News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Water in oil ???

Started by lukendan, December 13, 2006, 12:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukendan

I have a 383 that has sat and ran very little in the past six years. I have gave it a complete tune up and have began to let it idle for short periods. After changing the oil, I am noticing small amounts of white on the tip of the dip stick. Also, as the motor begains to warm, I notice the white creamy crap trying to come out the dip stick. I am not loosing anti-freez, the underside of the filler cap is clean(no milky carp), not blowing smoke, the oil looks real clean(besides the tip of the dip stick). Today, I think it got to running temp and it appeared to really clear up, but after it cooled an was restarted it was back. I spoke to two shops, who both think its condinsation from sitting and warm and cold changes. What do you think? And Thanks in advance...Dan

lukendan

I have a motor that has sat and ran very little in the past six years. I have gave it a complete tune up and have began to let it idle for short periods. After changing the oil, I am noticing small amounts of white on the tip of the dip stick. Also, as the motor begains to warm, I notice the white creamy crap trying to come out the dip stick. I am not loosing anti-freez, the underside of the filler cap is clean(no milky carp), not blowing smoke, the oil looks real clean(besides the tip of the dip stick). Today, I think it got to running temp and it appeared to really clear up, but after it cooled an was restarted it was back. I spoke to two shops, who both think its condinsation from sitting and warm and cold changes. What do you think? And Thanks in advance...Dan

oldkimmer

they are right,but u need to install a new pcv valve from mopar, warm it up good and take it for a good drive,then it should clear up.............kim
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ghoste

I have had it happen in mine.  You have changed the oil right?

Ghoste

I would change the oil and filter too, it's cheap to do.

kab69440

Sounds like the oil pan is over full and the oil is being frothed up by the crank. Are you using the correct dipstick for your engine?
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

COKE

Lukened,the same thing  is happening  with my 440.
I discovered a bit of cream on the oil crank when i removed it to change the rear main seal.
Also one week ago,i did change the oil and filter and when i was checking the new oil level  i discovered cream in the dipstick.
After to warm the engine,the oil in the dipstick started to appears clean with out cream.
Just like yours.

69´Charger R/T,440 ,4-speed,Dana 60 3.55.

Charger_Fan

I had an engine once that did that. I found out that is was blow-by causing the problem. Blow-by is when cylinder compression blows past weak compression rings. The milky problem was more noticeable during the cold months.

I bet if you remove the oil cap, start the engine & hold your palm over the oil cap opening, you'll notice quite a bit of air pressure pushing against your hand.

BTW, my engine was definitely tired, but it ran that way for another year or so, until I could afford to rebuild it. I just changed the oil frequently with really cheap oil. It did make an oily mess in my engine bay after a while, though. :-[

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

firefighter3931

Condensation in the crankcase....common issue with engines that sit for extended periods of time. Take it out for a nice long run and change the oil.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

TylerCharger69

Personally...I, myself would drop the oil pan and clean out all of that settled in stuff...assuming it's only in the pan

Silver R/T

Quote from: Ghoste on December 13, 2006, 04:52:47 AM
I have had it happen in mine.  You have changed the oil right?

He did mention chaning oil.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722