News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I just learned something!!!!

Started by TylerCharger69, December 23, 2006, 11:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TylerCharger69

All this time....I thought I had a Ford  8.8  rear end under my Charger.   Turns out  it's a 9"!!!    I suppose that's better anyway!!!

rt green

third string oil changer

TylerCharger69

As soon as this rain stops...I'll tip-toe out there and get one.

Ghoste

TylerCharger69

OOOh....thanks for that heads up!!!   I'll do that right now!!!

41husk

I have a 9" under my 73.  I thought it was a Dana at first :-\
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

TylerCharger69

Well...this one came out of a Mach I.......The guy told me it was an 8.8....so I took that as an okay.....In researching....I was trying to find the one I have.....and the only rear that was put under a Mach I was a 9".   It told me how to identify it (the accessibility of the two bottom nuts)  and to my surprise...it is definately a 9".    I know...it's a Ford product...but....it was free!!!!  And it works great!!!

Ghoste

So just being nosy, would you change it for the Mopar one if you could?

TylerCharger69

Yes.....for a sure-Grip  if one was affordable and available.

Ghoste

That's cool.  Ihad no real reason for asking other than curiousity.  For some it would be a burning flame to have all Mopar and it would have to be quenched no matter what and others wouldn't much care.
I'm probably like you, drive first and change as you can.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TripleBlackGator

Don't jack that thing up too high in the rear. You don't want people pointing and laughing do you? I mean the Ford rear end part. Not that it's a GL clone. Right?
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

TylerCharger69

Yes...it's a GL clone...why?.....And no...the rear end is not jacked up either.    Why would I want to do that anyway??

Ghoste

At a glance, a lot of people wouldn't know the Ford 9 inch from the Dodge 8.75 anyway. 

TylerCharger69

No....what I thought was the 8.8  from the Mach I  turned out to be a 9"     I know  for sure how to identify the Mopar rears....It originally had a 489 case with a 2:76  rear.....then I put a 3:91  in that 489 case with a locker, but it beat me to death and it's highwayability was shot...so I slapped this Ford rear in it...thinking it was an 8.8...but turns out...it's a 9" limited slip.  I like it much better.

Ghoste

But if you just glanced quickly under a car from behind would you notice?  I bet a lot of us wouldn't and virtually no one in the general non-automotive public.  In any case, it don't matter, you already said you weren't jacking the car way and exposing yourself like that.  :icon_smile_big:

TylerCharger69

Yes....the difference is  the Mopar rear differential  is round  where the Ford is more of an oval shape.   The difference between the 8.8  and the 9"  are the accessibility of the bottom two nuts.  The 8.8  are easily accessible  when the 9" are more inset and closer to the casing.   By the way...I have a GM  alternator on it too....Got tired of external regulators and such.    Takes the guess work out of troubleshooting  and less wiring too.  Everything else  is Mopar though...lol

Charger_Fan

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on December 23, 2006, 07:28:33 PM
Yes....the difference is  the Mopar rear differential  is round  where the Ford is more of an oval shape.   The difference between the 8.8  and the 9"  are the accessibility of the bottom two nuts.  The 8.8  are easily accessible  when the 9" are more inset and closer to the casing.   
I'm thinkin' you're talking about 8" & 9" rear ends, not 8.8". The 8.8 is completely different looking than a 9"

The 8.8" has a removeable cover on the back...like in this pic with all the extra pretty colors. :icon_smile_tongue:
They started using these in the early 80's, if I recall.

The 8" is solid on the back, the gears are removed from the front. They usually have a filler plug in the housing.

There's early & late 9" housings, the early one have a similar shape as the 8"...the later ones are more tapered at the axle tubes.
Here's a later one.

The carriers are similar to each other, the bottom bolts on the 8" are easier to get to than the 9", like you stated above.
8" example...

9" example...

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Ghoste on December 23, 2006, 07:20:52 PM
But if you just glanced quickly under a car from behind would you notice?  I bet a lot of us wouldn't and virtually no one in the general non-automotive public.  In any case, it don't matter, you already said you weren't jacking the car way and exposing yourself like that.  :icon_smile_big:

Apparently someone that types in bold knows the difference....and would laugh at the guy :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

TylerCharger69

Yes...mine is the 9"   solid...with the center unit dropping out......Came out of a '71

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on December 23, 2006, 09:29:15 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on December 23, 2006, 07:20:52 PM

Apparently someone that types in bold knows the difference....and would laugh at the guy :rotz:
So I use bold...so what? What's it for if not to use? Would I laugh? No, not really but I would tap my friend on the shoulder, bring it to his attention and we would surely look at each other wondering why? I'm sure i'm not the only one that would do so either. Just one that would admit it. Not hating here. My humor is just underappreciated is all.
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

TylerCharger69

Damn...leave me out of this debate!!!

Ghoste

No debate.  I think it was all lighthearted jabs is all.

TylerCharger69

but anywho...mine resembles the red casing on the bottom...and it even has a 3.00  like mine does too!!!...at least that's what the pic shows

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: TripleBlackGator on December 23, 2006, 10:14:19 PM
So I use bold...so what? What's it for if not to use? Would I laugh? No, not really but I would tap my friend on the shoulder, bring it to his attention and we would surely look at each other wondering why? I'm sure i'm not the only one that would do so either. Just one that would admit it. Not hating here. My humor is just underappreciated is all.

To quote you in another one of your stellar posts........ "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! "   :pity:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T