News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Newbie here, '68 Charger R/T

Started by factorybrook, December 09, 2006, 08:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

factorybrook

I've been lurking here for a while, keeping my eyes open for a '68 Charger like my Dad had. Found one locally the other day, owner says it's a '68 R/T Hemi 4 spd. He bought it in 1970 for $1000 and parked it in his garage in 1980 after some crumpled the rear quarter. He say only missing original exhaust manifold, replaced with headers in '72. We haven't talked $$, I'm going over this morning to check it out. What should I look for to make sure it's an original Hemi car? What should I look for on the fender tag? He's not advertising it, he found out from a mutual friend that I was looking for one...

Thanks in advance,
Drew

Ghoste

If it's a real Hemi car, for starters the vin should be "XS29J8xxxxxxx".  The S and the J are important as the S is indicating an RT and teh J is telling you Hemi.  On the fender tag, look on thebottom row.  The numbers will be grouped and the second group from the left should be 73.
There are more indicators to determine if its real but that is the beginning.

factorybrook

Thanks... Is there an online decoder for the fender tag? I plan on taking a digital photo of the tag (immediately after writing the check) to find out exactly what I have.

Spike

Welcome to the site, good luck on the Charger.
And for decoding check out http://www.mymopar.com/tools.htm

Chad L. Magee

Hemi cars have support pieces that were added underneath to strengthen the body as they took a beating from the engine (torque boxes for example).  Some other non-hemi cars ended up with the pieces added on, but that was typical of the later years (1970-71s).  If it is a real 1968 hemi Charger, you can check to see if it has been rebodied by looking underneath as very few people would switch numbers with another hemi car back in the day.  Granted, some people would fabricate the hemi strengthing pieces and make fake hemi car bodies (that started when they became valuable), but if the story about the car is true, the odds of this being a rebody is small.  Nice find if it is real........

Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Ghoste

If it has been parked that long, there is also a pretty good chance that the original suspension is still in place as well.  In the case of a Hemi car, this would mean bigger brakes and sway bar as well as the bigger leaf springs in the rear.

hemi68charger

Good luck on the visit.. There's plenty of people here to help you... I have one myself with the fender tag decoded.. Any help needed, just shoot...  Look for various body modifications like below...

1. Pinion snubber reenforcement.
2. Rear frame rail gusset
3. torque boxes
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Silver R/T

if it's real hemi car make sure its got real thing a hemi engine lol You can't miss a hemi in there, has huge heads on top lol
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

72chargerSE

Quote from: factorybrook on December 09, 2006, 08:37:31 AM
Thanks... Is there an online decoder for the fender tag? I plan on taking a digital photo of the tag (immediately after writing the check) to find out exactly what I have.

PLEASE, find out exactly what you have BEFORE writing the check, if it is a real HEMI car, the owner knows it ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Or he was born yesterday! ;D

Don't rush it, I'd hate to see you get burned :flame:

Mike

Blakcharger440

Hmmm...It may just be a 68 Charger RT 440 with the Hemi 4spd (18spline) box.  ???
Either way it still sounds like a great car!  :yesnod:

bull

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on December 09, 2006, 04:34:06 PM
Hmmm...It may just be a 68 Charger RT 440 with the Hemi 4spd (18spline) box.  ???
Either way it still sounds like a great car!  :yesnod:

That's what I was thinking. Maybe it's meant to be read as "Hemi 4speed" rather than '68 R/T Hemi."

sean68charger

it does sound to good to be true, but you never know!
68 Charger 440 R/T<br />Burnout Bandit!!!

factorybrook

:-\Well, he postponed showing me the car yesterday because he has the stomach bug, but I'm stopping over there in the next hour or two to get the vin and photo of fender tag. He says it's a hemi engine, but I don't think he really knows cars. So, I'll check in with you guys later with specifics and perhaps a few photos. Thank you all the advice... Sometimes good advice and experience can be the best tools you have.

Drew

Bandit72

it could be one of them really rare 440 HEMI's too....be careful
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Brock Samson

good luck with your hunt,.. alot of folks want those and can't no way afford em..  :-\

factorybrook

I took a quick look at it today... '68 R/T 440 4 spd... (XS29L8Bxxxxxx). 95k miles, engine never apart. Body is in decent shape, left rear quarter is banged up, very little rust. Body was burgundy (RR1) white interior. It's absolutely buried in a garage, probably take him a few days to get it out. I snapped a quick photo of the tag, didn't get to look under the hood. I have a photo of the car and one of the tag... Click the photo...

Drew

Charger-Bodie

sounds like a cool car too bad its being used as a bench ..... pick and file on one of those hoods for a while and you will understand why!! :icon_smile_dissapprove:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

69charger2002

grill looks nice. that's a start.  :)
ps brian send me some photos of the 68 when you get some free time i'd like to see the progress
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

bull

That would sure be a nice one to have. R/T 4-speed=very desirable. Any idea how much he wants?

factorybrook

He's looking for $6500... And I have no problem with that. I'd just like to see more than the nose and left door.

Charger-Bodie

if he wants 6500. for and and its half what you say it is you better quit telling people about it or it will be gone cause thats a good deal!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bull

Yea, can you get the cash right away? I'd take the cash and a trailer the next time you go, remove all the junk and take it with you. If you did nothing but turn around and sell it I bet you could double your money.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: 72chargerSE on December 09, 2006, 01:30:41 PM
Quote from: factorybrook on December 09, 2006, 08:37:31 AM

PLEASE, find out exactly what you have BEFORE writing the check, if it is a real HEMI car, the owner knows it ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Or he was born yesterday! ;D

Don't rush it, I'd hate to see you get burned :flame:

Mike

$6500?

I think Mike hit it............he was born yesterday. ;D

Better grab it before he wises up at triples the price.

terrible one

I agree with the rest of these guys. $6,500 for a 440 4 spd car that isn't really rotten is a steal!

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722