News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

...rented a new "charger" today....

Started by Dans 68, August 29, 2005, 10:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dans 68

??? Well, the story started a few months ago on another thread, when I mentioned that I needed to go to Iowa to pick up some furniture and boxes from my wife's grandpa. I had thought of flying and then renting a U-Haul. As it turns out, we (Wife and daughter too) drove my Chevy 3/4T here to pick up the items. Arrived today in Marshalltown, 2,000 miles and three days later. As we had planned to drive my wife's 93 year old Grandpa, and lady friend, about town for a few days we needed a luxury car (Grandpa can't step up to get in my truck). We stopped in Des Moine, at the airport, to pick up a Lincoln. But guess what, no Lincolns. So, for our trouble, and a step down in car size, we got a 15% discount and a choice of a Dodge Magnum or a Charger. Guess which I chose? Yep, I went to the dark side   >:D, at least for three days when we start for home. I was excited to see for myself what Dodge had wrought!

My wife's impressions? Very comfortable, but the steering wheel is too far away from the driver when the seat is adjusted to her comfort (she is 5'-10"). The front doors do open wide, so people with limited mobility can enter and exit easier. My impressions? The steering wheel of course, and the fact that the dash is very wide, and the front window field of view is very narrow, top to bottom...seems like you're looking out of a WWII tank. It has a 3.5 High Output (no idea) engine so it does move. Seems peppy. Oh, and two doors too many. More impressions as the week goes on and I get to drive it for more that a few minutes. Thank goodness the hotels now  have wireless internet...if anyone wants a particular photo, or a closer look at a feature, you have until Thursday afternoon to ask. I will post photos when I get home, next Monday.

Dan

P.S. The Chebbie truck transmission may be going :o (occasional late upshifts on takeoff, and occassional non-downshifts when climbing hills...needed to manually shift to a lower gear), so I may be late with photos. Seems fine now, but.... Please wish me Godspeed.
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Brock Samson

Big Lebowski

I dont know, i'd rent an R/T maybe just to cook the tires off of it. That's if i can find the stupid traction control button, and turn it off so the pile will actually do a burn out.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Wakko

Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

TheGhost

Quote from: Wakko on August 29, 2005, 10:59:47 PM
The steering wheel doesn't extend?

I'd think it would be able to....

Also, did you find it uncomfortable when you tried to hang your arm out the window?  And, the rearview mirror, did it seem too far forward to you?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

bull

FastbackJon

Wow, bet you get a lot of people gawking, turning heads, giving you the thumbs up, wandering over and checking out the car out at gas stations.... oh wait, I forgot, they only do that to real Chargers.

:icon_smile_approve:
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

Dans 68

Geez, guys, go easy on me. I'm only renting one, and only because it was either that or the Magnum. The dark side has not claimed me!   :icon_smile_wink:

That being said, I was wrong about the steering wheel. It does extend, but takes a bit of effort. The arm out the window does not work, even if I was forward enough as the door lock knob is located there. As far as the rear view mirror...didn't notice it at all, so it's doing it's job.

And no one is gawking, at least when I'm driving.   :-\

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Brock Samson

there is an adjustable peddle option too,..  in all the LXs..

Dans 68

O.K., Ghost, the rear view mirror does seem to be a long away from the driver. I can't reach it when I'm sitting normally and extending my arm. Disturbing....

The automatic transmission does not appear to let you keep the car in a lower gear...only "Drive" is available

Now, it does ferry around 4 adults and a child in a car seat. And the middle seat in the rear does have a shoulder restraint so the 5-year old can ride there. Not bad for a sedan!   :P

Dan

TheGhost

Quote from: 73SEDan400 on August 30, 2005, 08:08:16 PM
O.K., Ghost, the rear view mirror does seem to be a long away from the driver. I can't reach it when I'm sitting normally and extending my arm. Disturbing....

So it's not just me, then.  I couldn't, either, and I'm fairly tall, with arms a little longer than average....
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

kikgas01

I lived in Marshalltown and worked at Pepsi Cola there.Now I live 50 miles away in Waterloo.

cudaken

To bad there where no Hemi's to be had. Over all I bet it is a pretty good driving car. I like the way the car look's as well. Only thing wrong is a waste of a great name. If they had juct called it a Lancer, then I think we would have all been OK with it.

Cuda Ken
I am back

TheGhost

Quote from: cudaken on August 31, 2005, 07:59:45 PM
To bad there where no Memi's to be had. Over all I bet it is a pretty good driving car. I like the way the car look's as well. Only thing wrong is a waste of a great name. If they had juct called it a Lancer, thgen I think we would have all been OK with it.

Cuda Ken

Lancer is currently taken by Mitsubishi.

Dans 68

Quote from: cudaken on August 31, 2005, 07:59:45 PM
To bad there where no Memi's to be had. Over all I bet it is a pretty good driving car. I like the way the car look's as well. Only thing wrong is a waste of a great name. If they had juct called it a Lancer, thgen I think we would have all been OK with it.

Cuda Ken

It is turning out to be a good driving car, and a great "taxi" for the prople I need to ferry around. You're right in that the only thing wrong with it is what it's called. But I did notice that it has a rear window sail, a la the 2nd gens. Not too big, but it is there on the bottom (probably a few inches long). I will snap a a shot tomorrow and upload it next Tuesday (if I make it back home).

And   kikgas01, good to hear from a local boy! My wife said that she has spent time in Waterloo, along with a few weeks every year in Marshalltown. Great experiences in a small town!

Dan

cudaken

Sorry about the spelling, have a tooth ache and on Happy Pill's. But then again, I cannot spell anyway.
Hope you folk's under stood what I was trying to spell.

Cuda Ken
I am back