News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

FM3 3rd Gen Chargers?

Started by Charger1973, December 17, 2006, 11:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger1973

Im pretty much decided on FC7 (Plum Crazy) for my 73 Charger but I have always liked FM3 (Panther Pink) just as much...  I like all of the High Impact colors really.  But theres just something about Panther Pink...   Its just one of those colors you dont paint a car.   ;)  Thats why I like it.   Im not sure about how it would look on a 73 though...  Does anyone have any pics?  I have seen the pics of the 1 of 1 FM3 71 R/T and from what I can tell thats going to be one sweet car when its done.  And I did see the pics of the 73 SE that was for sale on some website, but thats it.  I didnt like the looks of that 73 SE at all. 

What do you guys think about the color on a 73?  I think I would have to lose some of the chrome like the side "boomerangs" to make it look ok. And it would have to have a bulge hood and the 71 style stripes and spoilers.  My plan at the moment is Plum Crazy with a white rallye stripe and (for the most part stock) white interior.  I know my current combo is killer but I keep getting this thought in the back of my head that pink might be the way to go.   ???

71 Bee Man

Quote from: charger1973 on December 17, 2006, 11:55:29 PM
Im pretty much decided on FC7 (Plum Crazy) for my 73 Charger but I have always liked FM3 (Panther Pink) just as much...  I like all of the High Impact colors really.  But theres just something about Panther Pink...   Its just one of those colors you dont paint a car.   ;)  Thats why I like it.   Im not sure about how it would look on a 73 though...  Does anyone have any pics?  I have seen the pics of the 1 of 1 FM3 71 R/T and from what I can tell thats going to be one sweet car when its done.  And I did see the pics of the 73 SE that was for sale on some website, but thats it.  I didnt like the looks of that 73 SE at all. 

What do you guys think about the color on a 73?  I think I would have to lose some of the chrome like the side "boomerangs" to make it look ok. And it would have to have a bulge hood and the 71 style stripes and spoilers.  My plan at the moment is Plum Crazy with a white rallye stripe and (for the most part stock) white interior.  I know my current combo is killer but I keep getting this thought in the back of my head that pink might be the way to go.   ???

I think Plum Crazy always looks good. I almost bought a Plum Crazy 71 Charger 500 from Mississippi a couple of years back, with 440.......but it wasn't what I'd hoped. Looked the part though.

Peter :icon_smile_big:
Sydney, Australia.
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

Charger1973

These are the pics I mentioned before.  The 73 looks terrible in pink but the 71 looks awesome... 

Nacho-RT74

This car looks weird on that color because 73/74 SEs are not the best sport/muscle looking IMHO. Too much impact color to a luxury car.

This car is of Nick from Cali ( nicksgarage )... he is member of the board and does have its own website about it... the pic below it is a photoshop job about how he wants the final look. Car is an original Pink panther 71, 1 of 1 known
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

41husk

I will go with sublime or sassy grass on my 73.  I don't think I could paint a car pink unless thats what it came with from the factory.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Nacho-RT74

dunno if this is exactly FM3 in fact I sincerelly doub it, but isa fact that is custom since is not a 72/74 color available, not even really a 71 ( this is a 74 because the hanger shoulder seatbelts ). Looks too much better being a Hardtop than SE, maybe even better with canopy roof, but IMHO would keep Original Chromed sections ( not painted bumper ) and argent standart plastic grille. I mean, a kinda stock look.

So kinda pink... maybe photoshop it and will give you a closer look.

Pic from old board members rides section I saved on those days
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Brock Samson

Me?..  i'm not feelin it but you might be braver than I.
would be rare,.. but funny. Well,  if you didn't like it you could always dress up in the Energizer Bunny suit.

sorry, you asked...

Just 6T9 CHGR

IMHO that is a 1 and possibly ½ year color that should stay only on that 1 and possibly ½  year car... :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger1973

I HIGHLY doubt I would ever paint a car that color unless I had more than one and the second was for my girlfriend or something...  But ive just always been curious about what it would look like on one.  I like my cars be different than the other cars on the road and color is one way to help stand out.  I know I asked for opinions and thats what I want.  Any other pics you guys can find would be great too.  Thats a cool pic Nacho, it might not be exactly the color but it gives a pretty good idea.  :yesnod:

Also as far as the green go or sublime or sassy grass, I dont know why but it just doesnt seem to look right on a 73/74 to me...  That is what I am trying to avoid, a car that just doesnt look right with the color.  Im not sure why it looks bad but to me it does.  Looks great on a 71 R/T though.

Brock Samson

the '71 could certinly pass being simply put a BAD ASS car,.. but beyond that i wouldn't be to happy about driving around in a car everyone thinks has something to do with either a playboy bunny or a Mary Kay saleswoman..
didn't playboy give a panther pink r/t to a bunny or the year in '71?.. i seem to remember that...

mikesbbody

I say paint her the way you want to its all fine getting others opinions but at the end of the day if you like the way she looks that's all that matters be 100% sure though! I have a 72 charger se thats painted in a non factory color (close to go green? but i think lighter) i think she looks great!

Charger1973

Its just such a cool color.
This is my dream lineup   :icon_smile_wink:

1973 Charger (custom) - Plum Crazy
1971 Charger R/T - Green Go
1971 Charger Superbee - Top Banana
1970 Challenger T/A - Panther Pink

mikesbbody

i just emailed you pics of my charger you may/may not like them but check them out   mike.

Charger1973

Got em, thanks man.  I dont think ive ever seen pics of your car on here before?

mikesbbody

you are right its never been posted im not the best when it comes to computers it just seemed easier to email them to you when i know what im doing i will probably post a pic up  ;D

Charger1973

Hope you dont mind, I attached a few pics of your car for you. 

Brock Samson

looks pretty good dispite all that kermit green  :icon_smile_approve:

mikesbbody

no problem about posting the pics matt and thats not the first time its been called kermit green iether LOL!  ;D

konigcharger

whats wrong with green?

i always liked the look of the 72SE's W/O the vinyl top :thumbs:

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

41husk

That is sassy grass or green go, correct?  I ahve been going back and forth between that and sublime, and must say seeing yours has me leaning towards Green go.  That looks great.  I am going with black super bee stripes and decals! Also body color bumpers.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

ds440

Here's the options you were considering for your '73.

I wasn't sure what kind of rims you have/will have/want-to-have, etc...so I just threw some five spokes on there.  FM3 is hard to replicate.  In some of those other images, the cars appear to be a little too "Mary Kay" or "Barbie" pink.  FM3 has more red (I think).

Hopefully this will solidify your choice of Plum Crazy. ;D

1968 Charger R/T, 440 auto.

Charger1973

WOW...

Ok my jaw is on the floor, literally. Plum crazy it is.   :icon_smile_big:

I really do like the Panther Pink one too though...  If I ever get another one...   :yesnod:

By the way, is it hard to do those??  If not I need to learn how!  Would be sweet to see those in Top Banana and Green Go as well!

ds440

Go Green (another pain to match).  So it's "go-green-ish."  The high impacts are hard to get exact.  :icon_smile_cool:

Top Banana...ish...

Charger1973

Sweet!  Thanks man!   I bet that helps out quite a few of us tryin to decide what color to paint our 3rd gens.   :yesnod:

Nacho-RT74

ok THOSE DRAWS ARE REALLY HOT !!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M DROOLING

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Charger1973

I think Da' ChargerGuy just found his new color  :P

mikesbbody

if that's what your 73 is going to look like its going to look hot! re: to the color of my 72 charger (koingcharger/41husk) i know its not a mopar color i bought the car that color i think the guy before me tried for a mopar color but...didnt quite get there but I still like green but i think the 73 will look hot in that color combo cant wait to see it!

