News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trunk rattle. Any ideas on how to reduce it?

Started by mauibarber, December 11, 2006, 04:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauibarber

My trunk rattles and I hear this is common on 69 Chargers.  Nothing is loose it just vibrates when goin down the road.  I can reproduce the sound by taping on the trunk.  Kind of a snare drum sound.  What can I do to reduce this rattle. 
Thanks,
Alex

histoy

I had problems with the 2 trunk lid tension rods that run crosswise in the trunk.  There was one piece of rubber around one of the rods to prevent it from rubbing on the other one.  I had to cut 2 pieces of 3/8" fuel line and add them around the rods to prevent the rods from rubbing on the metal under the back package shelf.   Prior to that change I would hear a lot of creaking noises as I would go around corners, or up and down the entrance to my driveway.

Brock Samson

I guess i missed the part when you bought a charger,.. last i recall you were debating getting one...

"I would love to be able to keep the Bel Air and buy a Charger.  The problem is I only have two parking spots and the other spot is being taken by this...."

and so......

(hint: PICS! MAN PICS!!)  :yesnod:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Generally its the seam sealer or bonding adhesive failing between the trunk lid outer skin & the frame.....

Since most trunk lids are "sealed" you cannot gain access to this area....

Step on the loud pedal harder :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

NHCharger

Had the same problem on my 72 as Chris described. I squirted some of that expanding foam between the frame and the trunk lid outer skin. They make two different kinds of expanding foam, the kind that expands a little and the type the doubles in size. Use the stuff that expands a little.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Charger-Bodie

just so you know they actually make automotive expanding foam its alot more soft and wont make yore trunk lid way
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

mauibarber

Quote from: 1hot68 on December 12, 2006, 11:16:56 PM
just so you know they actually make automotive expanding foam its alot more soft and wont make yore trunk lid way

Thats good to know.  I was a little concerned about the foam because the foam I have seen could easily bubble the trunk.  Do you think Napa would have the automotive foam?  I assume a test should be done before you squirt that stuff in your car to see how much it expands.  The less expansion the better.
-alex

Charger-Bodie

they may be able to get it but i would get it from a body shop supply store problem is it comes in a 2 part tube that requires a special gun so by thay time you gey the gun and the foam cartridge you will prob. have spent around 100.00 but the results wil be way better as this stuff stays pillow like instead of rock hard
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

mauibarber

Thats exactly what I was looking for.  I bet this stuff will eliminate the "snare drum" effect.  Kind of like shoving a pillow inside a drum.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Brock Samson on December 12, 2006, 12:27:12 PM
(hint: PICS! MAN PICS!!)  :yesnod:
:iagree:                     :popcrn:                     :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

mauibarber

Pics coming soon.  The car is currently in Long Beach, CA awaiting shipment to the islands.  I will post pics in a couple weeks when it arrives.
-Alex