News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Progress Photos - Grille Restoration

Started by Shakey, August 29, 2005, 10:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

Here are a few photos of the grille, before and after. 

After disassembling the grille and spending a lot of time cleaning, degreasing and removing the dead bugs from it, a total of 8 hours was spent wet sanding it, (started with a 400, then to 800 then to 1000 and finally with 1500) it was almost ready for the paint.

There were a few pieces that needed to be repaired, some of the fins as well as some of the mounting tabs.  The fins were replaced with some small pieces cut from another grille and glued into place.  The mounting tabs needed a bit more attention.  What we did was take a thin piece of aluminium and rivet in to the underside of the mounting tab and then used plastic filler to cover it up.  It was then sanded to a smooth finish and the only way to tell it has been repaired is by the two rivets seen through the platic filler.  Once it is mounted in the car, no one will ever know, except for anyone that reads this post!  ;D

My Father-In-Law and I are quite pleased with the results with the exception of the LH headlight door as the outter support tab is broken and it sags (you can see that in the last photo).  I will redo one from the parts grille I purchased last week.

Many thanks to the members on this board for their suggestions as to how to do this properly and an extra tip of the hat to 4404spd from TN as it was his paint suggestions and process that I followed.  Our goal was to make mine look as good as his. Thanks!  :cheers:

Now to round up the mouldings, remove the dings, straighten them and buff them to a nice shine.

Thanks all, we couldn't have done it without your help!

Bob

Charger4404spd

Looks great Shakey, be sure to post a pic when you get the trim back on it. :thumbs:

Lowprofile

"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

73rallye440magnum

Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Charger_Fan

Looks great!

How are you on '70 grilles? :D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)