News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Third member rebuild kit?

Started by mauibarber, December 27, 2006, 01:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauibarber

I believe my 1969 Charger rear differential is in need of a rebuild.  Who sells a good rebuild kit?

My car gets a howl at about 35-40 mph and stops when i take my foot off the gas.  All my research leads me to believe its time for a new (rebuilt) third member.   The car was originally a 383 but now has a bored out 440.  Who sells an affordable rebuilt third member?

I am by no means a stickler for stock.  Just want something strong and affordable.  Who sells the most affordable rebuilt third member?

Any help is appreciated.
-Alex

firefighter3931

Alex, are you looking for a kit or a complete 3rd member....you seem to be asking 2 questions in the same post.  ;)

As for the kit ; several companies carry a std rebuild kit with bearings gaskets etc....for around $100.00. That will basicly cover the centersection so you will need axle bearings and seals if those are in need of replacing. The Suregrip unit, assuming you have one, could possibly need attention. There are 2 styles of suregrip ; the clutch & cone. If your's is original to the car (and it's a suregrip) it will be a cone style unit.

Purchasing a complete, ready to drop in centersection is expensive. Randy's Ring & Pinion sells those for ~$850 last time i looked.  :o

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs