News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hedman headers

Started by darkside, November 04, 2006, 04:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkside

Anyone running the hedman headers part #78036  in a 69 440 charger?How do they fit?I'm looking to buy a set of headers and i will not run tti,they are way to pricey so  hedmans or hookers?

Runner

ive never had an issue with the headman headers with lowdecks,  they fit really good.  then i biult a 440 for my daughters 69 superbee clone.    the passenger header is fine but the drivers side hitd the powersteering box in a couple different places.   a real pain in the butt.     i very well might try a set of doug thorley headers on it at some point.     i have hooker comps on my 452 lowdeck in my roadrunner and they fit nice as well.  i acually like those headers alot.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Ghoste

Same thing here.  I have a set of Hedman's on a low deck and they fit fine but you can see how a 440 would easily be a problem.  I know the TTI's are a lot of money but I'd still give them some consideration.  It can be worth it to avoid the headaches.

firefighter3931

I had those headers on my old 440....they fit OK but the big starter would not work ; not enough clearance. I ended up using a starter off a smallblock. I never did try them with a mini starter so i can't comment on clearance issues with that combination of parts.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

General_01

I run the Hedman Elite Headers on my 69 Charger w/440. I run a mini starter. Also, you will have to install the starter and the header at the same time. You cannot mount the starter and then install the headers or do it the other way either. I have tried. I have run with a full size starter before, but it reaaly sucks to get it in and the starter touched the header. I also had alot of starters give out due to heat issues. If you have power steering, expect trouble. I have no PS and no PB, so my drivers side is pretty open. All in all, just remember it is gonna be a little pain in the but to put headers in. Get a second person to help for sure.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

71charger_fan

I bought Mopar Performance headers from Mancini years ago. When I got them, they were Hedman Huslers with a MP sticker on one side of the box. They fit fine but they're still headers, they complicate the hell out of dealing with the starter. I switched to the mini starter before buying these so I have no idea if the large starter would work or not. I doubt it. I've been leaning toward the Schumachers myself for my next set.

darkside

i havea 383 in the car now with the mp  mini starter and power steering,Is the 440 block wider than a 383?I know the intake is bigger on the 440?

Chryco Psycho

the engine is wider & talller , the heads move outward at a 45* angle from the crank

Runner

if i was choosing between the 2 id do the thorleys,   they are acually have a low deck header and a tall deck header

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Chryco Psycho

Or spend the $$ & get TTi they will fit properly & you will not regret it as the spark plugs will be easier to change & the wires will not burn against the headers  & will not leak

scottmiller

Which tube diameter are you guys running on the Headers?

I have 1 7/8 headman on my 440 now (though they are about 15 years old), am redoing the whole car and will need new headers.  My biggest problems are burnt plug wires and the header touching the torsion bar on the driver's side, which you can hear tapping at idle.

Header money is well spent in my book after many a times pulling off the road because the car starts missing with a burnt wire.

If TTI's are the best bet, which model/tube diameter for the 440?

Thanks again... this site in an invaluable resource for all of us.

-Scott

firefighter3931

Quote from: scottmiller on December 13, 2006, 10:23:01 AM

If TTI's are the best bet, which model/tube diameter for the 440?

Thanks again... this site in an invaluable resource for all of us.

-Scott

Scott, for a 440 you're gonna want a 17/8in primary tube.....2in is too big and it will kill off some torque. This has been verified many times on the dyno.  ;) A 17/8 x 3 header is good up to 550hp....then you should be looking bigger.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

scottmiller

Thanks Ron.

My engine is right around 550hp line (4.15 stroker).  When I rework the heads, it'll put me over the top for sure.

As much as I enjoy burning my knuckles trying to fix plug wires on the side of the road I will probably still buy the 1 7/8" headers simply because of plug wire clearances, unless others are running the 2 inchers without issue.

My exhaust is 3" all the way back which should play into the flow equation.

-Scott

Steve P.

So if you will be over the 550HP mark you will need to step up to 2" headers. The TTI headers will clear nicely and you should never have to burn your digits again..    ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: scottmiller on December 14, 2006, 08:15:14 AM
Thanks Ron.

My engine is right around 550hp line (4.15 stroker).  When I rework the heads, it'll put me over the top for sure.

As much as I enjoy burning my knuckles trying to fix plug wires on the side of the road I will probably still buy the 1 7/8" headers simply because of plug wire clearances, unless others are running the 2 inchers without issue.

My exhaust is 3" all the way back which should play into the flow equation.

-Scott

Scott, go with the 2in....i didn't realize you were building a stroker. You've got the perfect exhaust system allready with the 3in pipes.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron