News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

505 stroker cam?

Started by i c e b l u e, December 22, 2006, 11:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

i c e b l u e

Ok, I have decided to go with the 440 source 4.25" stroker kit for my 440. However, I am now pursuing the most important part of the engine, the cam. I currently have a comp cams hydraulic p#21-227-4 that specs out at
in/ex
lift .525/.525
dur 231/237
lsa110*

I am pretty happy with the cam. it has a good amount of lift with a low duration so it idles nice and lumpy with 12 in of vacume, and it pulls strong through mid rpm. Based on this what would you recommend? I am looking for a Hydraulic(I Know solids will out perform in upper rpm, and roller will out perform everywhere) but do to cost and ease I  need to stay with hydraulic. The only changes I will be making to my current engine are stroking it to 505" and porting the 906 heads, which will flow 270cfm(in) and 230(ex).

Other than a drop in my power band what would my current cam do with these changes. My specs are as followed, if anymore information would help please let me know as I will be happy to supply.

stock 440 block(.030 over)

906 heads w/ 1.81,1.78 valves, hardened exhaust seats, iron guides, manley valves(270cfm intake/230 exhaust)at about .650 lift

(tti 1 and 7/8 headers to a 2.5" exhaust w/ x pipe

stock dual plane intake that I will modify (Port match with some plenum work)

750 speed demon w/ vacume secondaries

mp electronic ignition w/ chrome box

rebuilt 727 tranny w/ precision street converter aprox 2300-2500 stall

3.55 suregrip w/ 295/50/15's height is 26.5"

I took it to the strip once this past summer and ran 13.5's on all three runs, I hope to hit low 12's to high 11's

Thanks Again, Marcus

firefighter3931

The Comp 275hl is gonna be way too small for that engine combo. The stock manifold and carb are also mismatched ; those areas will need some attention.

Carb : 850cfm minimum
Intake : single plane > Street Dominator or TM7....both will clear the stock hood.
Cam : something with at least 245* duration at .050 valve lift. Strokers eat duration....it's hard to overcam a stroker.  ;)

http://holley.com/07303.asp
or 
http://holley.com/30308.asp

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

deputycrawford

My personal belief is that the rear tires are too small and the converter is too low. That 505 will do much better with 275 /60-15. The 28 inch tall tire will give better foot print you are gonna need for the strip. I use drag radials and have even driven it over 70 miles in one direction in the pouring down rain with those tires. You can use a 10" 2800-3000 converter. Your car will only stall to around 1800 at part throttle. The higher stall is needed to keep all that torque from creeping at lights. Oh, and the cam will have to be much larger. I had my 906 heads hacked up bretter good. They run great and the valve guides were cut to use up to a .700 lift cam if needed. You would do well with a single plane intake and duration at .050 of around 250-260. Build the stroker and add parts later. Just get the block right first. You are opening a cool can of worms with the 505. It will be fun to upgrade everything around it and hit the low 11's soon.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

firefighter3931

Quote from: deputycrawford on December 23, 2006, 01:43:35 AM
My personal belief is that the rear tires are too small and the converter is too low.

It really depends what the end goals are for the car. Fwiw, the cam recommendation was based on the parameters outlined above.  ;)

With those gears, tire diameter, stall speed and Hydraulic cam limitations along with the "small" heads....this combo will be all done by 5500 rpm.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs