News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

real 72 rallye ??

Started by ACUDANUT, December 09, 2006, 07:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

I have a 72 charger. The guy I got it from says it is a rallye. Can anyone tell me if it is a true rallye??   WL21G2A132879   Thanks

Charger1973

Make:  W = Dodge Coronet / Charger
Price Class:  L = Low
Body Type:  21 = 2 Door Coupe
Engine:  G = 318 150HP(net) or 155HP(net) 1-2BBL 8 CYL
Model Year:  2 = 1972
Assembly Plant:  A = Lynch Road, MI, USA
Sequence Number:  132879 = 32879th Vehicle

twilt

You cant determine by the VIN number. It MIGHT be indicated by A57 code on the fender tag..............BUT..... from what I have read even a real 72 Rallye made at Lynch Road plant wont have that......... have you looked thru the car for a build sheet?

hemihead

A 72 Rallye didn't come wih a 318.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

twilt

Quote from: hemihead on December 09, 2006, 10:24:41 PM

that is an incorrect statement. I`ve seen several.

Look for the five horizontal indentations on the doors. Also, look for a rear sway bay. Even the 318 cars (the rallye package was available with any V8 engine) had the rear sway bars and heavy duty suspension. By the way, your car is a rare coupe model that does not have roll down rear windows. A total of 460 Rallye coupes were made with the 318 engine.
pwlynn@att.net
1972 Charger Rallye coupe auto 440 N96, GY9 (1 of 28)
1990 Dakota convertible

twilt

I believe that 460 number quoted above  is the number of ALL 72 Rallye coupes produced regardless of engine size. 

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: hemihead on December 09, 2006, 10:24:41 PM

Rallye package was base with 318, with 340 ( 360 on 74 ), 400 and 440 as options.

340 was a Rallye by default with machine gun exhaust tips
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Drache

The '72 Dodge Charger JR's had the rallye package except the doors and they only came with /6  :yesnod:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

hemihead

I know that it was listed as an option on a 318 car but has anyone owned one or seen one personally?A verifiable one not just " I saw one one the net" or " a friend of a friend had one" Anyone can go to websites and quote what they read.
  What is a " Charger JR"? That's a new one. Any of you " experts" got proof of that model?
  Led Zeppelin

Nacho-RT74

quoting from http://chargerinfo.homestead.com/infoandspeck.html what really is a 73 website but packages were the same since 72, with some minimal stuff exceptions because body and miscelaneous differences, like no more louvered doors or tail lights

Rallye Package: Bulge hood, hood tie-down pins, black or red "gradated" body stripe, front and rear sway bars, F70X40 raised white letter tires, Rallye instrument panel (hooded, circular gauges with raised white letters, including a speedo, ammeter,oil,temp,and fuel.) 318V8 standard rallye engine.   340 4 barrel and 440 4 barrel V8 with bright tip duals at extra cost on the ralley. 340 was only available with the rallye.  440 also came with the S.E. package.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

twilt

72sunroof440 (a member here) has a 318 72 Rallye car. :o :o I have seen the car.  ;) I bought the doors off of it.  :yesnod: On a 318 Rallye car, the power bulge hood emblems dont have engine size, just  "MAGNUM" 

hemihead

3rd Gen expert  ::) There is factory lit on a 71 T/A Challenger but no one ever saw one of those either so if you want to quote everything you read.....
  Led Zeppelin

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: hemihead on December 10, 2006, 12:12:43 PM
3rd Gen expert  ::)

If that's for me I never have said I am. Ppl here says me that. That's the reason why I don't like "titles", because is a reason to be judged.

As I stated before, I just post what I read and see on web since I don't live up there to see and compare the rest of models available, and that's not the only website, just don't recall any other right now.

72Rallye340-N96 is saying HE HAS SEEN at least one of them and he is a 72 prooved fan. Dunno on 72 by myself but is a fact I have seen on ebay and other websites, pics and fenders tags/Vins about 73s 318 Rallyes numbers matching and they are not Rare

twilt

Quote from: hemihead on December 10, 2006, 12:12:43 PM
3rd Gen expert  ::) There is factory lit on a 71 T/A Challenger but no one ever saw one of those either so if you want to quote everything you read.....

I`m not going to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It wouldn`t be fair to you. Believe whatever you want, it has no bearing on me or my happiness. I`ve never annointed myself as a 3rd Gen expert. The more I learn about them, the more I realize I dont know. Even though  I`ve owned 25 3rd Gens since 1983, I do not consider myself an expert...just an enthusiast.   Like i said, I`ve seen one before.. I
know that they do exist. 

twilt

hemihead

Why are you unarmed? And don't put my name in the same sentence as The "God" GG.
  Led Zeppelin

red72chrgr

Quote from: 72Rallye340-N96 on December 10, 2006, 01:34:47 PM
Heres one that was on ebay earlier this week. Hemihead and GG havent inspected the car yet, so it may just be a clone. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/72-CHARGER-RALLYE-NICE-EASY-PROJECT-IN-KY-LOOK_W0QQitemZ200054964919QQihZ010QQcategoryZ6199QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Doesn't the radiator look small? Maybe it's the angle of the photo?
Nothing personal, just business

THE CHARGER PUNK

Ghoste

Yeah, I'd still like to know that myself.

twilt

Quote from: red72chrgr on December 10, 2006, 02:46:32 PM
Doesn't the radiator look small? Maybe it's the angle of the photo?

Its a non air car, so it has a 22 inch radiator. (22 inch fan shrouds can be expensive) 

Drache

In 1972 Bay King Motors in Hamilton Ontario, among a couple other ontario dealerships, offered a package they called the JR SE. It was designed to combat street racing back then. Parents could order these cars for their kids. The cars had all the SE options and the Rallye options except the doors but the only engine available was the 225! The look of speed without the speed itself.

Full vinyl roof, chrome moldings on the doors, back up lights, hideaway headlights, rallye instrument panel, interior hood release, three point seat belts, hidden windshield washers, chrome turn signal markers, leather seats, pedal dress up, courtesy lights, wood grain dash and door inserts, premium steering wheel, extra chrome trim, SE emblems, etc.

These cars sold for $2999 CDN plus freight.

I've been trying to find some of these cars but so far no luck! IF anyone comes across a 225 powered charger with hideaway headlights and a vinyl roof let me know RIGHT AWAY!
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

nakita7

72 Rallyes came as coupe (WL) or hardtop (WH) and were available with 318, 340, 400 or 440 (rumoured to be one Sixpack one too, who knows). The fender tag code is A57 (same as Challenger), however some Rallyes (Lynch Road car) didnt have because of their vague fender tags. No, you can't tell from VIN if it's a Rallye.

I know literature proof is always good, but many times it's not correct. I know these cars very well, but new things seem to pop up now and then. I am dealing on four different 72 Rallyes right now, absolutely love these cars and love discussions about them. Let's see some pics and keep us updated!

On a side note, talking about cars that aren't supposed to be: There isn't supposed to be a 71 Challenger RT convertible, but we bought Columbo DVDset (season 1 or 2 can't remember) and there is a shot of Columbo sitting in a brand new at the time, 71 Challenger RT convertible, it was black with a white stripe. Oh well...

ACUDANUT

fender tag  25141 131785 661868 g36 ev2  b2 x9 tx9 a29  285473  e44 d34 w121 g2a   132879   What does this say?

twilt

note that the 7th didgit of your VIN is an "A",  this denotes that your car was made at Lynch Road.  As stated previously, Lynch Road did not designate the A57 for the Rallye package on their fender tags.  To sum it up.... being a Lynch Road car, you would need further documentation to "prove"  that it is a "real"  Rallye car, such as a build sheet or the original window sticker.