News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

charger

Started by alfred, December 08, 2006, 05:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred

hey guys....... "charger"
what did it mean?

alfred

69chargeryeehaa

charg·er1 /Show Spelled Pronunciation[chahr-jer] –noun
1. a person or thing that charges. 
2. a horse of a kind suitable to be ridden in battle. 
3. Electricity. an apparatus that charges storage batteries.

guess it's a mustang!!!!(#2 from the dictionary) :o ;D sad day in mopar land today!!!! :rotz: :'( lol

alfred

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on December 08, 2006, 05:42:16 PM
charg·er1 /Show Spelled Pronunciation[chahr-jer] –noun
1. a person or thing that charges. 
2. a horse of a kind suitable to be ridden in battle. 
3. Electricity. an apparatus that charges storage batteries.

guess it's a mustang!!!!(#2 from the dictionary) :o ;D sad day in mopar land today!!!! :rotz: :'( lol

okay.....i meant "dodge charger" what means charger in dodge charger ;D

Khyron

???? maybe

Heavy-weight horses
Heavy, draft-type horses were used in later periods, particularly in Europe, to pull heavy loads and to carry the heaviest-armored riders of all, the knight of the European Middle Ages. Weighing from 750 to nearly 1,000 kg (1,500 to nearly 2,000 pounds), the ancestors of breeds similar to today's modern Belgian and Shire had the muscle power to pull heavy supply wagons, albeit slowly, and to be calm under fire. Breeds at the smaller end of the heavyweight category, such as the Friesian, and Percheron carried knights, and had to be agile for their size in order to maneuver in battle. Heavier Shire-type horses were sometimes ridden in battle, but usually for jousting or short charges where power and weight made a difference and where agility and endurance were less necessary. These horses were sometimes referred to as Chargers, the "Great Horse" or war horse (in a more limited meaning). There is a dispute if the Destrier class of horse included the heaviest types.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_horse

as good of a definition as I could thing.... pony car perhaps?

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

konigcharger

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Charger may refer to:

1.Charger (table setting), decorative plates used to dress up a party

2.Battery charger, a device used to put energy into a cell or battery

3.Capacitor charger, typically a high voltage DC power supply designed to rapidly charge a bank of capacitors in pulsed power applications

4.Whipped cream charger, a cartridge designed to deliver nitrous oxide in a whipped cream dispenser

5.A common nickname for Stripper clips

6.A chivalric or medieval name for a heavy war horse.

7.The San Diego Chargers, a professional American football team.

In cars:

Dodge Charger, three entirely different Dodge vehicles bearing the Charger nameplate

Valiant Charger, produced by Chrysler Australia from 1971

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

Ghoste

Well, if I had to guess, I'd say it probably came about like this.  The Ramchargers were a group of engineers at Chrysler who formed an after hours drag racing club.  They took their name from the fact that they utilized intake and exhaust manifolds which took advantage of being tuned to length.  In the case of the intake it was called "ramcharging".  As they became successful, Dodge began to sponsor them.  Dodge began to plaster the Ramcharger name on their super stock engines.  There was also another Dodge funny car team called the Dodge Chargers in the mid 60's and this was shortly before the first Charger show car appeared.  It was also popular at the time to refer to aggressive drag competitors as "real hard Chargers".  So the "Charger" term was certainly being kicked around the Dodge marketing offices and it seems natural to name an entire car line from it.
Other than that, it means whatever you want it to.

What does it mean to you?

alfred

Quote from: Ghoste on December 08, 2006, 06:08:19 PM
Well, if I had to guess, I'd say it probably came about like this.  The Ramchargers were a group of engineers at Chrysler who formed an after hours drag racing club.  They took their name from the fact that they utilized intake and exhaust manifolds which took advantage of being tuned to length.  In the case of the intake it was called "ramcharging".  As they became successful, Dodge began to sponsor them.  Dodge began to plaster the Ramcharger name on their super stock engines.  There was also another Dodge funny car team called the Dodge Chargers in the mid 60's and this was shortly before the first Charger show car appeared.  It was also popular at the time to refer to aggressive drag competitors as "real hard Chargers".  So the "Charger" term was certainly being kicked around the Dodge marketing offices and it seems natural to name an entire car line from it.
Other than that, it means whatever you want it to.

What does it mean to you?

thanks guys....for the input ;D

what it means to me.....

well...whe have a quiz going on on a american car forum here in the netherlands(where i live|) and a guy ask us what the name charger in dodge charger means....

and i thought this is the best place to ask :thumbs:

alfred

TylerCharger69

Here's my definition...

Charger - char' jur - One badass muscle car!!! 

Any questions?......Class dismissed

I can't believe that question was even asked.....

alfred

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on December 08, 2006, 06:20:25 PM
Here's my definition...

Charger - char' jur - One badass muscle car!!! 

Any questions?......Class dismissed

I can't believe that question was even asked.....

sorry for asking great guy,thanks for your answer :thumbs:

bull

I happen to agree with Kyron, although I have no solid proof the car was named after a war horse. My theory is that the name was decided on after the Mustang got it's notoriety and the boys at Dodge wanted to emulate that success with the use of another horse adjective that held a more universal meaning rather than just horses. In other words, though 'Charger' primarily means war horse it means many other things too, most of which bring to mind aggression, strength, power, etc., etc.

Another reason I believe that war horse is the primary meaning behind Charger at it relates to this car is the pennant emblem used on the base model. Looking at it you'll notice it closely resembles the medieval war pennants used in sports and battles back in those times, therefore, the medieval pennant emblem used in conjuction with the word 'Charger' would most likely mean the car's primary namesake is the Charger war horse.

Ghoste

Although the war horse-Mustang theory makes sense to me, I will add that the emblem you refer to began as a Dart emblem.  When Carl Cameron styled the Dart, he also penned that little emblem to symbolize a Dart.  When it wasn't used, he was disappointed because he really liked it.  So, when he was asked to pen the 1st Gen Charger, he found a home for it and instead of a Dart, it became the Charger arrow.  At least that is what he told everyone.
Of course, there is still a medieval battle element to that but...

bull

I really wish I knew the answer. It's probably E. All of the above.

JMF

I like to think it means the car Charges, eg "The car charged down the street at a great speed"

alfred

thanks guys,iff u guys don't know...who else does ???

Ghoste

No one.  Seriously, someone in marketing likely thought it was a cool sounding name for a car and here we are and that's probably about all there is to it. 

TylerCharger69

:iagree:    The "charging" down the street at great speeds theory is probably the origination of the name.