News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

May I ask another SUV question? Towing: Durango vs. Cherokee (OC?)

Started by bull, December 13, 2006, 08:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Help me, Orange Crush. ;)

I've narrowed my choices down to either Grand Cherokee or Durango with Durango in the lead. My wife brought up an interesting point regarding towing (that for some reason I hadn't considered) and that is the good possibility of having to drag the Charger around to various places during the remainder of the restoration to have work done (she's a good wife :yesnod:). We may also get an RV in the distant future. Anyway, I know the Durango is most likely going to blow the doors off the Cherokee for towing capability but I wonder how well the 4.0L Cherokee would do? Basically the only down side to the Durango is mpg and I've heard good things about the 4.0L Jeeps when it comes to mileage. What I haven't heard is how they tow, esp. a two-axle trailer with a '68 Charger on board or a small RV loaded with junk.

Second: did the '99-'03 Durangos with factory towing packages all come with the 5.9L engine? The first Durango I looked at had an aftermarket towing package and a 4.7L engine and I noticed that the rear suspension was pretty squeaky, which is probably not a good thing considering it only had 74k miles on it. Also, from what I understand the Durangos w/o the factory towing package also did not have trans. coolers so I have to wonder if that Durango I looked at may have a potential for tranny problems. So, could you get a '99-'03 Durango with factory towing and a 4.7L? Not that the mileage would be all that much better but maybe enough to make me feel like I'm getting off a little easier.

Lastly, is the 4.7L a 318 and the 5.9L a 360?

I'm looking at this one in the next couple days: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=205100942&dealer_id=58090421&car_year=2000&model=DURANG&num_records=25&make2=&start_year=2000&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=used&distance=25&make=DODGE&color=&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=97024&advanced=&end_year=2000&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=18

Charger1973

4.7 isnt a 318.  They actually quit using the 318 (which I think was a 5.2).  Anyways its not the same but I had a 2000 Dakota with the 4.7 and really liked it.

72chargerSE

I have an Gen2 Durango (2004) with a 4.7 and tow a 25' travel trailer and a open car trailer with the 72 on it. The 4.7 does the job, just barely. I cancelled a trip with the camper from Michigan to the OuterBanks with it last year because of the worry with steep grades, as I only have a 3.55 rear end.

I had an 2002 Ram 1500 with a 4.7 and towed the Charger to Carlisle, PA. from Michigan. I really beat the living s**t out of it going through the mountans, it too had a 3.55 rear.

We are looking at replacing the Durango with an Aspen in the spring. It HAS to have a HEMI, and it HAS to have 3.91's.

Mike

bill440rt

Bull, for towing a car you really need a pick up to do it safely. I'm sure a Durango would work for short trips, but you'll be maxing the capacity limits with the weight. I've seen people tow with Dakota's before with open trailers.
A buddy of mine bought a new 1500 Ram with a HEMI, he said it tows awesome. Right now he has an open trailer, may be stepping it up to an enclosed.

Personally, I have a '98 Ram 2500 with the 5.9 (360ci) & 3:55's, & tow an enclosed Wells Cargo 24ft wide-body trailer. Longest trip was from NJ to the Nats in OH, & it was struggling up the mountains. All in all it tows OK though. Should have gotten those 4:10's...

Be safe, do some research. Trailering over the capacity limits can be dangerous.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Lostsheep_01

I had an '02 Durango with the 4.7 and I tried to use it to tow my '69 on an open trailer when I moved from Fl to Ga.  The Charger had some parts in it and the Durango couldn't handle it.  I ended up towing it behind the BIG U-haul truck which had no problem.  The 4.7 is a great engine, but I agree that you must do some research and be safe.
69 Charger 383
MoPar.  You're either with us or behind us!

bull

I agree, but there is the option of using a weight distributing hitch which greatly increases the weight potential as long as you have brakes on your trailer. I don't think I'd be towing often enough to justify the purchase of a pickup, but it's something to consider.

Todd Wilson

I wouldnt tow anything more then a pop up camper trailer with either one.  While there is no doubt a bigger engine pulls better then a smaller engine  its not moving thats usually the problem.  Its stopping and handling when towing a load.  You do not have the weight rated tires on either the Cherokee or the Durango.  In a panic stop or emergency manuever with a Charger on a trailer hooked to one of the little SUV's you are gonna be in big trouble and fast. A tire blow out or a pot hole hit and you are gonna float up and down and all over the place and if you are lucky you will regain control.  They both are shorter wheel bases then pickup trucks. They wont handle anywhere close to a pickup with any wieght out back.

Start reading the fine print on both the SUV's. Its not just about tow capacity. You have GCWR of vehicles. You cannot expect to put 4-6 adults in the SUV packed with suitcases and gear  and still hook a trailer and charger on behind it. You are asking for a failure somewhere in the system either in the form of an axle/bearing or a low/non load rated tire that is usally on an SUV.

After towing with 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton pickups I simply cannot imagine towing a Charger behind a Durango or a Cherokee.

Todd

2Gunz

The 90's Cherokees with the Straight 6 4.0 engines are mean little bastards.

It will pull just about anything outta whatever. LOVE THEM.

But Im with the rest of the crew.

Both the Durando and the Cherokee are both to damn small for any real hauling.

Maybe around town... but even then.

Acoording to these people.... the top 10 towing trucks.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/102426/article.html

Why not get something that gets good gas milage for everyday use.

Then get this pig for the other stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-Dodge-3500-Dually-Sport-Quad-Cab-4X4-12V-Cummins_W0QQitemZ320062094881QQihZ011QQcategoryZ119144QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just a thought.

Steve P.

Hey Bull,, I have towed cross country many times. I can tell you from experience that what Todd says is 100% fact. All the ads about tow caps. is leaning toward pulling. NOT stopping or handling in a bad situation. I have a buddy that tows all over the East coast with an AMIGO. It's nothing less that STUPID. The short wheel base, little weight of the Amigo and center of gravity is catastrophic even before thinking about towing. He just bought a 88' Suburban to do those jobs now. I no longer have to worry about him on the road..

I know you want the best of all worlds, but if you want to keep your family safe on trips and have the true ability to haul you are going to have to step up. Maybe 2 new vehicles is your answer.

The Cumins is the best towing and mileage engine out there.  :yesnod:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

bull

Even if I'm just going 15 miles or less, once or twice a year?

Oh well, as usual I'm finding out there is no such thing as the perfect all-around vehicle. I guess I need a 9-passenger AWD '68 Charger with a 426 Hemi, 4spd auto w/ overdrive that gets 40 mpg and has power everything.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: bull on December 14, 2006, 11:12:06 AM

Oh well, as usual I'm finding out there is no such thing as the perfect all-around vehicle. I guess I need a 9-passenger AWD '68 Charger with a 426 Hemi, 4spd auto w/ overdrive that gets 40 mpg and has power everything.

My Opinion of the perfect all around vehicle for you  would probably be a (Dodge that is)  4 door short bed half ton truck with a topper. Maybe even a mega cab. Family up front, gear and stuff in the topper covered bed and the ability to tow the charger to where ever you need to go.

Todd

Steve P.

You forgot the diesel, Todd..    :slap:

I totalllllly agree... 

I have a F-250 Super Duty Crew cab that is extremely comfortable and can tow a house. The only thing that could make it better is a Cumins diesel, Dodge name plate and be a MEGA CAB.. That's all.......   :devil:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

PocketThunder

but then you are putting him out of his $10,000 price range.  to get a mega cab cummins is high $30,000...  i'm in the same boat as you right now bull.  trying to find something to replace the 4 door sedan as our family is growing...
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Steve P.

Quote from: PocketThunder on December 14, 2006, 12:22:09 PM
but then you are putting him out of his $10,000 price range.  to get a mega cab cumin's is high $30,000...  i'm in the same boat as you right now bull.  trying to find something to replace the 4 door sedan as our family is growing...

Well until DODGE starts making a FULL size family beast they will lose many sales to Ford and GM. I have owned many Suburbans and I can tell you that they are hard to beat. They do it all with comfort..

The Mega Cab with a Topper is about as close as it comes...

If I was towing a closed trailer ALLOT,,,,,,,, I would install a high top fiberglass topper.

Sorry Bull, no cheap gas misers in this category...   :icon_smile_blackeye:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Rocky

If it is only a few short trips a couple times a year, than just borrow a friend's truck, or go to U-Haul and rent a cheap truck for the day.  I towed a 55 Desoto with no engine (probably about the same weight as a big block charger) about 60 miles with my 5.2 93 GC and it was squirrly at any speed above 55.  I won't do that again.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Steve P. on December 14, 2006, 11:57:13 AM

I totalllllly agree... 

I have a F-250 Super Duty Crew cab that is extremely comfortable and can tow a house. The only thing that could make it better is a Cumins diesel, Dodge name plate and be a MEGA CAB.. That's all.......   :devil:

HAHA!  Oh I didnt forget about the diesel but was thinking in his situation with the price he wants to be in and no more then he pulls the gas engine would be a better choice compared to the added expense of the diesel.

Todd

Todd Wilson

Towing 15 miles or less in town is just as bad or more then being on the highway. You are most likely not gonna be moving as fast as the other cars in traffic. Some little bastard in a Honda Civic decides he doesnt want to follow you because your acelerate to slow and are either going under the speed limit or right at the speed limit and he zips around you like a pissed off mosquito and pulls right back in front of you and turns his turn signal on to turn. Not knowing or caring that he is about to get 12000+ lbs run up his ass because you cannot get stopped. Its a problem with even 1 ton duallys let alone the Durango or Cherokee factor. I know from experience! Its amazing how rude drivers can be with the trucks.

On the highway with the lighter suspensions and smaller brakes even the slightest bump or jar from the road to either the tow vehicle or trailer can makes things sway and then the tail will be wagging the dog. An energency situation only makes things much more bad and usually it happens fast!

Todd

bull

I'm not going to get any affirmation here, am I? :icon_smile_blackeye: :'( :'(

That's ok, I came here for honest answers and I'm getting them. Much appreciated, guys. :icon_smile_approve:

ipstrategies

Bull
I have towed boats for years, and cars for the last few years.
I have had a 99 5.9 Durango the last 5 years and it has the tow package (tranny cooler, power steering cooler, 3.92 rear) and have no problems towing my 71 Charger or any of the other vehicles I have towed. I have used a car dolly for my wifes 95 LHS and rented Uhaul Car trailers the other times. The newer Uhaul trailers have a great braking system and my last tow was 8 hours each way in the rain and mountains and I just drive careful and have had no problems. I love my Durango and its towing ability.

Boats are much easier to tow then cars it seems to me.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

Steve P.

Quote from: Todd Wilson on December 14, 2006, 02:59:00 PM
Quote from: Steve P. on December 14, 2006, 11:57:13 AM

I totalllllly agree... 

HAHA!  Oh I didnt forget about the diesel but was thinking in his situation with the price he wants to be in and no more then he pulls the gas engine would be a better choice compared to the added expense of the diesel.

Todd

But Todd, if we are going to talk Bull into buying a Mighty Bulldog like a MAGA CAB, let's make sure he does it right.......   

Bull, you need a MAGA CAB with the diesel and all the other goodies.. Keep the cheap gas sipper for back and fourth to work.. 

Besides, that diesel will last you a lifetime or two.. You should never need to replace it....

MEGA-CAB, MEGA-CAB, MEGA-CAB, MEGA-CAB - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - :devil:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

bull

Steve P.

Come on Bull.. We know you are the second richest man in the world...    :devil:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Steve P. on December 14, 2006, 05:49:00 PM
Come on Bull.. We know you are the second richest man in the world...    :devil:

Thats Bull!!!!!!!!!

