News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help with speedometer cable end at transmission

Started by resq302, December 13, 2006, 12:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

Ok, I just got a new Mopar speedometer cable from the dealership and noticed that it has a large nut looking retainer that threads onto the trans where the speedometer cable attaches at the trans.  The current one on my vehicle has a knurled sleeve that secures it to the trans.  The knurled one I installed about 6 years ago and it was a new repro that I got at a show in Hershey, PA that did fuel pumps, speedo cables, and a whole bunch of other items. 

What I would like to know is, what did original speedometer cables look like where it attached to the trans?  Did it have the large nut retainer or is it supposed to be the knurled sleeve?  If it is supposed to be the knurled sleeve, I will return the new Mopar cable back to the dealership.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

The original one in my car is the knurled sleeve.....I promise I wont look at your nut under the car ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Chris,

John Kunkel replied over at the Moparts board and he said that the knurled sleeve was reproduction ones, that original equipment had the nut style.  I know the one on my car is a repro as I replaced that one in my car myself and that has the knurled sleeve.  Do you know if yours in your car was replaced at any time?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Crap Brian, John is right...I spoke too soon without checking some of my old pics......

Here is my original nut style.......

PS I still wont look at yours..... ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69hemi

http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

Mfr426

Yep, stock is a nut...

We still wont look at yours... :icon_smile_big:

tecmopar

As already stated, the original piece had the large nut on it, good luck.

resq302

Ok,  thanks for everyones input.  Yes, please no one look under my cars undercarriage.  From now it it will have at least one nut exposed.   :nana:

"Went to the doctor the other day and he said "Show me your nuts", so I started screaming and throwing my hands in the air and running around in circles all at the same time."
Brian

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

resq302

Thats ok, computers need to eat and drink too.   ;D
Brian