News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

FM3 3rd Gen Chargers?

Started by Charger1973, December 17, 2006, 11:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

I don't like hemi orange, looks a little too washed out for me, so we're going to create a cleaner color that's similar to hemi orange. We sprayed a DOH car last year in true hemi orange and no one liked it. I tried to warn them that hemi orange doesn't photograph well. Tried to get the guy to go with hugger orange instead.
The mixing room comes in handy at the body shop. I'll probably create a few variations and do sprayouts of each for comparison. Most of my cars are slight variations of the original high impact colors. I've even created pearl variations of plum crazy and curious yellow.

I love 71 and 72 runners. Actually I love all runners. I drive my 69 every chance I get, it's B5 blue.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Charger1973

Quote from: hotrod98 on December 21, 2006, 11:53:53 PM

We sprayed a DOH car last year in true hemi orange and no one liked it. I tried to warn them that hemi orange doesn't photograph well. Tried to get the guy to go with hugger orange instead.

Most of my cars are slight variations of the original high impact colors. I've even created pearl variations of plum crazy and curious yellow.

GNRL01s General Lee is Hugger Orange and it is an amazing color...  I love it.  If my car was to be orange, thats the color id go with. 

I am thinking of possibly using some pearl on my car...  My original idea was a metallic Plum Crazy with a Pearl White stripe (painted on of course).  What do you think?  I dont have much experience with that stuff and I dont want it to look stupid.  Its just an idea right now.

ds440

I dropped in the Coddington Smoothies for you. 

Actually these are the "Smoothie II".  They do look similiar to what was on the original image.  Hopefully this will give you a more complete idea of what the car will look like when finished. :yesnod:

I mean if we're going to do this, lets do it right. ;)

1968 Charger R/T, 440 auto.

mikesbbody

Quote from: hotrod98 on December 21, 2006, 09:15:17 AM
The key here is that I bought extremely rusty doors. The only thing salvageable was the part of the door skin that has the depressions. If they're as rare as you say then I guess that I would be willing to sell them. The door depressions should be worth at least a grand, don't you think. Heck, I'll throw the louvered hood in for another 2 grand and make it a package deal. These items would make a 71 car worth at least 10 grand more. I could then sell my charger and just concentrate on my superbird clone. If no one buys them before summer, they're going on my 74. Personally, I think they'll make my car worth at least 10 grand more. Last summer I put a $15,000 hemi in my 70 challenger convertible and got an additional 35k out of it. That's what I love about my mopars. They're like money in the bank.
that's funny the last time i checked i was allowed to have a opinion and unlike hotrod98 we arent all into mopars for the money.

hotrod98

Quote from: ds440 on December 22, 2006, 11:01:37 AM
I dropped in the Coddington Smoothies for you.

Actually these are the "Smoothie II". They do look similiar to what was on the original image. Hopefully this will give you a more complete idea of what the car will look like when finished. :yesnod:

I mean if we're going to do this, lets do it right. ;)

Perfect...

Quote from: mikesbbody on December 22, 2006, 11:24:30 AM
Quote from: hotrod98 on December 21, 2006, 09:15:17 AM
that's funny the last time i checked i was allowed to have a opinion and unlike hotrod98 we arent all into mopars for the money.

I'm definitely not a flipper. I love all of my musclecars. I've probably owned 200 musclecars in the 50 years that I've been on this earth and not one time did I ever buy one to make money off of it. I can honestly say that. In fact, I've lost more money than I've ever made due to selling some of them to friends and relatives or selling them when I got short of money and needed quick cash. I bought all of these cars back when everyone else turned their noses up at them. That's why I'm buying all of the Trans Ams that I can before they're crushed or cut up to make stock cars out of them. I can't stand to see them destroyed. I attended an auction a few weeks ago and bought every firebird and Trans Am that they had. I had about 5 or 6 stock car guys upset with me for buying up next years stock of roundy round cars. 
The fact that many of my cars are worth a lot of money now is just a bonus. I don't have much of a retirement plan where I work and I figure that these cars may some day pay my bills. Trust me, I'll cry every time I have to sell one. When I built that chal convert, I built it for me with no intention of selling it, but I really needed a new building and my children had some college loans that I needed to pay off. I always planned to pay their way through college. I sold the challenger to a good friend of mine and will be able to drive it every so often and will probably be performing most of the maintenance on it for as long as he owns it.
We do what we have to do and sometimes that means giving up one of these cars.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

mikesbbody

hotrod98 i by no means called you a "flipper" and i think its great if you can make a living from it and i agree with you about liking all muscle cars and dont like the thought of them being crushed etc (mopar or non mopar) .My point is (going back to the door issue) i would think the smart thing to do would have been to graft those rt inserts from the rusty doors into 71-72 doors and then sell them (be worth alot more than plain 71-72 doors) there's nothing wrong with having a odd ball part on a car that never came that way. my dream car is a 71 rt charger and the only way i will get one is a clone (Im the last guy to be numbers matching)!. Another example if you had a 71 rt insert from a wrecked 71 hood and a 73-74 bulge hood i dont think it would be a good idea to combine the 2 since you would be cutting up a rare hood and i dont think you would be doing the 73-74 hood any justice it would be better to wait for a 71 hood to come along (or sell the insert by itself) but...if you are finding people will pay more doing something different then good for you. btw we all have lost too much money owning these cars LOL! that's just part of it  ;D