News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

the worst car name ever

Started by mikesbbody, December 21, 2006, 02:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikesbbody

is it just me or have car names got worse over the years? what ever happned to cool names like charger, challenger, cuda, etc? i saw what i thought was the worst name ever cant remember what make the car was (some new jap p.o.s) but it was called a "picnic" is that lame or what? i want to know what the worst car name is (or have i already found it?)

Charger1973

I dont know...  Diplomat, Polara, Savoy, LeBaron, Omni, Turismo, Horizon, Mirada, Aries, Colt, Belvedere, Duster, Volare...  Im sure theres more but yeah, there have always been some pretty bad names.  Dont get me wrong, some of them are ok, but it still makes me wonder what they were on when they came up with them.   ???

mikesbbody

i heard car companies actually have a team of people they pay to come up with names? some of them should be fired...i think today everything is so P.C people dont want to upset anyone however, there's still hope with the likes of the viper, ram, and of course the new challenger

Red Ram

Well its got to be the Ford Probe.
"In search of truth...some pointy boots and a few snack-crackers"

Charger1973

Bandit72

Quote from: charger1973 on December 21, 2006, 03:09:54 AM
I dont know...  Diplomat, Polara, Savoy, LeBaron, Omni, Turismo, Horizon, Mirada, Aries, Colt, Belvedere, Duster, Volare...  Im sure theres more but yeah, there have always been some pretty bad names.  Dont get me wrong, some of them are ok, but it still makes me wonder what they were on when they came up with them.   ???

i kinda like the name "Duster"
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Red Ram

"In search of truth...some pointy boots and a few snack-crackers"

Ghoste

How about Camry?  Just wtf is a Camry anyway?

Headrope

Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

BB1

Quote from: Ghoste on December 21, 2006, 04:35:50 AM
How about Camry?  Just wtf is a Camry anyway?

It's a hell of a car thats what it is.
Delete my profile

rt green

yugo. or wego.....i guess now its nogo
third string oil changer

Khyron

wow, I figured I would see "General Lee" at least 10 times already..... Haters! :nana:

I'm not crazy about the name El Camino for some reason.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Dave22443

You know, with all the cars using just numbers, like 300C, RX7, F150, K1500, etc., kind of makes you wonder how long it will take someone to come out with a car named "One"  What the heck, its available.

What about Crossfire?  Makes it sounds like somethings wrong with it.

Or the famous Nova, which in Spanish means "No Go" or "Won't Go".  Yeah, that would make me want to buy one  :icon_smile_blackeye:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Orange_Crush

Quote from: charger1973 on December 21, 2006, 03:40:33 AM
How about Chevy LUV    :rotz:

Chevy LUV is not a bad name.  Its an acronym standing for "Light Utility Vehicle."  It's perfectly descriptive to me...

Duster is a very good name.  When you beat someone in a race at the time the car was made, you said you "Dusted" him or her.

Omni was also pretty good seeing as how Omni is a prefix meaning "All" implying that the car was good for all purposes.

LaFemme was a perfectly descriptive name as it was basically the trim level on a Custom Royal aimed at women.  Chrysler was one of, if not the first company to recognize the fect that women had a lot of purchasing power in the fifties.

To me, one of the absolute WEAKEST names ever to grace a car has to be "Challenger."  What is a "Challenger?"  Someone or something that Challenges!  It is not the winner, it is the challenger.  It is the one that Challenges the winner.  Does it BEAT the winner?  Who knows...its just the challenger forever trapped in a state of limbo.  One thing is for sure, its not the victor....it is forever the Challenger.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

41husk

Challenger may be the victor the challenger often wins, but if it wins shouldn't it change to the Champion?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Orange_Crush

Quote from: 41husk on December 21, 2006, 09:16:14 AM
Challenger may be the victor the challenger often wins, but if it wins shouldn't it change to the Champion?

Sure...if it wins, it'll be the champion, but until then, its just a challenger.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

jmanscharger

I started laughing when passed by a "Kompressor"  :rotz: on the Interstate. Mercedes um... Daimler naming  ::)?
1968 Silver Charger RT
1969 Yellow Charger 440
1969 Charger General Lee Replica (rescued W.VA car)
1970 Charger RT Daytona Replica
Previous Chargers Owned 66, 68(2), 69(2), 70(3)

Old Moparz

Found this link & thought it was interesting, has the best, the weirdest & a few more:

http://www.forbes.com/2004/07/09/cx_dl_0712featslide_18.html?thisSpeed=6000

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

TylerCharger69

I think the Pontiac  "Solstice"  is a cool name.      Ford's  "Festiva"  is a pretty lame name too..I think LeCar  is about the crappiest.

NorwayCharger

Quote from: jmanscharger on December 21, 2006, 10:47:46 AM
I started laughing when passed by a "Kompressor"  :rotz: on the Interstate. Mercedes um... Daimler naming  ::)?

How about:

Ssangyoung Musso, Tata Safari, Talbot Samba, Piaggio Hi-Jet, Moskvich Aleko, Lancia Ypsilon, Kia Magentis, Hyundai Pony, Daihatsu Applause,
Dacia Duster, Asia Rocsta, and so on  ;D ;D
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Jon Smith

kompressor is german for supercharger, its not the name of the car, it just means its gonna blow your doors off :icon_smile_big:

darl5433

I personally like the car name Judge. Cause you could pull up next to someone look over and say "You're about to be judged," and then blow their doors off

TylerCharger69

lol....how about..."owned"...lol

dads_69

How about the AMC car, *Hornet*. It sure didn't have sting to it what so ever. Oh yeah, those famous valve covers/air lid many have, MOROSO. In German it means *no good*. Yeah, I want a set on my car. NOT!
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

defiance

Quote from: jmanscharger on December 21, 2006, 10:47:46 AM

Actually, kompressor isn't a model name, it's just german for 'turbo', and is used in the same manner  (i.e., mercedes [insert model here] kompressor is the turbo submodel).  Not saying it's not stupid, just that it's not really the name :P

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Dave22443 on December 21, 2006, 08:52:57 AM
You know, with all the cars using just numbers, like 300C, RX7, F150, K1500, etc., kind of makes you wonder how long it will take someone to come out with a car named "One"  What the heck, its available.
Mazda got real close to that, with their "3, 6, 9" cars. :down:

A guy at work bought a new car recently...
Me; "congrats on the new car, what did you get?"
Co-worker; "a 6."
Me; :smilielol:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

MichaelRW

Quote from: Red Ram on December 21, 2006, 03:37:49 AM
Well its got to be the Ford Probe.

Gynecologists would beg to differ with you.  ;D
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

6670charger

The worst one I can remember in recent history is the Pontiac Aztek.  Not only is it the ugliest thing on the face of the earth, what is the automotive significance of "Aztek?"  Does it sacrifice other cars?  Does it create new civilizations?  Do they die off from disease?   ???
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963

Major Kong

Reckon us Brits must have them all beat ;D

How about The Austin Landcrab for starters?

http://www.landcrab.net/

6670charger

Yeah...........Landcrab is definitely right up there.
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963

OldGuy

Most of you guys are probably too young to remember the AMC "Gremlin" :eyes:.  The name was even too kind for that piece of trash!!

http://www.gremlinx.com/
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

bordin34

The companies use numbers and letters like QY234V so you say you have a say a lincoln because the numbers are confusing. It helps get the name said instead of the model. it was in a motortrend this year. I dont like El Camino which translates into " The I walk"

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

71charger_fan

CaptMarvel

Studebaker Dictator (at least it was made before WW2!)

mikesbbody

i have heard some god awful names! i laughed so hard at many of them! the ford probe was mentioned (isnt that what aliens do to you against your will whe your abducted?)  :icon_smile_big:  I understand the deal with challenger being someone who is up for the challenge (doesnt always mean they win but we know the ass kicking history behind that name!) daihatsu naked? would any guy want to be seen it that? then there's the whole lanuguage translation thing nova="no go" or "wont go" i always thought el camno meant "the horse"? (but my spainish isnt too hot) the "bongo" is known as the "bongo wagon" but...i have heard that mitsubishi have something called a (again with the spainish) "pajero" maybe i have spelt i wrong i heard the spainsh word translates to "hay maker" or someone who "brings hay" but its also very close to the spainish word for "wanker" (somone who plays with themselves) im not making this up, infact a spainish guy actually told me    ;D

SeattleCharger

I hate the name Prelude, what the heck is that?   does it mean we should wait for next model coming, where is it? 

Why did Datsun change to Nissan?  I liked Datsun fine, Nissan is sort of stranger sounding.  I had an 84 4x4 that said nissan on fenders and datsun on the tailgate   ???

Corolla   wimpy

Datsun B210, sounds wimpy, guess it was though,

Cordoba,     ricardo mantleban and rich corinthian leather, 

Isuzu     remember the commercials?  "That's ok, I can't say Chevo-way.

Vega     matches the smily grill and round headlights.

Integra       what , it isn't a tin can disposable car?  it has integrity?   is the name trying to hide something about the car?  they have to
                                  convince us it is not a scam car?  not saying it is, just sounds like they are trying to convince us that
                                   they aren't tricking us into buying junk

Toyota Tacoma,  ya, its ok because its an indian name I believe,  but not if you live close to the city Tacoma, which is a big city 30 miles south of
                                here, famous for the "Tacoma aroma", 

Avalanche    heh, just look at that thing

Passport     

Scion     combination of  kling-ons and  cylons  I guess, 

Kia

Hundai      never know if its hunDAY or hunDIE

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Zentelis

Quote from: Orange_Crush on December 21, 2006, 08:59:17 AM
To me, one of the absolute WEAKEST names ever to grace a car has to be "Challenger."  What is a "Challenger?"  Someone or something that Challenges!  It is not the winner, it is the challenger.  It is the one that Challenges the winner.  Does it BEAT the winner?

It's better than "Beater"  ;D

SeattleCharger

Quote from: Zentelis on December 21, 2006, 10:24:25 PM
Quote from: Orange_Crush on December 21, 2006, 08:59:17 AM
To me, one of the absolute WEAKEST names ever to grace a car has to be "Challenger."  What is a "Challenger?"  Someone or something that Challenges!  It is not the winner, it is the challenger.  It is the one that Challenges the winner.  Does it BEAT the winner?

It's better than "Beater"  ;D

:smilielol: :smilielol:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Badbob

BronzeOnSteelies

Ford Fiesta, Fairmont, Mustang II, Olds Ninety Eight   :sick:
68 MM1 (Turbine Bronze) R/T

2fast4u

I work at a Dealership that sells Honda.......thier latest line-up model is the "Fit".  It's small enough that if you were to get angry at the car you could probably through a "Fit" and if thrown at the proper angle towards a lake you actually make it skip two to three times.........

2fast
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

NorwayCharger

Quote from: 2fast4u on December 22, 2006, 01:07:11 AM
  I work at a Dealership that sells Honda.......thier latest line-up model is the "Fit".  It's small enough that if you were to get angry at the car you could probably through a "Fit" and if thrown at the proper angle towards a lake you actually make it skip two to three times.........

2fast

Honda Jazz was ment to be called Honda Fitta, but for scandinavian language that means, well female genitalia  ;D ;D
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com