News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gauges peg when I turn on lights

Started by Bomber, August 30, 2005, 08:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bomber

I read what I could find here that might hold some clues, but came up empty handed.  On the 68, the gauges work, albeit not accurately (temp,fuel) but when I turn on the lights, temp, oil, fuel all peg.  Any ideas where to start looking for problem?

Plumcrazy

The dash illumination lights and the voltage limiter for the guages share a common ground.  The top inboard screw that holds the circuit board to the cluster frame provides the connection to the frame.  The frame then has to be grounded to the vehicle.  See if you find any problems there.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Bomber

Cool.  I've had other ground issue since everything is nice and newly painted, but the cb screw didn't even cross my mind.  Thanks for the info.

Bomber

IT WORKED!!  Thanks again plum.  I pulled the dash out and cleaned every contact I could possibly clean.  pulled the nut off the gauges, and also added a grnd from the cluster to the steering column.  Now my gauges don't peg when I tun the lights on, and my fuel and temp gauge seem more accurate also, which was another issue I hadn't gotten to yet.  I'm stoked.

Plumcrazy

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

nascarxx29

Mopars never have enough grounds.I like to use a 12 volt testlight.One side to power and anything that is well grounded lite the light.When I have clusters out I clean the pins and use the dielectric.I use a eraser and clean all bulb socket contacts and the copper ground points under the screws that hold the circuit board down.I also found if you dont have the small headed dash cluster screws. The cluster wont be tight and ground well
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701