News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Isnt that 1957 Fury buried when brand new being dug up in 11 days?

Started by THE CHARGER PUNK, December 21, 2006, 03:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE CHARGER PUNK

Isnt that 1957 Fury buried when brand new being dug up in 11 days?

dkn1997

RECHRGED

Dave22443

????

I seemed to have missed this headline.  Whats the story here?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

hotrod98

In 1957, a Plymouth dealer in Tulsa, Oklahoma buried a car in a concrete vault in downtown Tulsa. Several other items were placed in the car as well. The person that guessed what the population of Tulsa would be in the year 2007 would win the car. Of course if that person is deceased, the family would get the car. There is speculation that the car will be a giant hunk of rust. They'll dig it up next summer.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

41husk

If it is buried in an air tight concrete vault it should be pristine.  No air, no water, no rust! 
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

hotrod98

The people that were there said that they just set the lid down on the vault with very little sealant. Also, there has been a lot of construction in the ground near the vault over the years as well. The ground above it has been on a sprinkler system for the last 30 years. We'll know for sure next summer. I was told that every room in town was booked for that event.

Charles Addams

Carl1

There is a video of it on You Tube, looks to be pretty well covered up.Looks like some kind of insulation was sprayed over it also. It will be a huge event in Tulsa when the 57 Belvedere is dug up, can't wait.

ramit

Quote from: Carl1 on December 21, 2006, 09:43:24 AM
There is a video of it on You Tube, looks to be pretty well covered up.Looks like some kind of insulation was sprayed over it also. It will be a huge event in Tulsa when the 57 Belvedere is dug up, can't wait.

Can we get a link to the video?

xs29j8Bullitt

After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

ramit

I am very interested to see what kind of shape that thing will be in.

konigcharger

in the movie their pouring cosmoline all over it, i think the car will be in great shape  ;)

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

hotrod98

Let's hope so...those cars were rusting before they left the showroom. 

Charles Addams

Brock Samson

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Brock Samson on December 21, 2006, 12:53:31 PM
what the hell is cosmoline?..

Kinda like a waxy oil.

I'm betting it comes out pretty rusty too, that box has got to be damp inside after all this time.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

hotrod98

If you've ever bought army surplus stuff that was made from steel, it probably had cosmoline all over it. When I was a kid, you could buy surplus "non street legal"  jeeps cheap and they were covered with the stuff. Every farmer around had one or two on their farms. Kept them from rusting while in storage and more importantly while being shipped at sea.

Charles Addams

adauto

Cosmoline is used by auto recyclers (good ones) to this day.
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

TruckDriver

Lets say for the heck of it, if that car does come out and is totally rust free (which would be totally cool), can you imagine what that car would get if they then took it to Barrett Jackson to be auctioned?  :P
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

hotrod98

I'll bet a museum would pay a million or more. Would be cool to be displayed along with the stuff they placed in the glove box and trunk with the car sitting beside the concrete vault. Maybe it'll end up in the WPC museum. My boss sold them a rare car a few years back. They paid top dollar.

Charles Addams

hemi-hampton

Cosmoline if often used on Chrysler cars lower control Arms from the Factory. Actualy made by O.E. Smith in Inianapolis, Indiana & was either Dipped in Black or Cosmoline to protect the bare metal if not dipped in black. I beleive NOS lower control arms sat on Dealers shelf's for years also often Cosmoline coated. I think this car will come out of there looking mint, like brand new? LEON.

Zentelis

If it was coated in anything, it'll need detailed..

I'll give 'em a call  :icon_smile_big:

Old Moparz

Hey, if it starts right up, how'd you like to be the car battery manufacturer & use that for your ad?   :D

My money says it's a rot box, maybe a parts car at best. The concrete box it's in, is probably filled with water like an old basement.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

rt green

that is so wierd, i was just thinking about that car about 2 weeks ago. i was going to do a serch on this site to find out when they were going to dig it up,  but you guys beat me to it.   thanks for the reminder
third string oil changer

PocketThunder

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 22, 2006, 10:49:56 AM
Hey, if it starts right up, how'd you like to be the car battery manufacturer & use that for your ad?   :D

My money says it's a rot box, maybe a parts car at best. The concrete box it's in, is probably filled with water like an old basement.

:iagree:  Unless they put a few feet of sand under the concrete box and put a drain in the bottom of the box.  But there will still be tons of moisture present.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Brock Samson

yeah unless it was air conditioned like the egyptians had  :icon_smile_big: