News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

would you drive 1612 miles for a pair of fenders?

Started by twilt, August 28, 2005, 06:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twilt

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7992526634&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1
I did! i just got home from picking these up in Texas.  The nice thing is that they are the nicest 72 fenders that i have ever seen off a car. original paint, no dents, dings or bondo. To make my trip a little more fruitful i also picked up an excellent set of 72  bumper cores and standard tail lights. For whatever reason, i have found it harder to locate good rear cores. 1612 miles in 36 hours. i did force myself to get a good nights sleep at a hotel  last night as i had been very very  sleepy on the way down.  on the way down,  i did stop in Alabama and took a 1 hour nap on a concrete picnic table. Somehow i managed to get a severe sinus infection on the way  down there. Looks like a sick day tommorow and off to the doc`s.  might have to stop by a junkyard for a quick peep on the way home. ;)  that always makes me feel better.                                                                                                                                                                                                             

On a gloomier note,  from what i heard on the radio this afternoon, Hurricane Katrina is going to absolutely pulverize Louisiana and Mississipi starting Monday morning..  I-20 east bound was full of families trying to get to safer places, mostly heading to GA and AL.  The gas stations
on interstate I-20 were absolutely mobbed. its twice as sad when you realize that many of them will have nothing to go back to.

TruckDriver

that is a bit crazy spending more to get the fenders then you did on buying them. Other then that, they were a good price. Glad you made it back safe.  :yesnod:

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

twilt

i spent about $320 getting there and back.  $200 on gas, $80 on hotel and about $40 on food and medicine. so my total cash layout for the fenders and expenses  was about $455. As nice as they are, i would have been willing to pay a LOT more than that (to include shipping)  for them if the seller would have been willing to ship them.  another plus was that  my daughter also went for the trip with me which was a good chance for us to spend time together. ( i have to admit we usually cant agree on the radio station) i looked at it as a trip "for the fun of it"  not one based on logic and reason. it also forced me to do some Prev Maint  on my truck that i have been avoiding.

Badbob

They could have shipped via Greyhound for about 100 bucks.

6pkrunner

With excellent parts getting harder and harder to locate, sure why not? Buddy refused to ship so a road trip was in order. Good score for you.

twilt

Quote from: Badbob on August 28, 2005, 07:14:26 PM
They could have shipped via Greyhound for about 100 bucks.
Yes, he could have........ but no he wouldn`t. that was one detail that he wasn`t budging on.

BigBlockSam

i luv  MOPAR ROAD TRIPS, i just got back from maine with my wife and had a great time .picked up some fenders.  fenders are hard to come by. i think you did good. good luck with your car. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Goldfinger71

Twilt,
My friend you never cease to amaze me! ;D
........I thought you weren't going by yourself? ???
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

twilt

Quote from: Goldfinger71 on August 28, 2005, 10:29:32 PM
Twilt,
My friend you never cease to amaze me! ;D
........I thought you weren't going by yourself? ???
My daughter did go with me.

4402tuff4u

Look at it this way.

Cost for fenders and trip to get them...$ 455.00
Time spent with your daughter...........$ priceless

Just the fact you spent that time with your daughter, I would say it was worth while! :laugh:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

blackcharger

another plus was that   my daughter also went for the trip with me which was a good chance for us to spend time together. ( i have to admit we usually cant agree on the radio station) i looked at it as a trip "for the fun of it"   not one based on logic and reason.

my little girl and I did an 8 hour road trip for a hood for my road runner. Was only $100 for the hood, but spending the day with my daughter was the best part.
   Dave

69hemi

My daughter and I drove from Wisconsin to Pittsburgh to pick up the pair on my car.  It was just under 800 miles and we left Saturday morning and was back home Sun night.  I had to pull them off the car when I got there also.
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

cudaken

Yep, spend what time you can with your kid's. When they grow up (if ever) they will have no time for you. I see my Daughter about 3 minutes a week. She's grown up and is 32 now, still drop's off laundry for my wife to do?

She did take 4 mintes last week to tell I am still a big kid and "you runied your Charger by sticking that thing on it'! She was talking about the Super Charger. Also think's I am stupid for being a Audiophile and should sell the stereo gear as well. Pointed to all the extra gear and said I should sell it (she for got most of it was her's).

Cuda Ken
I am back

chargerkid

I think it was well worth your trip.  I didn't like the posting on ebay that he should have to ship them.  If not, no one was going to buy them.  TWILT stepped up and got the job done!

andy74

how do you feel about a trip to upstate new york twilt? i can use a hand dismantling some really rust 3rd gens!

derailed

I always like taking road trips for old car parts. I use to drive a truck and sometimes i miss it(yeah go figure) but its a good excuse to get out and see the country a bit and like you said, spend time with the kids. Andy where in upstate are you, I know a guy with a repair shop here about 10 minutes from me near saratoga and discovered he has a 71 or 72 out in back hes looking to get rid of, it needs restoration but if i remember correctly its pretty solid.

twilt

Quote from: andy74 on August 29, 2005, 12:46:07 PM
how do you feel about a trip to upstate new york twilt? i can use a hand dismantling some really rust 3rd gens!
have a couple reciprocating saws, will travel. :smoke:

twilt

Quote from: chargerkid on August 29, 2005, 10:08:57 AM
I think it was well worth your trip.  I didn't like the posting on ebay that he should have to ship them.  If not, no one was going to buy them.  TWILT stepped up and got the job done!
Yes, i did also find that "question for seller" question to be a little too far for good taste. when i read it, i thought "you are wrong sucker, i`ll go pick em up! "  The guy selling the fenders ( a very nice fella)  now drives a tiny z-car and simply didnt have the means to transport them for shipping. He was aware
of their potential value, but simply did not care.   

Telvis

I made a trip to Dallas several weeks ago to go pick up a truck that ended up being a piece of crap. I returned home after about 1700 miles in the same rental car I left in. I would consider getting a set of fenders a good justifiable trip after my experience. Plus you can't beat spending the time with your daughter.