News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bad idea? General Lee pushbar on 70 RT?

Started by JR, December 21, 2006, 06:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparManJim

Quote from: BigBlockSam on December 22, 2006, 11:37:16 AM
it's your car but i hate it,  i hate it,  i hate it,  i hate it,  i hate it, and  i hate it,  :rotz:

how man times can your say "I hate it"?  ;D 

to me any factory color other then nice colors are ugly.

Brock Samson

personally i'm not a huge jennie lee fan,.. but I do really like that '70,.. even though it's a '70  :icon_smile_wink:
but im just sayin... the factory shoulda brought them out from the factory with the bumper painted, i think it really looks cool.
i was thinkin of a small jennie lee styled pushbar chromed and alittle lower then the hood it's self...
it'll match the chromed rear trailor hitch...

what about a photo shop?..   :yesnod:

Charger_Fan

Quote from: MoparManJim on December 21, 2006, 07:37:52 PM
well for one if your driving at night an a deer runs out in front an you hit it with out a push bar you can do some damage to your car, now if you have a push bar on the car I think it would more likly prevent much damage to the front of the car from a deer, I'm not saying that would would happen just giving you the extample is all.
Actually, with a good solid hit, the push bar braces usually fold & the upper portion of the bar smashes the crap out of the grille. Or at least it sure did in a couple of Dukes episodes where they bumped a bad guy's car in front of them.

JR, here's a couple 70's with a push bars, in case you needed further visual confirmation. ;D
The first one's a member here, I think the second one's from eGouge.

In my opinion, this one really looks like the push bar belongs on the car. :icon_smile_big:
Yes, this is a member's car too.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

MoparManJim

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on December 22, 2006, 12:26:19 PM
well for one if your driving at night an a deer runs out in front an you hit it with out a push bar you can do some damage to your car, now if you have a push bar on the car I think it would more likly prevent much damage to the front of the car from a deer, I'm not saying that would would happen just giving you the extample is all.
Actually, with a good solid hit, the push bar braces usually fold & the upper portion of the bar smashes the crap out of the grille. Or at least it sure did in a couple of Dukes episodes where they bumped a bad guy's car in front of them.

well thats why you can mod them to bolt to the bumper an also bolt it to the frame rails or bumper supports so it doesn't give an stays in place. The ones your talking about was onlt bolted to the bumper only an when they contact the other car or vehicle the top would bend inward an smack either the hood or the grill an brake it.

MoparManJim

Quote from: Brock Samson on December 22, 2006, 12:19:15 PM
personally i'm not a huge jennie lee fan,.. but I do really like that '70,.. even though it's a '70  :icon_smile_wink:
but im just sayin... the factory shoulda brought them out from the factory with the bumper painted, i think it really looks cool.
i was thinkin of a small jennie lee styled pushbar chromed and alittle lower then the hood it's self...
it'll match the chromed rear trailor hitch....

well thats why now days they make bolt on stuff for your cars, just in case you want to later add it to your car. 

Charger_Fan

Quote from: MoparManJim on December 22, 2006, 12:33:27 PM
Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on December 22, 2006, 12:26:19 PM

well thats why you can mod them to bolt to the bumper an also bolt it to the frame rails or bumper supports so it doesn't give an stays in place. The ones your talking about was onlt bolted to the bumper only an when they contact the other car or vehicle the top would bend inward an smack either the hood or the grill an brake it.
That could be, I don't know for sure.
I have seen some trucks locally, whose grilles have met the same demise from push bars too. The were bolted to the bumper, but the bolts didn't break, the metal on the push bars actually bent. I would also assume some push bars are stronger than others.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

gnrl01

I kinda like it actually, when I first read the beginning post I though uhh no, but it's not bad :-\

JR

Thanks for the replies guys. Like I say, I'm not hell bent either way, but everything I do on this car is not permanant and can be easily changed back to stock. The car will look mostly original with a few bolt on upgrades that will make it more pleasant to drive. Which is what I plan to do when its done, drive the wheels off of it. ;D If that attachment didn't work earlier, I'll try this again

http://1970chargerregistry.com/Gallery/albums/1970-Charger-Pictures/FY170.sized.jpg

That isn't my car but its identical. Except mine has rocker trim and standard mirrors.

And it is a factory FY1, 70 R/T, with the long 'C' pinstripes and black vinly top. All that is put back to original. keep the opinions coming guys, I'm all ears.

Thanks.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

TylerCharger69

After looking at the pic of yours...leave the push bar off.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on December 22, 2006, 04:03:41 PM
After looking at the pic of yours...leave the push bar off.

deffinatly leave it off that car is sweet!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

MoparManJim

heck put a small push bar on it an it can be a Colonel with a black vinyl top. 

JimShine

If you really want one, get one made to mount to the bumper mounting brackets. This way it is easy to remove if you change your mind. Here is mine.

TylerCharger69

Mine is the same way...not attached underneath...no welds either

General_01

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Chris G.

Quote from: JR on December 21, 2006, 06:09:28 PM
And will probably have some updated 17 & 18 inch wheels, seats, and a few other things.

I'm sorry, did you say seats? I would sooner drive my '70 off a cliff before changing the greatest seat Mopar ever invented.

BTW, push bars are for cop cars, trucks and General Lee's. The General Lee is a '69, not a '70.  :Twocents:

rt green

if you are going to put on a push bar, you gotta have a winch too. see where this is going? then theres big tires and roof lights
third string oil changer

JR

Woah, easy guys. I'll probably leave it off I just wanted to know what everyone thought of the idea. And incase your worried about me ruining the car just know I am not doing anything permanant. I love Chargers and have better sense than to screw up a real high impact 70 R/T.

And easy Chris G., I still have my factory high backs. They are in perfect shape too. I'm not going to just toss them out. I drove this car for over 5 years with them before I started the restoration and on long trips they left my lower back sore. And I really like to go around turns so I would really like some aftermarket Brides, Sparcos, or a similar reclining racing seat to go in their place. All the original parts are going in storage til I want it back stock. The interior will be slightly updated with new aftermarket guages in the factory holes, some updated interior trim to replace the worn, fake woodgrain, power windows, and everything elese is original. I am not wrecking the car I just want it more comfortable and reliable to drive. I plan on it looking like the car in that pic just with modern wheels and a low stance.  A little bit of a G-machine I suppose.

But I do know what it is and I'm no redneck thats gonna trash it so relax guys. And thanks for the replies, now can we be friends? :icon_smile_big:
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green