News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger gas cap and pentagon emblem

Started by john108, January 02, 2008, 04:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

Hi
How does the Pentagon Emblem on the lower part of the passenger side front fender, behind the wheel, come off.  I can't quite see what holds it on when looking into the fender cavity from the door opening.  I would like to remove it but concerned about trying to pry it off.  It feels like a 2-wire spring and it should pop off --  but??

Also:  What kind of tool is used to remove the 3 screws holding down the hinged gas filler cap.  I haven't seen one with three tabs??

John

Troy

The gas cap is attached with special security screws and you need the correct tool to remove them. Chris (Just 6T9_CHGR....) purchased one at some point and made a thread about it.

I can't remember right now how to get the emblem off. I'll try to inspect mine when I swing by the garage later.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Hemidog

hope this helps a bit.

bill440rt

That's a reproduction Pentastar emblem. They are made of plastic & just snap in place. The originals were either held in place with a barrel clip, or had a speed nut on the backside.

As far as the gas cap security screws, it is my understanding that not ALL cars had them. There were some that just used regular Phillips screws.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

440charger68

i used a small punch and a hammer to get the screws of the gas cap, but its not the best idea if you have a good paint job. :slap:
life's a garden, dig it.

john108

Thank you, the comments really helped.  I remembered that the fender was replaced in 1969 after I tested the integrity of a block wall.  The pentastar looks like the picture posted above.  I used 2 small putty knives, one on each side, and popped it off.

For the gas cap: I also used the punch suggestion.  PB Blaster, a small flat-tipped punch followed by a small flat screwdriver and then my fingers finished the un-screwing.  Putting it back will present a problem without the proper tool.  I can see using a mini-grinder on a small cheep socket to make a tool.  $33 sounds excessive to get the tool on e-bay.  Thanks again.

John

Just 6T9 CHGR

This is the tool you will need.  Its a trident head bit for the tamper proof screws.  Not too sure who carries them anymore....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: john108 on January 02, 2008, 07:06:43 PM
Thank you, the comments really helped.  I remembered that the fender was replaced in 1969 after I tested the integrity of a block wall.  The pentastar looks like the picture posted above.  I used 2 small putty knives, one on each side, and popped it off.

For the gas cap: I also used the punch suggestion.  PB Blaster, a small flat-tipped punch followed by a small flat screwdriver and then my fingers finished the un-screwing.  Putting it back will present a problem without the proper tool.  I can see using a mini-grinder on a small cheep socket to make a tool.  $33 sounds excessive to get the tool on e-bay.  Thanks again.

John
I was thinking the same thing, 33.00 for that.  I'll find a way.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

bull

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 04, 2008, 06:40:19 AM
Quote from: john108 on January 02, 2008, 07:06:43 PM

John
I was thinking the same thing, 33.00 for that.  I'll find a way.

Coming out is one thing but going back in is another so when mine is finished some new security screws will be used. I'm counting on the bad guys being cheaper than me. :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

I just bought one and I swore I'd never purchase anything from Frank Mitchell again.  It likely seems even stupider considering the fact that I'm "between" 69's right now but I will have another one eventually and I plan to do it right, so...