Charger1973

This was my original color combo I came up with when I first saw the car.  I saw the white interior and immediately decided it should be purple with a white rallye stripe. It will be unlike any other 3rd gen ive seen.  Im not sure what I will do with the wheels yet but this car looks almost identical to what I have in mind.  :D

mikesbbody

correct me if im wrong, but are those oversized torque thrust wheels in your charger pic? or is it just dropped low with lower profile tires? i know this is gettng off topic, but ive always thought of myself as a "15" wheel guy but...those wheels on your charger suit the look i have seen bigger wheels on mopars that do look good and on others that dont i guess its getting the combo right?

ds440

I used Foose's "Nitrous Chrome" rims for the rendering.  The reason?  Because I already had them cropped and ready to go. :P  I had no idea what charger1973 was looking for, so I just dropped in what I had from other projects. ;)

As far as the sizing, they are slightly larger than stock, but not huge.  In the renderings I use the existing rim as the basis for the size and angle of the "new" rim.  I think that modern rims on musclecars tend to look awkward because cars were not originally designed (aesthetically speaking) to have such low profile rubber.  So the trick is getting that balance between too little and too much tire.  But if you were to ask me what size rim are shown in the renderings - I have no idea.  Like I said, I just drop them in the image. :P

And the car is lowered in the front just enough to give a slick "stance."  Again, subtle is better.  :yesnod:

mikesbbody

it looks good to me but i know what your saying about the bigger wheels look on muscle car if not done right it really doesnt look right! i think it looks good in the rendering, but ill stick with what i know which is "15's" id like to see the car for real.   

Charger1973

Quote from: mikesbbody on December 20, 2006, 09:48:25 PM
it looks good to me but i know what your saying about the bigger wheels look on muscle car if not done right it really doesnt look right! i think it looks good in the rendering, but ill stick with what i know which is "15's" id like to see the car for real.   

I may end up trying something like this on my car someday (bigger wheels) since im planning to customize the car quite a bit.  I dont like the crazy over the top lambo doors and all that stuff, but some updating is ok.  I think old school muscle cars with some modern day features can look really good... if its done right. 

hotrod98

ds440,
I've been trying to get my idea for my 74 charger hardtop drawn out for quite a while. I hope you don't mind my altering your pic. I've been collecting parts for over a year for the build and the plan changes as I go along. I now have the 71 style door depressions, a 71 R/T louvered hood and have found a set of 71 grilles. I have a 440 six pack motor but may just place it in my 71 cuda and use the 340 out of it for this ride to make it a little more cruise night friendly. I also have a complete 4 speed with the pistol grip shifter as well.
I haven't been able to convince people that I can make a 74 charger look good, but this pic might change their minds. The louvers in the door are a little crude but I don't have high dollar software to work with. Couldn't figure out how to make the hood look like a louvered hood, but it does't show that much in a side view anyway.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

konigcharger

one that was on ebay

i think it looks prett cool

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

Khyron

not sure I'm to crazy about the gold on the "Gills" but the car looks worthy :D

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

hotrod98

That's the first 73-74 body style that I've seen with the 71 r/t door depressions grafted in. Looks pretty good. Makes me want to go out into the shop and start cutting my doors.
I'll take pics as I convert the doors. Which should be soon I hope. Thanks for the pics.

Charles Addams

Charger1973

That would make this the 2nd one you have ever seen   :P

hotrod98

oops...forgot about that one already. Actually, the purple one was the first one. I'm sure glad I found those rusty doors now. Those 71 depressions make the car in my opinion, even on the later body style. I bought a set of 71 r/t doors and a pretty nice louvered hood for $400. Unfortunately, the taillights were already missing.

Charles Addams

Charger1973

I agree they look awesome.  But..  they would clash with my rallye stripe and I need my stripe!

The taillights should be easy to find compared to what you already have though. 

hotrod98

A friend of mine has an extra set of the bezels and housings and the lenses are around $400. I could probably be into a set for $600 total. I also have a set of the 72 SE taillights and housings which look pretty good, but not quite as cool as the 71-72 R/T style taillights.
I like the stripes as well, but I love those depressions a little more, I think.
I already have all of the parts gathered up for my superbird clone project, but think that I might build this 74 first since it's already in great shape and would be a much easier build than the bird clone. I would love to make the 74 my "weekend driver", since I'm getting to the point that I'm afraid to drive the cudas since the grilles and front end parts are non-existent and people around here don't know how to drive.

Charles Addams

Charger1973

I got my taillights and hideaways from the same car for $450 but I have a broken lens on one side.  Plannin to order the repros and sell off the original ones I have at some point. 

mikesbbody

I personally like matt's car without the rt door inserts dont get me wrong, the orange car looks cool but remember they only made so many 71 rt doors so if you graft them into 73-74 doors there's no going back (it could probably be reversed but who would want to do that?) save the rt doors for guys with 71 rt's, guys who want to make clone, etc i agree with matt new with old if not over the top can look very cool.

hotrod98

The key here is that I bought extremely rusty doors. The only thing salvageable was the part of the door skin that has the depressions. If they're as rare as you say then I guess that I would be willing to sell them. The door depressions should be worth at least a grand, don't you think. Heck, I'll throw the louvered hood in for another 2 grand and make it a package deal. These items would make a 71 car worth at least 10 grand more. I could then sell my charger and just concentrate on my superbird clone. If no one buys them before summer, they're going on my 74. Personally, I think they'll make my car worth at least 10 grand more. Last summer I put a $15,000 hemi in my 70 challenger convertible and got an additional 35k out of it. That's what I love about my mopars. They're like money in the bank.

Charles Addams

ds440

Nice work, hotrod98.

I cleaned it up for you a bit.  And I tried my best to add in the louvered hood.  What you have to do is cut and paste the parts from other images and then place them over the existing image.  The trick is to find an image that is from a similiar angle (no small task :P).  Then I use key points from both cars to make sure that the proportions are the same.

The hood was tricky.  It's pretty close (I hope).

hotrod98

Man that is awesome. I wish that I had the ability to do that. What software do you use? I priced photo shop or something like that and it was around $500. I was shocked. I expected $100 to $150 at the most. Shows you how out of touch I am.
Thanks, you made my day.
Larry
hotrod98

Charles Addams

hotrod98

My wife vetoed the go-mango color. She prefers a darker shade of orange. She has picked the color on all of our cars so far and I have to say that she's never been wrong. Here it is a little darker.  Except for the wheels, this is exactly the way that I plan to build it. I already have Coddington Smoothies for the car. They look a lot like these Foose wheels only without the dimples. The only parts that I don't have yet are the front and rear spoilers. They're easy to get though.

Charles Addams

Brock Samson

Charger1973

yep the darker orange looks 100% better to me too!

hotrod98

I don't like hemi orange, looks a little too washed out for me, so we're going to create a cleaner color that's similar to hemi orange. We sprayed a DOH car last year in true hemi orange and no one liked it. I tried to warn them that hemi orange doesn't photograph well. Tried to get the guy to go with hugger orange instead.
The mixing room comes in handy at the body shop. I'll probably create a few variations and do sprayouts of each for comparison. Most of my cars are slight variations of the original high impact colors. I've even created pearl variations of plum crazy and curious yellow.

I love 71 and 72 runners. Actually I love all runners. I drive my 69 every chance I get, it's B5 blue.

Charles Addams

Charger1973

Quote from: hotrod98 on December 21, 2006, 11:53:53 PM

We sprayed a DOH car last year in true hemi orange and no one liked it. I tried to warn them that hemi orange doesn't photograph well. Tried to get the guy to go with hugger orange instead.

Most of my cars are slight variations of the original high impact colors. I've even created pearl variations of plum crazy and curious yellow.

GNRL01s General Lee is Hugger Orange and it is an amazing color...  I love it.  If my car was to be orange, thats the color id go with. 

I am thinking of possibly using some pearl on my car...  My original idea was a metallic Plum Crazy with a Pearl White stripe (painted on of course).  What do you think?  I dont have much experience with that stuff and I dont want it to look stupid.  Its just an idea right now.

ds440

I dropped in the Coddington Smoothies for you. 

