News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dukes of Hazzard, Why?

Started by MoparManJim, December 22, 2006, 12:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparManJim

okay we had afew topics on this alot of you mention why you hated it just about, But I did something about what was said though. Heres the question from another point of view.

The last time you said you hated it because of shertin reasons, General Lee with its paint sheme, the totaling of the chargers. 

Well why do you hate the Dukes of Hazzard really? is it because of the charger? or is it because they totaled 2nd gen Chargers? 

Can you explain yourself here?

I set back an took along time off from the Dukes for the summer almost just to try an figure some of these questions out, an all I can thinki of is the totaling of the chargers they did, but heck they probly was alot more back then in juck yards that was totals from the highways an stuff like then what happen on the Dukes. If it was the charger why you didn't like the show for then why would you go out an get one for? because that makes no sences, some of you say I hate the General Lee but yet you have a 2nd gen charger which is what the General was also under that paint.. doh!. If you didn't  watch the show because of the car paint job then there was other things on the show you could have watch just not the car. There was Daisy which was sexy, there was the RoadRunner and the GTX, the ford truck, the jeep Dixie, the caddy, an those things. 

Some of you said is was because they used 2nd gen chargers, well in some movies now days they total those 2nd gen chargers also. The last post was about if you was a lover or a hater, but this topic is why really you didn't like the show or car?

Brock Samson

i hear ya' an i'mma thinkin there's simply too many jemmie lee clones runnin around,..other then that it's no problem, but i'd rather see fewer clones in General... imo..  :-\

Orange_Crush

1.  I hate the show (and hated it when I was a kid too)

2.  I think the paint scheme is AWFUL

3.  I'm tired of every douchebag who sees my car or one like it saying "Y'oughter pain it orange and put a flag on it!"
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

gnrl01

Orange Crush I can totally understand your frustration. Like anything on this planet it is a personal preference and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Even if you totally hate the DOH think about how many chargers have been saved because people love that car. I love all diffrent mopars and obviously did mine as a Gl because

I did love the show as a kid. I don't think that people should stereo type the charger as a GL like you are saying, the charger was a bad ass car long before the Dukes! We all know that. When I was a kid there was a time that I was almost embarrased to tell people I liked the show cause it was corny etc..never thought the car would become the icon that it is today.

Not to take away any original charger because they are awesome but there are alot of General Lee haters out there that shouldn't be IMO because we are not destroying the car, it is a paint job with bolt ons that does not take away the integrity of what it is. I know people who have got tired of owning lees for one reason or another and went back original or whatever. It is paint and a replica that I personally think is pretty harmless. A ton of people have fun with these cars which I believe is what any hobby is all about. "Having Fun"

By the way you do have an awesome car!!

ACUDANUT

I want to see a Third generation Charger Dukes Car. Any Pic's ??

Orange_Crush

Quote from: gnrl01 on December 22, 2006, 01:42:04 PM
Orange Crush I can totally understand your frustration. Like anything on this planet it is a personal preference and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Even if you totally hate the DOH think about how many chargers have been saved because people love that car. I love all diffrent mopars and obviously did mine as a Gl because

I did love the show as a kid. I don't think that people should stereo type the charger as a GL like you are saying, the charger was a bad ass car long before the Dukes! We all know that. When I was a kid there was a time that I was almost embarrased to tell people I liked the show cause it was corny etc..never thought the car would become the icon that it is today.

Not to take away any original charger because they are awesome but there are alot of General Lee haters out there that shouldn't be IMO because we are not destroying the car, it is a paint job with bolt ons that does not take away the integrity of what it is. I know people who have got tired of owning lees for one reason or another and went back original or whatever. It is paint and a replica that I personally think is pretty harmless. A ton of people have fun with these cars which I believe is what any hobby is all about. "Having Fun"

By the way you do have an awesome car!!

Don't get me wrong (sometimes I state things in a slightly harsh way)I think everyone should enjoy this hobby their own way.  I was not a fan of Chargers (or musclecars in general) until I was 15 (20 years ago) and saw Bobby (Streetwize on Moparts) driving down the street in his awesome '70 R/T.  That's the car that made me a Charger fan.  This is why I like Stock and /or slightly modded Chargers. 
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Blown70

slightly modded Chargers. 

