News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Topless 68 concept charger

Started by THE CHARGER PUNK, November 26, 2006, 03:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE CHARGER PUNK

i know there was a few threads on here but i cannot seem to find them, one member was actually gonna build a replica of it and had lots of pics in his thread, can anyone help me dig that up? much appreciated-MATT

Hemidog

Charger-Bodie

im sure some of you know a bout the car, but one of the original designers of the 68 charger wanted there to be a convert, so chrysler gave him a car to experiment with, they would have produced it but they wanted it to have the charger roof line when up ,and as you can imagine it would be pretty hard to get that long area of cloth in the sail panels to work good both ways . well dispite all that he did  finnally get a top that looked right and functioned in his free time but it was close to the end of the 70 model year and the new 71 was about to be released so it was all for nothing .but, it does still live on ,some where ive seen pics and it was on ebay once about 6 years ago the car was green and the top was black ,the project was not finished the trim around the well was undone ect but it was cool
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Magnumcharger

ya...the designer was Richard Sias, and it was his convertible you're talking about ....
Go to this link for pics...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83413973@N00/125823987/in/set-72057594102789490/
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Brock Samson

Hey Terrible One!
how about doin that to your '68?..
you gotta doner caddy allready 'n all...

interesting piece that check mark.  ::)

terrible one

Quote from: Brock Samson on November 26, 2006, 07:12:11 PM
Hey Terrible One!
how about doin that to your '68?..
you gotta doner caddy allready 'n all...

interesting piece that check mark.  ::)

Haha well you see I think the last thing I need to do to my Charger is take one of the few nice things about it away.  :P

2fast4u

Here's the best pic of that `68 Topless Charger..........
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

2fast4u

I never knew there was a Topless `69............
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

Neal_J

As I recall, they used the Topless Charger for three years on the show circuit.  Pics of the 1968 & 1969 versions are above.  A slight restyle (including the 1970 bucket seats which ill fit the fiberglass cover used in 1968 & 1969 and a rename, to the SuperCharger, were the big changes.

I have some pics of the SuperCharger somewhere. I think Juliano now owns it.

Neal

Ghoste

The slight restyle added a Daytona nosecone but apparently Juliano has sold it to another collector.

Neal_J

More on the Topless Charger, Supercharger & other prototypes @ http://home.att.net/~scatpack/prototypes.htm including this:

Topless Charger:

The Topless Charger began life as a standard 1968 Charger R/T.  Chief stylist for Chrysler Corporation Elwood P. Engel used the roofless Charger as an evaluation in styling.  The Charger's roof was cut down to the belt line, while a short windshield kept the debris from the occupants faces.  In order to maintain a sleek clean image the door handles were removed and the rear seating area was covered with a roadster hard-shell boot.  The white with blue trimmed Charger had its bumpers de-chromed and painted body color (white).  The hood and trunk lid were both painted non-glare black. Additional sport features included perforated stainless alloy steering wheel, cone-styled side view mirrors, custom racing wheels, finned side pipes, locking hood pins, and dual quick fill gas caps.

SuperCharger:

The 1970 Super Charger was Dodge's latest show car entry.  Based off the 1968 topless Charger, the Super Charger was designed by Dodge stylist and built by George Busti of Creative Customs in Detroit.  By using the 1968 topless Charger, the Super Charger had a strong platform on which the stylist could make cosmetic changes.  New of 1970 was the introduction of tapered nose cone and functional air scoops on top of both fenders, which were borrowed from the Dodge Daytona.  Engine cooling was increased by adding two sets of vacuum operated louvers in the hood.  The rear deck lid now incorporated an adjustable air spoiler.  The driver was able to electronically operated the rear fin for increased rear down force.  The Super Charger's new paint scheme included seven coats of "Fire Orange" paint with non glare black accents.  The interior was simply changed to current 1970 standard Charger.  The black trimmed interior included fully padded high back bucket seats. 

Here's a pic where you can see the 1970 seats against the 1968/69 tonneau cover.

Neal

THE CHARGER PUNK

nosecone looks more superbird then daytona, or is it a daytona nose cone with grille custom added underneath instead of normal?(also the supercharger has that line in the middle of nose cone like super bird, so did the super come from superbird? hence the ''supercharger''-MATT

Ghoste

You may have stumbled onto something there Matt.

6pkrunner

Ma was famous for getting the most out of pieces and using them whereever and whenever possible, so I'd go with yes the nosecone is indeed a Superbird snout.
I much prefer the 1968 debut than the Supercharger. And when they swapped out the 1968 square back seats and put in the rounded 1970 versions, the tonneau seat fairing no longer matches the shape and looks like a last ditch effort.

Brock Samson

those aren't actually 1970 seats though... 'n they sit crooked..
  there's some funny stuff goin on with the car but it has a continuality with the first '64 show car... the silver one?..
with the long over hangs and all...

the Charger was supposed to be a areodynamic excercise wasn't it?.. or at least look the part...
Silly details to my eye include the japanese style mirrors.. the international plaques in the doors... the stripe styles and location... & the painted bumpers look dumb to me too... the hacked off windsheild posts... the usles area behind the seats...
bet it looked awsome up on a revolving stand though... but especially weird,  is it a HEMI 426 or a 440 Magnum?..
kinda a bonneville streamliner thing goin on there...

THE CHARGER PUNK

theres 3 64 chargers now? i know the original was a dark maroon burgundy colour and then a guy made a replica in silver and now thats a white one, all look sweet!!! oh and strat it had a 426 wedge motor-MATT

Brock Samson

it's the same one MATT notice the Kelly Super Charger tires..  ;D

THE CHARGER PUNK

the car came factory concept with halibrand wheels start not mags-MATT

Ghoste

The silver replica also has the correct wheels.

THE CHARGER PUNK

yea i saw that one 2, very nice replica would liek 2 make 1 one day :icon_smile_big:

Brock Samson

what are those things on the side?.. look like aftermarket valve covers..  :yesnod:

THE CHARGER PUNK

removeable plates that cover the side exhaust, take em off and exhaust works like that-MATT

Magnumcharger

Behold the wonder of the Charger I exhaust.

Magnumcharger

Anudder pic....

THE CHARGER PUNK

SWEET CAR,so magnum you are going to build the topless 68 car? if so in a couple of weeks here i will be getting every bit of info from steve juliano in the mail here -MATT

Brock Samson

with those skinny bias ply tires that car is pretty much useless with or without the exhaust uncapped,..
great pics i like it best in the red color myself.. thanks!  :icon_smile_big:

check the tire width on this mid '50 Bannadinni 2.5 inches...

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061124/FREE/61120026/1027/FREE

Magnumcharger

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on November 30, 2006, 07:45:29 PM
SWEET CAR,so magnum you are going to build the topless 68 car? if so in a couple of weeks here i will be getting every bit of info from steve juliano in the mail here -MATT

Well, the plan is: Finish my Deora clone, then finish my '68 Charger R/T...then look at building something else.
I'm on the fence between building a Supercharger replica....or a running, driving Charger III.

Here's more pics of the Supercharger/Topless Charger.
And another piece of trivia:
The original Topless Charger was constructed by none other than the Alexander Brothers....yeah, builders of the Deora, and the convertible Superbee concept!

THE CHARGER PUNK

i like the topless 68 model better then the supercharger-MATT

Brock Samson

the trim on the dash looks different.. look at the cluster top where it comes down the side... on the left...  :scope:

THE CHARGER PUNK

yea ur right kinda strange lookin, u cant tell o nthe supercharger as its got a woodgrain dash of the 69-70 style-MATT

djcarguy

break the stock boredom and humdrum ????  and look and build and enjoy custom cars.thanks for pics

Brock Samson

your six years late to that party DJ..  :lol:

Amazzen

DJ may be late for the last party, but I'm preparing to start another... :boogie:

I'm planning to eventually build a 70 Supercharger replica....How serious am I?

Already have the donor car, wheels, gas caps and a bunch of other necessary parts. I have been trying to put together a nose cone assembly and would like a decent fiberglass cone and light buckets, but I would prefer the balance of internals to be steel. I'm eagerly watching a couple of ambitious nose cone builders in the Aero Cars section before I decide. Given the integration of the nose cone to the fenders and valance, a steel nose cone is probably the better way to go anyway.

Don't dust off the party gear too quickly though, the plan to begin the body resto is set for October 2012!

I'll keep you posted!

Paul

djcarguy

LATE AGAIN,OH NO,HAHAHA    ONLY THING I WAS EVER EARLY FOR WAS BIRTH SO I COULD GET MY HANDS ON A CAR AND GET THE HELL DOWN THE ROAD,?????? WHAT I AM KNOWN AS THE LATE MR WOODS,HAHAHA

GREAT TO HEAR OF ANOTHER CREATIVE ,OPEN MINDED PERSON WITH A PLAN TO BUILD A CUSTOM AND PERSONAL RIDE...  ALL THE BEST TA YA AND PLEASE POST LOTS OF PICS,BEFORE AND AS YOU GO ALONG.THANKS