News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rearend bolts

Started by Hemidog, November 27, 2006, 12:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemidog

was thinking of changing the tires to the old ones, but when i removed the tire, i noticed that the fifth bolt on the rearend was gone, on both sides.
The bolts was also too short for the old tires, probably because of the disc brake conversion.
Are these changeable? since i need a new one on both sides, i was thinking of changing all the bolts for longer ones, is that possible?
btw it's a 8 3/4...

Steve P.

Yes, the studs can be changed out. I would suggest longer studs while you are at it.

Also your rotors look like hell. They should be cut and your pads should be sprayed with (disc brake quiet). Also it looks like the outer pads were never pinched. Not pinching the pads will cause a rattle and can cause them to were out early.

It's amazing what you can tell from one picture...   

Oh yeah, you're a little low on tranny fluid. :icon_smile_big:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

RogerDodger

Steve - what does that mean? (the pads were never pinched)

Steve P.

Look at the pic.  You can see that there is a gap between the caliper and the pad keepers. This will cause them to rattle and drag.

To correct this, I use a pinch bar between the rotor hat and the closest edge of the pad. While you are holding it up/away from the rotor hat, have a buddy hold down the brake peddle. This will hold the pad in place while you either squeeze the outer together with the inners  or I have been known to use a chisel and hammer to knock the pinch pins tight to the caliper. 

Hope that makes sense..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Hemidog

you're right Steve, the outer pad on the left side is loose. ill fix it.
I saw Summit had wheel studs for sale, but i really don't know which one to pick
could someone explain this line? "1/2"-20 x 3", .594"
it think think i need the press ins, right? will a hammer do?  ;D

Steve P.

Quote from: Hemidog on November 29, 2006, 02:09:52 PM
you're right Steve, the outer pad on the left side is loose. ill fix it.
I saw Summit had wheel studs for sale, but i really don't know which one to pick
could someone explain this line? "1/2"-20 x 3", .594"
it think think i need the press ins, right? will a hammer do?  ;D

1/2" - 20  x 3"  =  1/2"-diameter, 20 threads per inch, 3 inches long.   These are the studs I have and very many others here use the same.

They are a press fit. I use an air chisel with a pointed tip to drive them out of the axle flange. This can be done without pulling the shafts. If you turn your shaft so that you punch out the one at the bottom you will have plenty of room. Getting the 3 inch studs in may be a bit harder. I don't know if you will have enough room behind the axle flange to install 3 inch studs as I have allways put the 3 inchers in while assembling the rear end.

Not to worry. You can remove the nuts behind the flange that hold the axle into the housing. This will allow you to pull out the shaft enough to do the install or you can pull them all the way out and use a press to install them.

You can install them yourself without a press. I don't recommend a hammer.. Once the old studs are out you can install one at a time using an impact gun and some washers large enough to allow the splined part of the stud through the center. Make sure you use plenty of oil when doing this and DON"T use your chrome lug nuts for this job. Use a cheapy steel nut. Remember, plenty of lube. After you have installed all 5 on each side  clean the lube off with brake cleaner..

Good luck,
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

RogerDodger

Thanks Steve. I see what you mean now. I'll look for that.

Hemidog

What Knurl Diameter should i use? 0.685" ?