:icon_smile_big:

Todd

bull

rich - noun
–adjective
1. having wealth or great possessions; abundantly supplied with resources, means, or funds; wealthy: a rich man; a rich nation. 
2. abounding in natural resources: a rich territory. 
3. having wealth or valuable resources (usually fol. by in): a country rich in traditions. 
4. abounding (usually fol. by in or with): a countryside rich in beauty; a design rich with colors. 
5. of great value or worth; valuable: a rich harvest. 
6. (of food) delectably and perhaps unhealthfully spicy, or sweet and abounding in butter or cream: a rich gravy; a rich pastry. 
7. costly, expensively elegant, or fine, as dress or jewels. 
8. sumptuous; elaborately abundant: a rich feast. 
9. using valuable materials or characterized by elaborate workmanship, as buildings or furniture. 
10. abounding in desirable elements or qualities: a man rich in kindness. 
11. (of wine) strong and finely flavored. 
12. (of color) deep, strong, or vivid: rich purple. 
13. full and mellow in tone: rich sounds; a rich voice. 
14. strongly fragrant; pungent: a rich odor. 
15. producing or yielding abundantly: a rich soil. 
16. abundant, plentiful, or ample: a rich supply. 
17. Automotive. (of a mixture in a fuel system) having a relatively high ratio of fuel to air (contrasted with lean). 
18. Informal. a. highly amusing. b. ridiculous; absurd. 

Of the 18 definitions for 'Rich" I think 6, 14, 17 and 18 might apply to me. The other 14, no way.

Steve P.

Quote from: bull on December 14, 2006, 10:22:13 PM
rich - noun
–adjective
1. having wealth or great possessions; abundantly supplied with resources, means, or funds; wealthy: a rich man; a rich nation. 
2. abounding in natural resources: a rich territory. 
3. having wealth or valuable resources (usually fol. by in): a country rich in traditions. 
4. abounding (usually fol. by in or with): a countryside rich in beauty; a design rich with colors. 
5. of great value or worth; valuable: a rich harvest. 
6. (of food) delectably and perhaps unhealthfully spicy, or sweet and abounding in butter or cream: a rich gravy; a rich pastry. 
7. costly, expensively elegant, or fine, as dress or jewels. 
8. sumptuous; elaborately abundant: a rich feast. 
9. using valuable materials or characterized by elaborate workmanship, as buildings or furniture. 
10. abounding in desirable elements or qualities: a man rich in kindness. 
11. (of wine) strong and finely flavored. 
12. (of color) deep, strong, or vivid: rich purple. 
13. full and mellow in tone: rich sounds; a rich voice. 
14. strongly fragrant; pungent: a rich odor. 
15. producing or yielding abundantly: a rich soil. 
16. abundant, plentiful, or ample: a rich supply. 
17. Automotive. (of a mixture in a fuel system) having a relatively high ratio of fuel to air (contrasted with lean). 
18. Informal. a. highly amusing. b. ridiculous; absurd. 

Of the 18 definitions for 'Rich" I think 6, 14, 17 and 18 might apply to me. The other 14, no way.

(THAT'S RICH)...    ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

PocketThunder

Well we pulled the trigger today and bought a '01 Grand Cherokee Limited.  Its a nice truck.  :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Chryco Psycho

I feel you need more truck than either choice , a friend rolled his truck & trailer with car on it towing with a Dakota, I won`t tow with less than a 3/4 ton 

bull

Lowprofile

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 23, 2006, 10:17:49 PM
I feel you need more truck than either choice , a friend rolled his truck & trailer with car on it towing with a Dakota, I won`t tow with less than a 3/4 ton 

I agree. You can't go wrong with a Suburban. Plenty of room for the family, friends, pets, shopping, etc....and is a great tow vehicle! Many people make the mistake of going smaller, only to find themselves without enough vehicle to get the job done. 

Good luck with your choice bro!  :icon_smile_wink: :icon_smile_big:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Steve P.

My buddy just bought an 88' Suburban for $500.00.. The truck is impeccable. Loaded to the gills. 3/4 ton. All it needed was a tranny rebuild. He got it done by another buddy pretty cheap.

These are not deals you come across all the time, but they are out there..

Another buddy just found a 97-8 Dodge reg. cab for $1000.00 Needs a tranny. Another nice truck but only regular cab.  If he passes it's mine..  :devil:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida