News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

220 V in garage

Started by Silver R/T, December 16, 2006, 11:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

Anyone know how to get 220 V in garage. I need it for my compressor. I have hard time finding someone to come out and do it for me.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Telvis

I did it myself. It's not hard. You can get everything you need at Home Depot. You can probably search online and find out how.

Silver R/T

Im not really good with electric.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: Silver R/T on December 17, 2006, 12:06:59 AM
Im not really good with electric.

Then call an electrician!  Jesus!

You ask how to do it, and then once you get advice you say you can't?  What's with that?

Silver R/T

everyone can say. go to home depot, lowe's etc. But how do you exactly do it?
If you can't help do not reply

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Vainglory, Esq.

Bandit72

Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Neal_J

Silver:  I'll even help you with the typing:  G-O-O-G-L-E . C-O-M.  Try it for all your silly questions!

You can do it, Sparky!

Neal

Telvis

You will need to add a new circuit to your main box. You do so by adding a double pole breaker. You will need to check and see if you have space to add it. Then run a line to your garage. You have one ground, one neutral and two hot that are red and black. Everything connects like a regular 110V connection except for the extra hot wire. That's why you need a double pole breaker. You have one side for each hot line. Check your compressor to see what amp breaker is recommended. Just make sure you turn off all the power before connecting everything. Your main box should have a main breaker. Shut it off before making any connections.

If it sounds confusing please call an electrician. The cost will be much cheaper that your funeral.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Troy

The guy who hooked up my compressor charged me $25 (side job by commercial electrician with 25 years of experience). The lines were already ran to the building but they were set up for 3 phase. He brought all of his own tools, clips, wire nuts and all the little things I forgot while I was trying to choose the correct wire for 45 minutes at Lowes. I didn't have to worry about turning myself into a french fry, buy any special tools, or read any instructions. On the other hand, if I were to decide to do it myself I'd buy a good reference book OR I'd use Google to find a home improvement web site where I could ask experts and learn about local codes. I bet if you go to DIY network's site there's a step-by-step tutorial. It didn't look that hard (there's only 3 wires right?) but I had just spent $1,100 on a compressor and was a little nervous about zapping it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

derailed

Its not hard at all if you have some basic electircal knowledge, I just did this a few months ago with some help from crazy440 and a few other guys here. I had a 50 amp breaker in my main panel that wasnt being used and ran it to a sub panel in my garage for my welder which is what I would recommend doing given the price of wire. That way in the future you can put a few more outlets in off of it.

OttawaCharger

when I wired mine in I put a shutoff right next to the compressor.  Saves you from having to run to the breaker box if you ever want to shut off power to the compressor.  My CH had a wiring diagram inside the box where the electrical hooks into the unit.  It's a good thing because their colour coding was off.
Another note - make sure you get a large enough gauge wire.  Most compressors will actually say what gauge to use on the motor.
And if you're worried about wiring it yourself, get an electrician to do that actual hook up after you pull the wire in for it.  No sense losing sleep over 'what you did in the electrical panel'  ;D
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

69_500

Tory, you spent $1,100 on a compressor? Just kidding. I did the same thing, but I wired mine myself. Its fun to play with electricity.

d72hemi

Home Depot carries a number of books covering the subject. I used the Black and Decker book when I did mine. The book is written so than nearly anyone could do it. I also talked with with the guy in the electrical deparment. He worked 10 years as a contrctor, then 20 as an inpector. The odds are that the guy in your store will not be as knowlageable as he was, but they should be able to further explain the details of the book. Telvis did a good job covering the install proceedures. You will will also need to get the right gauge wire, make sure the new curcuit along with your current curcuits do not overload your current main breaker. If you do not have room in your current box you will need to install a secondary box. To do that you will need shut the power to house off to install the new box, like I had to. If you need to do that, and there is not a main switch (at or near the meeter) that you can switch, the power company may charge you for them to come out. If you decide to tackle this, and have the round "gum ball machine" type meeter, I can tell you how to turn your house power off, but if your power Co. is not like mine, thet may get mad with you. Mine will not give you permission to do so (liability), but they have no problem coming out to your house, to replace the tamper tag. Just PM me for the power shut off, if this is the case.

Ian

Troy

Quote from: 69_500 on December 17, 2006, 02:51:22 PM
Tory, you spent $1,100 on a compressor? Just kidding. I did the same thing, but I wired mine myself. Its fun to play with electricity.

Ah yes, I did... but it's a really cool compressor! This thing ran a couple of D/A sanders for several hours a while back (almost constant running) and it's quiet enough that you can have a conversation in an enclosed garage within a few feet of it. It's got a really high duty cycle (continuous run feature) which is what I need since - even though I only use it once a month - I'll use it all day or straight through the whole weekend. The hardest part was getting it unloaded off a 4x4 dually Ram by myself!
http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catalog/item/504747/172993.htm

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

70charger_boy

I just use the plug for my Dryer thats in the basement

MOPARHOUND!

That is what I thought I would do if I needed to use 220v for a welder here at the house, use the clothes drier plug in.

Don't know if there would be circuit breaker issues though?

Have used the outlet for an old electric 220v cooking stove in the past at a remote location, and it ran a stick welder successfully without problems.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

BrianShaughnessy

I called an electrician  friend last spring when I upgraded the stove and had the bathroom done.    My 60's vintage house needed an upgrade all the way around...  new service,  box, etc.     Ran 50 amp / 3 wire 8 guage to the new stove,   took the 2 other 30 amp 220 circuits  that ran the old stove / oven and ran one right out thru to the garage for my 220 into the garage.   Used the other line and ran it into a storage closet under my basement stairs (near the garage) to a small seprate box for my compressor.
    I probably paid him around $2K in total for everything w/ parts.    If the house burns down she can't blame me  :icon_smile_big:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.