Actually these are the "Smoothie II".  They do look similiar to what was on the original image.  Hopefully this will give you a more complete idea of what the car will look like when finished. :yesnod:

I mean if we're going to do this, lets do it right. ;)

mikesbbody

Quote from: hotrod98 on December 21, 2006, 09:15:17 AM
The key here is that I bought extremely rusty doors. The only thing salvageable was the part of the door skin that has the depressions. If they're as rare as you say then I guess that I would be willing to sell them. The door depressions should be worth at least a grand, don't you think. Heck, I'll throw the louvered hood in for another 2 grand and make it a package deal. These items would make a 71 car worth at least 10 grand more. I could then sell my charger and just concentrate on my superbird clone. If no one buys them before summer, they're going on my 74. Personally, I think they'll make my car worth at least 10 grand more. Last summer I put a $15,000 hemi in my 70 challenger convertible and got an additional 35k out of it. That's what I love about my mopars. They're like money in the bank.
that's funny the last time i checked i was allowed to have a opinion and unlike hotrod98 we arent all into mopars for the money.

hotrod98

Quote from: ds440 on December 22, 2006, 11:01:37 AM
I dropped in the Coddington Smoothies for you.

Actually these are the "Smoothie II". They do look similiar to what was on the original image. Hopefully this will give you a more complete idea of what the car will look like when finished. :yesnod:

I mean if we're going to do this, lets do it right. ;)

Perfect...

Quote from: mikesbbody on December 22, 2006, 11:24:30 AM
Quote from: hotrod98 on December 21, 2006, 09:15:17 AM
that's funny the last time i checked i was allowed to have a opinion and unlike hotrod98 we arent all into mopars for the money.

I'm definitely not a flipper. I love all of my musclecars. I've probably owned 200 musclecars in the 50 years that I've been on this earth and not one time did I ever buy one to make money off of it. I can honestly say that. In fact, I've lost more money than I've ever made due to selling some of them to friends and relatives or selling them when I got short of money and needed quick cash. I bought all of these cars back when everyone else turned their noses up at them. That's why I'm buying all of the Trans Ams that I can before they're crushed or cut up to make stock cars out of them. I can't stand to see them destroyed. I attended an auction a few weeks ago and bought every firebird and Trans Am that they had. I had about 5 or 6 stock car guys upset with me for buying up next years stock of roundy round cars. 
The fact that many of my cars are worth a lot of money now is just a bonus. I don't have much of a retirement plan where I work and I figure that these cars may some day pay my bills. Trust me, I'll cry every time I have to sell one. When I built that chal convert, I built it for me with no intention of selling it, but I really needed a new building and my children had some college loans that I needed to pay off. I always planned to pay their way through college. I sold the challenger to a good friend of mine and will be able to drive it every so often and will probably be performing most of the maintenance on it for as long as he owns it.
We do what we have to do and sometimes that means giving up one of these cars.

Charles Addams

mikesbbody

hotrod98 i by no means called you a "flipper" and i think its great if you can make a living from it and i agree with you about liking all muscle cars and dont like the thought of them being crushed etc (mopar or non mopar) .My point is (going back to the door issue) i would think the smart thing to do would have been to graft those rt inserts from the rusty doors into 71-72 doors and then sell them (be worth alot more than plain 71-72 doors) there's nothing wrong with having a odd ball part on a car that never came that way. my dream car is a 71 rt charger and the only way i will get one is a clone (Im the last guy to be numbers matching)!. Another example if you had a 71 rt insert from a wrecked 71 hood and a 73-74 bulge hood i dont think it would be a good idea to combine the 2 since you would be cutting up a rare hood and i dont think you would be doing the 73-74 hood any justice it would be better to wait for a 71 hood to come along (or sell the insert by itself) but...if you are finding people will pay more doing something different then good for you. btw we all have lost too much money owning these cars LOL! that's just part of it  ;D