn't move
>and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct
tape.
>

R2

MeFirst,,,,,NICE CAR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
looks tough..

Runner

r2, i wonder if you get those coments about the hood being in primary morso because your car is black?.   weve never gotten that with my daughters super bee clone.   however we have been asked why we painted the engine bacy body color   lol.

my wife bought me an aar lift off hood for our 68 satellite for christmas. while its a nice hood, ive heard that they do some of the best glass work around.   in all honesty i dont think its any better than my daughters us body source hood. i guess we will see when its mounted on the car.   

on a side note, lift off hoods are great if you have a vynal top car, and work on it much. its nice to have it out of the way.   but for little things like checking the oil it van be a bit of a pain. plus everyone wants to help you put it back on. i feel that its better if i do it myself.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Arigmaster

I'm going on my 3rd year with the glass scoop mounted into the steel hood. I bonded it with Dura-Bond adhesive which is the same thing they used for bonding composite door panels on many different models right from the manufacturer. Not a single crack or trace of problems yet!

BLACKWOLF

try www.up22.com . i know that they have them for 3 gens.
LINNY SMITH 73' CHARGER OWNER HPAC MEMBER NATIONAL STREET MACHINE CLUB LIFE MEMBER
I'M ON FACEBOOK

Khyron

Quote from: dads_69 on December 25, 2006, 12:25:54 AM
I was just looking through a recent mopar magazine and found out that MAS Racing sells the scoops that bolt on. For the $70.00 how could I go wrong is my point.

thats the one I got and I figured the same, how could I go wrong? I'll post some pics of how it looks so far, it's blending in very well :D

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

dads_69

Quote from: Khyron on December 25, 2006, 09:20:36 PM
Quote from: dads_69 on December 25, 2006, 12:25:54 AM
I was just looking through a recent mopar magazine and found out that MAS Racing sells the scoops that bolt on. For the $70.00 how could I go wrong is my point.

thats the one I got and I figured the same, how could I go wrong? I'll post some pics of how it looks so far, it's blending in very well :D
Did they mess anything up such as shipping or ? getting it to you? How well is it made also? I figure for what it costs, I'll grab it. I see The Paddock sells them also, but they are $139.00
Mark

Khyron

no, no mess up, It came in a big box a few days later.

The bolt on one just has the  L shaped metal already glassed in, They were not very straight, but I could live with it. I went to the hardware store and bought some long ass bolts, but I still glassed it into place, just wanted to double the reinforcement.

Be prepaired to do some cutting and fitting. it's not molded to the Charger hood so you will need to be a little creative. All in all, if you take your time, it will come out fine. I'm extremely happy with mine and I would say it's very strong. I can lift up my entire hood by grabbing the 2 air inlets and lifting.  :2thumbs:

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.