News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is the '68 console lid the same as the '66-'67?

Started by bull, December 13, 2006, 12:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I was under the impression the '66-'68 console lids were all the same. So is PG Classic: http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID5143510P5365030-B-Body/Transmission/1966-68-B-Body-Console-Door.aspx

If they are the same, where is the difference in the length made up?

Brock Samson

ask Kenny aka Kab.
he's got both in his car and yeah i once noticed they're different too...

THE CHARGER PUNK

66/67 had no ribs they were flat and had a brushed alluminum look-MATT

8WHEELER

Many 66 and 67 mopars came with the ribbed top plates, but not in chargers.
This is a 67 GTX.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

kab69440

Quote from: bull on December 13, 2006, 12:30:50 AM
I was under the impression the '66-'68 console lids were all the same.

If they are the same, where is the difference in the length made up?

No difference in stow box door length, only center trim style and surrounding paint color. The "extra length" in the full length 66 console is a separate plate  which bolts onto the top of a bolt-on rear section.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

bull

Would this ribbed lid be found in any '66 B-Bodies?

Troy

The console door wouldn't be different but the shifter plate might. The ribbed style was certainly used in 67 but I don't know enough about 66s to say for sure. As Kab mentioned, the longer console on a Charger is actually a second piece (a rear console). The front shifter plate could be different on the earlier models if you're looking for a used one since the holes for the console mounted vacuum gauge may have been drilled. This was not an option in 68 but the top has the locations marked on the back.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

kab69440

Quote from: bull on December 13, 2006, 09:06:58 AM

Originally? Not as far as I have seen. I did know of a silver 66 with the short console transplanted from a 68 complete with ribbed top plates, years ago. It's been a lot of years since I last saw it.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Mean 318

The Console shell in my car is out of  a 68 Charger and the top plates I had put on it where out of a 66 Satellite. They worked GREAT! No worries! It will work!

bull

Quote from: kab69440 on December 13, 2006, 11:49:08 PM
Quote from: bull on December 13, 2006, 09:06:58 AM

Originally? Not as far as I have seen. I did know of a silver 66 with the short console transplanted from a 68 complete with ribbed top plates, years ago. It's been a lot of years since I last saw it.

But Dan (8WHEELER) said above that the ribbed lid was used on some B-body Mopars in '66-'67 and I think he's right. I remember seeing one on a Fury which I think was a '67.

kab69440

67? Yes.  66? No, not that I have seen. The answer was directed specifically at 66 cars, which is what you asked... Sorry for the confusion. The only original style top plates I know of for 66 cars are the smooth brushed aluminum ones. Something else to consider, on most of the Chargers, the stow box door didn't even exist. The hole was covered with a plate for mounting an armrest, which flipped up for access to the stow box.

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

Ghoste

It's easily changed out to the 2nd gen style though.  Four screws and away you go.  (provided you have a 2nd gen door to put in its place of course)

kab69440

Don't forget about removing the two angle brackets, and you will also need to drill the holes for the door hinge and come up with your own sheetmetal for the screws to go into. The stock screw strip from a 2nd gen will not fit the 66-67 consoles, as they are reinforced differently.

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

bull

That's a pretty cool setup. I wouldn't mind having something like that in my '68. Those ribs are a PITA once the pot metal starts rusting. Something smooth would be much easier to restore I bet.

Brock Samson

Love the 1st gen ints, the full leangth console with dual armrests and the one piece door panels and headliner ROCK! Too bad they cheaped out for the big redesign...
I remember reading that by goin with a conventional back seat they saved $28.oo per car...
would really love this interior in my car!

Kab's '678970 is gonna be so sweet!  :yesnod:
(wish he'd get goin on the project...  ;) )

bull

Quote from: Brock Samson on December 14, 2006, 02:56:46 PM
Love the 1st gen ints, the full leangth console with dual armrests and the one piece door panels and headliner ROCK! Too bad they cheaped out for the big redesign...
I remember reading that by goin with a conventional back seat they saved $28.oo per car...

Yea, but when demand goes up by 500% you gotta move your tail (no offense to the first gen guys).

Brock Samson

well i guess goin with a total redesign was risk enuff and expensive too, remember what they said about they hadn't concidered a follow on Charger and assumed the 2nd gen would just be a fast backed Coronet...
the styling buck that was hidden floored everyone...
...still does... if the word "Classic" ever applied to a muscle car the Charger is it!

Brock Samson

:yesnod:
this car is still for sale by the way..

8WHEELER

I like the first gen seats and console as much as the next guy, but what about dating   :ahum: :ahum:
not a hole lot of room back there, yes the seats fold down, but I would like a regular back seat for that  :yesnod: :yesnod: :icon_smile_big:

Dan

bull

Quote from: 8WHEELER on December 14, 2006, 05:40:39 PM
I like the first gen seats and console as much as the next guy, but what about dating   :ahum: :ahum:
not a hole lot of room back there, yes the seats fold down, but I would like a regular back seat for that  :yesnod: :yesnod: :icon_smile_big:

Dan

Good point.

kab69440

Well, start collecting the pieces and putting them in. In fact, if you are serious about the conversion, I have a crapload of duplicate parts from buying parts in lot form.

And as for 8wheeler's concern about not being able to "get any" in a 1st Gen... with the seats folded down, can you honestly say there are more possibilities on a stock 2nd gen backseat than there are with all that room in the cargo area of a 66? I'm not seeing it,man... :icon_smile_big:

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

8WHEELER

Quote from: kab69440 on December 14, 2006, 09:11:48 PM

Well, start collecting the pieces and putting them in. In fact, if you are serious about the conversion, I have a crapload of duplicate parts from buying parts in lot form.

And as for 8wheeler's concern about not being able to "get any" in a 1st Gen... with the seats folded down, can you honestly say there are more possibilities on a stock 2nd gen backseat than there are with all that room in the cargo area of a 66? I'm not seeing it,man... :icon_smile_big:

I know what you are saying, trust me I know how much room there is in the back of a 1st gen. But you are
in a fish bowl back there, anybody that comes anywhere close can see just about everything, that was my point.
2nd gen, back seats are lower, fold the front seat foward much better   :yesnod: :yesnod:

Dan

Ghoste

I don't know.  I've used the front and back seats of both generations and I much prefer the back of the 66-67 for those midnight encounters.