News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Whatever happened to...

Started by Boy Racer, November 25, 2006, 10:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boy Racer

Hello - I guess I would consider myself a new guy to these boards, even though I was a member of the old board. I found this site via search engine; I also found Moparts, and the '66/'67 Registry board, but this one seems to have the most information related to Chargers that actually has traffic.

I used too be pretty interested in Mopars, and first gen Chargers in particular, way back in my HS days, but life took over and I just kind of got away from it. I got to be more interested in my other true love, road racing motorcycles (I'm more of a biker than a car guy, but eventually I'll get old and have to fall back on cars when I can't ride anymore  :devil: ), so I got away from the car hobby.

Recently I've developed the itch again.

The reason for this post: We (the family, well, really 'I') still own my father's '67 Charger (XP29H72******, ZZ1 Gold exterior, S6X interior). And right after his passing (in late '91) I started researching the subject of first gen Chargers. I somehow stumbled upon Wayne Wooten at The Dodge Charger Registry in Green Bay VA. He de-coded dad's car - told me some stuff like there were only 601 383-4BBL 4-speeds, and this car has some unique options like driver and passenger headrests and HD shocks. Is that organization still operating? What happened to the data they compiled, is it still available?

Anyway, I found some original documents related to the car in one of dad's file cabinets like the original window sticker, a broadcast sheet, and a copy of Car & Driver from February 1966 with a first gen on the cover and an article on the car inside.

Has anyone scanned their broadcast sheet and have a copy of it? Just wondering...

How can I decode what day this car was built?

The car's been parked in the garage since July 1984, and I'd like to treat myself to a restoration. I have no delusions of talent, so I am fully aware that I am going to have to have a shop do the body/paint work (it's not that bad, really) and probably have to have the tranny work done, as well as the electrical (including dash gauges) work farmed out too. But someday it'd be nice to drive around in the car I came home from the hospital in!

Anyway, it's good to be in the 'hood... I'll try not to embarass myself.  :icon_smile_big:
'67 Charger: 383 4BBL, 4-spd (on da' floor), ZZ1 Exterior, S6X Interior
Currently accepting quotes for restoration services!

CB

Good luck with the restoration of dads' car. Maybe you do this in memorial of your father, if so,... beautifull :)
Any chance to post some pics?
Take care
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Ghoste

Wayne Wootens registry is still around and it is still active but to my knowledge, it isn't operated in a forum like this where info is excahnged between members.  The 66-67 Registry you mentioned is a good start and if you haven't already, you should also investigate the 66-67 Charger Forum.

69_500

Wayne is most definatley still up and running. I believe he has already set his dates for the shows next year.

glad to hear that the car has remained in family. Hope it stays that way. Restore it, drive it, and enjoy it.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Boy Racer on November 25, 2006, 10:39:26 AM

How can I decode what day this car was built?

There are two places to look for the Scheduled Production date:

On the tag and on the Broadcast sheet. It's a three character code. 1-9 = January through September and A, B and C = Oct, Nov, Dec. So if you find B25, that means November 25th, 1966. 424 = April 24, 1967. 512 = May 12, 1967.

Look on the bottom row of the tag and on the top row of the broadcast sheet
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Charger_Fan

Welcome aboard. :wave:

We love to see pics if you've got 'em, no matter the car's condition. ;)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Boy Racer

Oh, guys... you really don't want to see the pics.  :icon_smile_dead: Sometime in the past 22 years, the car has become like a 5th shelf in the garage. It's covered in assorted garage paraphanalia (and dust). It looks like something out of 'Cars in Barns' or something.

It's also a problem for me to just run out and snap a few pics, as I live in Atlanta now and the car's still back in MD in Mom's garage. I hope to buy a home next spring/summer, and if I can swing it, I'll drive up there and trailer her to the new digs in sunny warmer climes.

But I'll try to get Mom to run out to the garage with a disposable camera and mail me the camera for developing. It might not be until Christmas, but it'll happen. :)

Oh... my car was built on October 3, 1966 (under 'Shipping Order' it reads AO3 | 08047).

Ghoste

Trust us.  We want the pics.  :icon_smile_big:

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Boy Racer

Until Mom comes thru with the pictures, here's some cool stuff I've found in an old manilla folder:

The C&D has some great stories and ads, including a '66 Charger centerfold. There's even a Gordon Jennings-penned article on the '65 Isle of Mann TT. Wicked cool stuff...

Brock Samson

that's a great legacy from your dad!  ;D

Boy Racer

The good news is, Mom sent the camera this week with about 25 pics on it. The bad news is I don't get them back from Wally World until at the earliest, Tuesday. I'll post up when the days swell to 25 hours long...

Boy Racer

I told you it looks like 'Cars in Barns':

More later...

Boy Racer

OK - It's later:  :icon_smile_big:

That last one shows the new rear interior light cover I found when I was looking for a broadcast sheet under the rear passenger side seat. The color of the carpet in this last one is pretty accurate to real life, it's pretty faded from sitting in the same, west-facing garage stall for 22.5 years.

Charger_Fan

Other than a little rust in the 1/4's & some interior odds-n-ends, it looks like a pretty easy resto. Congrats! :cheers:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on December 20, 2006, 04:05:18 PM
Other than a little rust in the 1/4's & some interior odds-n-ends, it looks like a pretty easy resto. Congrats! :cheers:

:iagree:

What a cool legacy!

Gotta get those bias ply truck tires off there though.

Maybe they go hand and hand with the rust. :scratchchin:

Good luck! :cheers:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Big Sugar

Looks like a Keeper ! Theres a lot of potential there !! Don't forget to post it up on.
www.66-67charger.com

We're full of build ideas over there.

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

Blakcharger440

Looks like a great resto project too me!  :yesnod:
I like the way Big Sugar's car looks with those wheels! That look is mean!  :icon_smile_big:

Bandit72

i wish i could find my dads old 67...  :-[
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

old man

That will be one sweet ride when you get it done. The great thing about this is that your dad left you something that you will be to enjoy and have fond memories of as you drive it around. That is the reason why we have already set up in our wills which boy gets which car when we leave this world. Hopefully you may able to pass this one down to one your kids to keep it as a testimate to your dad. Don't you think he will be smiling and loooking down on you when you are driving it around.
70 Challenger T/A, 66 Charger 440, 73 Duster 340,79 Little Red Express

6670charger

Looks like a very nice car, and shouldn't be that hard to restore.  The 1st gen cars are really starting to come into their own now, so get out there and enjoy it.
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963

Boy Racer

Mom sent another camera-full of pictures:

Hmm... wedding, or restoration?

Wedding, or restoration?

Wedding, or restoration?

Decisions, decisions...

Lord Warlock

based on your build sheet, it appears your build date is A03, interpreted as October 3rd from the earlier explanation of dates. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Boy Racer on January 20, 2007, 05:27:25 PM

Hmm... wedding, or restoration?

Wedding, or restoration?

Wedding, or restoration?

Decisions, decisions...
Restoration...it may last longer & possibly be cheaper. ;D

Lord Warlock

restoration...90 percent of those performed correctly will last 10 years or more
marriage...you're lucky if 30 percent last 5 years. 

Anyway...don't be sweating marriage costs...the woman is responsible to pay for a majority of the wedding costs, the male does the rehearsal dinner, tuxedos, and rings.  Good luck getting her to pay for the restoration later, even after 20+ years of marriage, the wife isn't going to hand over 40k for me to do the charger right, she may not complain if i do 2000.00 per year spread over numerous years. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.