News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stroker Motor...Pro's and Con's?

Started by Mfr426, December 19, 2006, 09:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Hey all, I had a buddy ask me if I was going to do a stroker kit for my 440. Honestly I don't know the pros and cons of doing this procedure.

Can someone enlighten me why I would do this? Also, if I were to do this can anyone recommend using 440source? They seem to have aggressive pricing and look to have tons of details and help on their web page.

Any help or comments would be great. Thanks!

Rocky

With the reduced cost of stroker kits lately, and if you are doing a complete rebuild of a motor, the question turns more toward why not build a stroker?  Pros?  More power, for essentially the same cost.  Cons? Reduced gas mileage.

deputycrawford

I just want to add to Rocky's post. I agree with him that the stroker kits cost close enough to the same price as a rebuild needing a crank, rods and all. If you only need a light rebuild and cost is everything then stock rebuild. A stroker kit will allow you to run much more power and larger cam profiles with a very tame idle and drivability in most aplications. If you don't drive it every day to work then you would be crazy not to stroke that 440.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

471_Magnum

If you are doing a high performance build, (upgrading pistons, rods, heads, valve train) it's hard to argue against a stroker.

If you aren't bugeting for those upgrades already, there is a big cost premium. You'll find also yourself wanting to upgrade in areas downstream to cope with the extra power (your transmission in particular).

Most stroker kits are spec'd out for use with aluminum heads. The resulting compression ratio from the additional stroke pretty much rules out iron heads and pump gas.

The other "con": tire wear.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Challenger340

Pro's;
Fun Factor, and more Fun Factor, especially when you mash the "loud pedal".

Con's;
Complete and utter loss of bladder & bowel function, followed by babbling,verbal diarhea, and a shit eating grin the wife can't knock off your face with a 2x4.

(but I'm getting real OLD) ;)
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Mfr426

Hey Guys, thank you all for the comments. Sounds like I'd be nuts NOT to make it a stroker? As far as the trans I've planned for that as well. We rebuilt my trans with a TSR kit and the best parts all the way. The rear is a 3.25 SG and the driveshaft was balanced. I hope that's enough. I can always throw in the depends if I need them...  :icon_smile_big:

Now, can anyone recommend 440 source for their kits? Hey Neil, can you chime in here on the stroker as you are the motor master.

I appreciate all the comments. Keep them coming. Sounds like the kit is a no-brainer?

Mike R in Reading PA

firefighter3931

Stroke it !  :devil: 440 source sells descent parts but have your machinist check everything.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Mfr426

How the heck do you know which kit to buy? They have hundreds! I'm not racing just want to have neck snapping performance when I get on it. I drive my car to work on nice days about once every 2 weeks. My office is about 7 miles from my home.

Any advice?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Mfr426 on December 20, 2006, 08:28:12 AM
How the heck do you know which kit to buy? They have hundreds! I'm not racing just want to have neck snapping performance when I get on it. I drive my car to work on nice days about once every 2 weeks. My office is about 7 miles from my home.

Any advice?

Here's a good thread for a nice street/strip build using the 440 source kit and some other good parts. ;)

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,782.0.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Mfr426

firefighter3931

You're welcome Mike, best of luck with your build.  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron

Mfr426

Has anyone here actually purchased a kit from these folks and if so, have they installed it and run the car???? What are your thoughts?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Mfr426 on December 21, 2006, 05:47:14 PM
Has anyone here actually purchased a kit from these folks and if so, have they installed it and run the car???? What are your thoughts?

Mike, the thread i linked to above is a build using the 440source 4.15 stroker kit. Steve is very pleased with the outcome.  :yesnod:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,13148.msg182778.html#msg182778

Ron

Mfr426

I guess I should read the ENTIRE thread then...  ::)

Thanks Ron.