:devil:

Doright

I like the car and the show, I hate all the fake look alikes its been way over done, The best Looking body style to ever come out of detroit!
Wish I had extra cash I would get me a nice one 68 69 0r a 70 but at long last I found my long awaited last love a copy of my 72 from Hi school.

Reminds me of My Best freind though back in Anchorage he had a lot of cool mopars including a 70 RT Rust bucket we used to jump snow banks with I tride to convince him not to tear it up but he was a wild man we had alot of fun back then, 30 feet in the air in my front yard one time my X wife had a cool pick of it! I kid you not! He was my best freind back then often wonder what he was doing Im sure he is playing with a 440 some were! as am I.

Johnathan seagull  if you ever read this send me an email!   
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

Orange_Crush

Quote from: Blown70 on December 22, 2006, 02:08:44 PM

slightly modded Chargers. 

:devil:

Yours is awesome as is NYCMILLE's  Bobby's is killer too.

Arkgl01

I hate that they destroyed so many chargers! I have behind the scene pics and some of the cars have RT badges on them and that makes me really sad. As far as the show, I grew up with it and watched it with my mom. She passed away and everytime I watch the show or drive my car I think of her. My car is one of the survivors they found was used on the show. Its being redone right now and I think its going to be one of the nicest generals in the world..If all turn out as planned. Some people dont like it..like my dad. He says it was a stupid silly show that wrecked alot of cars. He also says the general looks like a clown mobil. He gives me a hard time but thats what father do!

69 440 RT matching.. mostly original!

6pkrunner

A show about the caliber of Gilligan's Island, but they destroyed so many Chargers. The Green Hornet and Batman ran for many seasons with the same cars. That this show wrecked so many Chargers was what ruined it for me. No show sohuld have been allowed to destroy so many cars for so little in quality entertainment. Did the second hundred destroyed cars in the Blues brothers make it better than the first hundred destroyed? No - for me it actually ruined it for me. I'm one who cannot fathom needless destruction and that is all the Dukes was about. Enough mindless banter to toss in a few wrecked cars every now and again.
After the first chase and jump the sherrif's office would have set up a road block and shot Bo and Luke dead as dangerous fugitives.

AC/DC charger

In the tv show the chagers usually were pretty safe they filled the trunk with concrete so it would land on the rear wheels first in the movie they did not so the chargers were totalled in the movie but in the tv show they could last through a good 8 episodes
MOPAR OR NOCAR
www.myspace.com/thunderstruck225
Damn blue oval

bull

I get tired of the GL reference too but I bet it happens to anyone with just about any 2nd generation Charger. Everyone who says that thinks it's so witty and that you've never heard it before and I usually respond with "No, no clown suit on this car."

That said, I did like the show like I liked Gilligan's Island or Beverly Hillbillies back then. I think there are some pretty funny moments and I do like the scenes with the Charger but now, looking back, I really see no reason why they had to smash like 300 of them. I don't think the jumps added all that much to the experience. Still, the car was only about 13 years old when they started that show and so at the time it was a pretty common car.

In the end it's very possible, as some have argued, that DOH actually may have helped save more 2nd gen Chargers than it destroyed by creating more attention to them. I have to credit the show for my first exposure to Chargers and I fell in love with the car watching the show. But I love Chargers way more than the DOH and I would never paint one to look like the GL.

jaak

I have a charger and its not gonna be a lee....but I enjoyed dukes as a kid and am still amused by it now. My 2 little girls like watching the old reruns, and with the crap on the tv now, I would much rather them watch dukes.
I like the stunts, those guys had BALLS, every stunt you see was done, not like CGI effects like on movies/tv today, you gotta give them their props. And I know they wrecked alot of chargers, which in a way is bad, but Im not loosing sleep over it. Its like this if I had 5 Mickey Mantle rookie baseball cards infront of me, then I ripped one up, then the other 4 goes up in value.
So I guess as long as they leave mine alone, I could care less.

Jason

Charger-Bodie

first off the thing about them ruining so many of the cars can be looked at differant ways alot of them would have ended up in a crusher anyway thats one of the reasons they ued them they were cheap at that time ....second a general lee with decals and bolt ons offends me a hell of alot less than a foosed out shaved everything prostreeter its alot easier to peel decals than recut s/m holes and door handles ...................live and let live the car is extremly popular {charger} and there for we are going to have alot of opinions about what the perfect charger is .........and one last thing about the show it was corny / but how many shows can a person of any age enjoy were the good guys always win its not racest it isnt full of killing or profanity or referances to sex like every show nowadays dont get me wrong some of that is great but try to find something for a 12 yr old to watch these days that ist rated r {or atleast should be}...in my opinion its one of the best tv show ever
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

BlueSS454

I liked the show as a kid and I still do.  It's really the only reason I bought a Charger, otherwise I would have stayed with restoring all Chevelles.  My 69 done will be a Lee, however, it's only a couple decals and they can be removed later, the car re-cleared and rubbed out later if I get tired of it.  The 69 is one of the 3 cars that I won't sell.  Now if it were a macthing numbers car that I had all the components for, then it would go back Original Restored, but since it's not, just a base model BB car, I'm modifiying it the way I want.  Also, if I didn't obtain this car and restore it, it would have been another one sent to the crusher.  I look at it this way, I saved and resurrected another one that oterhwise would have met a different fate.
Tom Rightler

bookedbydano

I liked the Dukes of hazzard show.  So what if they wreck all them cars, like in the other posts at the time they were cheap.  I however think to many of these car are being turned into the General.  I mean people can do what ever they want to their chargers. I'm all for it but enough Generals.  Your not putting any personality in the car, Once you've seen one General you've seen them all.  I like to see colors, stripes vs. no stripe vinyl no vinyl, magnum 500s vs. billet wheel thing like this are neat to see......  PERSONALITY.............I just think the General is plain and over done all you are doing is copying someone else's Idea your not making it your own in my opinion.  Like I said before though its your car do what you want with it but you will be like everyone else..

BlueSS454

I don't really agree with that.  Like I said, it's a couple of decals, remove them and it's an orange muscle car.  I personally can't afford do to what I would really like to do to it (drop a Hemi in it and make it a G machine).  I've also always wanted an orange muscle car be it a Monaco Orange 69 Chevelle, or a Hemi Orange 69 Charger.  Mine was originally triple green, not too fond of green cars, I have one, that's enough.  I've added my own personality into it so far.  Upgraded it to 12" disc brakes, beefed up the suspension, the engine is capable of running 12's, it's going to have 3" exhaust on it, etc.  It may even end up being faster than my 70 SS Chevelle.
Tom Rightler

bookedbydano

I would rather see a plain orange muscle car than a plain ol General.  My opinion

MoparManJim

John (Bo Duke) did anew movie with a orange charger its name Traveler so you all that have orange cars might get ask is its Traveler or not. Thanks guys for being honest an posting your opions. 

BB1

Delete my profile

chargerboy69

I loved the show when I was a kid. The Dukes is the reason for me loving Chargers the way I do. When I was six years old back in 1980, I first saw the General Lee. I knew then, I had to have one.

To watch the show now , it is a little goofy. But unlike so many shows today, it has a good story. It is a show the whole family can watch. When you watch the Dukes of Hazzard, you don't have to worry about what your kids might hear or see. In almost every show they talk about the difference between right and wrong, and the importance of family. Something you do not see on television today.

As a side note. I do not think I have been to a car show yet, where some hill-jack has not told me to paint my car orange and put a 01 on the side.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

TruckDriver

I used to like the GL, but jeez's cripes already, it seems like there are only 2 different types off '69 Chargers now anymore. General Lees, or pure stock. And, to me, it seems like there are actually more GLs, then stock or mildly custom '69 Chargers anymore. EVERYBODY and their mother seems to want a GL. I mean hell, maybe we should just get it over with and pass a stupid law that says all '69 Charger from now on MUST be painted like the General Lee.  :rotz: I really really kick myself for selling my '69. I wanted to make a Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry Clone. I LOVE that car WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more then I ever loved the GL. Another reason I love Strat's car so much (Brock Sampson) It's DIFFERENT!

BTW - I do not have ANY problems with the GLs that were actually used on the tv show or movies. Just the clones running around.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

bookedbydano

I totally agree.  Over 50 percent of the Generals I have seen are done so bad they should be stripped of their stripes and demoted to a Private!!!!!!!

JimShine

I see it from both sides (and I have a GL clone). I too get tired of seeing Lee's, but I also figure they are saved, and thats cool with me. It is also allowing some people to live a dream, and who the heck are we to tell them not to make their dreams come true to satisfy our own opinions?