News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vacuum adv. trouble on new dist.(help)

Started by jg68, December 12, 2006, 09:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jg68

I just got an FBO distributor, when i hook up the vacuum canister too maniflod vacuum, it breaks up & wants to die, when i hooked up another pod i have, it does the same thing, what would cause this ?

jg68

TylerCharger69

The vacuum canister you are speaking of....this isn't the one underneath your battery is it?...assuming it's a second generation car??

jg68

No, its the vacuum advance pod on the distributor...

Chryco Psycho

it should not be hooked to Manifold vacuum this gives you full advance at idle & advances the timing 10-12* , you need to either leave the vacuum disconnected orr hook it to ported vacuum so you have no vacuum at idle & it will increase with RPM

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

jg68

Quote from: Steve P. on December 14, 2006, 11:42:00 AM
:iagree:

Common mistake.  ;)

I forgot to mention, this is how Don at FBO wants it hooked up, so i'll have 30 deg. at idle, he was very adamant about it  :-\, I think its pulling it out of phase when doing this, i've hooked it up to the timed port, but it doesn't seem to be advancing when i rev it up, even messing with the allen screw doesn't seem to do anything either, so i'm stump  ??? The vac. pod is a 9L, is this maybe too stiff, i'm getting 15-16* of vac. out of the timed port.

Steve P.

30 degrees..  :scared:  10 - 15 maybe.. What the hell are you building??
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

jg68

I know it sounds funny, but hey, this is coming from Don himself, the dizzy is set up to have 14* int, 34* total all in at 3200 with 16* on the pod, so it would have 30* at idle with it hooked up to straight vacuum. i'm going to check over it again with the ported vacuum to see if i'm getting anything.
does anyone know which way to turn the allen key for more or less timing, i personally don't care for these, i think there too stiff, i may just try a non adj. vac. pod.

Just 6T9 CHGR

What engine is this in?

Don set my dizzy up with 20º initial, 32º total in by 3100 for my 440.....this uses NO vacuum advance at all....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chryco Psycho

Don`t get me started , Don ran away last time  :P

jg68

firefighter3931

Joe, here are a couple of threads to read through.  :scope: You might glean a little info on how this guy behaves from the tone and accusations in his posts.   :argue:  This has been a recurring theme on other boards as well  :P

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,16586.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,17827.0.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

this is what I have found to be normal in my experiece & with my customers 

firefighter3931

Joe, i'm sorry to hear this. I've allways maintained that there's no majic in recurving a dizzy....a few zaps on the plate with a mig and some filing to fine tune the curve and you're done. The Mr. Gasket spring kit is what i've used in the past as well with good results. Heck, the new MP dizzy's are totally tunable with limiters and those go for ~$150.00 at Summit....for a brand new unit.  ;D Hope you can get it fixed up but it'll be up to you to get it right....despite having paid for the service. That is unacceptable, inmho. :Twocents:

Ron