News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

steering wheel painting

Started by MadScientist, December 09, 2006, 01:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadScientist

Does anyone know of a good paint/dye that can be used on a 70 steering wheel?  I just repaired the cracks and need to refinish now.

thanks

MS

Ghoste

I was always under the impression that the color was determined by the color of plastic used?  Did you try Eastwood to see if they make anything like that?

MadScientist

Yeah,I used the Eastwood kit but the epoxy was sort of grey in color.  It filled the breaks in the wheel really well and sanded down nicely.  With my luck I probably should have tinted the epoxy before use.  I also saw somewhere a person who resotres wheels that uses an acrylic enamel finish, so Im on the hunt for that I guess.

MS

Back N Black

When i completed the repairs on my steering wheel i took it to the hardware store and matched up the color with a solid (non transpairant) stain,and brushed it on. Looks pretty good to me.

Brock Samson

what wheel we talkin about here?

all steering wheels wear,..  i would think ya might need to cover your paint with a thick coat of a sealer or clear to spare your hard work all the abrasion,.. or why not use a lace on type cover since the stock wheels are too thin anyhow? and you could always take it off for a show.

MadScientist

Yeah, I knoew I was going to have to put on a thick coat of clear whatever to fight off abrasion.  I jjust didnt know if anyone could recommend a product theyve used before.  My wheel is the black, standard, partial horn ring style.

MS

70 Charger RT

To finish my wheel, I used SEM vinyl prep (makes the micro surface sticky), then the black paint (dye)(again an SEM product specially for vinyls) and toped up with a SEM clear coat.  Results are great as you can see.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

MadScientist

Fantastic!  thats the info I was looking for!  Wheel looks great! I just bought a whole bunch of that material for other pieces inside the car.  Looks like I will be busy over X mas break!

Thanks a bunch!

MS