News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Installing upper door trim - any special trick to doing it?

Started by 69chargerrt, December 12, 2006, 10:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargerrt

Well after wresting for a half-hour trying to get the driver's side upper door pad back on my '69 Charger I had to give up. The retaining clips kept slipping out of the pad backing while I was trying to get them lined up with the mounting holes in the door.

So is there a special trick to doing this? Any ideas would be appreciated!

'69 Dodge Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Nope, no special tricks...just a bit of patience.   Also make sure the clips are spread enough to hold the panels tightly to the door.

PS----we need some update pics!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69hemi

I used duct tape to hold the clips in place on the pad and lot of good old fashioned swearing
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

bill440rt

Are you sure they are the right clips? Sometimes, the "J" area is spread out too far causing them to slip out of the pad.

Work from one end to the other. I'll use a long, thin tipped screwdriver from underneath to line up the clip with the hole, then press gently from the front to snap it in place. Then, work down to the next clip, & so forth.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

charger Downunder

Putting these pads on would have to be one of the worst jobs to do, bloody frustrating,This is what i found that works best
I always take off my door cards first.
Bend the clip ends to the right shape usually means pulling them out slightly.
The u on the bottom of the clip squash it with pliers so it will hold tightly against the trim/pad.
Line the pad up to the door line up the clips so they will go through the holes dont put it on yet.
Attach the remote mirror fitting.Dont bump the pad and mess up the clips.
Push the lock button right down into the door so its out of the way.
Put the window right down this makes it easier to see where the clips go you wont end up having your head hard against the glass.
Line the pad up to the door recheck clip placement.
Now the tricky part work along the pad put the end of the clips in the holes dont push them right in yet hold enough pressure on them to keep them in the holes slightly. Now start at the front push the first clip in by pushing firmly against the pad and keep the presure on the other part of the pad so the other clips dont come out, work along the pad to the rear until its done what ever you do DONT HIT the pad with a hard thump because you will get the shits guaranteed because the other clips will pop out, or fall off and you will have to start all over again.
I Hope you find this info handy.
Steve
[/quote]

69chargerrt

Thanks for the tips, guys!   Yes I'm sure they're the original clips- I had the foresight to bag and label them when tearing down the interior a few years back.      I did try to crimp the 'J' part to get them from trying to shift around and that helped some.    Also tried the swearing but the door and pad were unimpressed  :icon_smile_big:.

I'll try the ductape idea though- that'll help a lot.   I think the biggest issue was that I was trying to hold it in place with one hand and move the clips around with the other.  That pad gets heavy after a while....

'69 Dodge Charger R/T

THE CHARGER PUNK

do it like my dad does it, line the clips to the hole and use brute force and hit it hard :yesnod:

Charger_Fan

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on December 15, 2006, 05:47:24 PM
do it like my dad does it, line the clips to the hole and use brute force and hit it hard :yesnod:
I'd bet 69chargerrt is trying to end up with pads that aren't cracked & split. ;)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

hemi68charger

I'd put a little lubricant on the clips as well.. Most often, there's slight corrosion that's developed and makes it hard to to slide in...

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection