News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Would You? Trade a restored hemi clone for the real thing unrestored?

Started by lilwendal, November 18, 2006, 02:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 19, 2006, 09:04:54 AM
Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on November 19, 2006, 06:41:59 AM
... By stating you only have $40K into your finished car... does that mean your time and labor was free?    If you time and labor is free,  can I send a car over to have you restore it for me for $parts$ only?   

Some people get enjoyment from the restoration of their rides.

Troy

Understood.   I know there's people like Jet that restored the 69 hemi and sold it when it was done... nothing wrong with that but I'm sure he didn't take a virtual loss on it etiher. 

There's lots of folks like that around that restore cars for fun and profit.   Good for them.    I  like to fix up cars so I can drive them  :drive:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

hemi68charger

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on November 19, 2006, 10:01:51 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on November 19, 2006, 09:04:54 AM
Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on November 19, 2006, 06:41:59 AM
... By stating you only have $40K into your finished car... does that mean your time and labor was free?    If you time and labor is free,  can I send a car over to have you restore it for me for $parts$ only?   

Some people get enjoyment from the restoration of their rides.

Troy

Understood.   I know there's people like Jet that restored the 69 hemi and sold it when it was done... nothing wrong with that but I'm sure he didn't take a virtual loss on it etiher. 

There's lots of folks like that around that restore cars for fun and profit.   Good for them.    I  like to fix up cars so I can drive them  :drive:

I totally agree... But sometimes there's a bigger picture; like family, financial future or even better, you could probably have two or three Mopars for that one. All of which, could be done cars..........   ;D

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

lilwendal

I've been looking at charger pics all night and cannot find a pic of J1 with white interior. This car was a customer order car could this be the only one with this color combo and would that make this a 1 of 1?  Probably 1 of 1 with a hemi I'm sure. Does this increase the rareness of the car?  Maybe help overcome the car being gold? I've been looking over the other hemi charger project on Moparts for 55. It needs alot more sheetmetal work than this one but is more complete. Like so many have said, I could sell my car then negotiate a cash sale for the progect car and avoid the "virtual" cash loss.
As Techmopar stated,I could find a date correct block for this car to make it more correct and advise the purchaser that its datre correct but not the original motor.
Ugh. Now I'm really confused on what to do. ??? ??? ??? ???

firefighter3931

The question that needs answered is whether or not a clone hemi car is worth significantly less than a non numbers matching original hemi car ? In my mind, there's not much difference. If the original motor came with the hemi car....then it might be something i would consider. Then again, numbers don't mean anything to me as previously stated and the only reason i would condiser the trade was if the car was going to be sold upon completion....and it had the original engine.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

Rare and valuable do not necessarily go together.  Many of the people who are paying stupid money for these cars are fad buyers who want whatever looks the coolest.  It's become all too much about opening the climate controlled display room (garage or shop seems so derogatory) and pointing out to your friends how much bigger your penis is than all the others.

(sorry, just having a little cynical moment, rant off)

70charginglizard

Is yours a cloned R/T hemi or an original r/t cloned to hemi it.

I would say if the only clone part of your car is the hemi part would swade me away from doing it. It's just a motor.

Just my opinion.
70charginglizard

Troy

I think I told you my opinion at the Garlits show but I'll clarify. If I were buying a car to keep then I'd trade. It would still be a rough decision since I don't have any running cars and trading one as nice as yours would be difficult because I'd be off the road even longer. I should state that a real Hemi car means more to me than a regular car with a Hemi and I realize not everyone feels that way. With that being said, I drive my cars so tooling around in a real Hemi car isn't the smartest idea and I'd end up with two cars any way. From our conversation and statement you've made in the past I know you enjoy building the cars and sell them when finished to finance the next project. In this case you'll have no cash coming in on the last deal so the money you put into it will all be rolled into this next car. Building a real Hemi car correctly will cost more than the one you just built because you'll need more expensive (sometimes original) pieces. There are lot of small differences that need attention. As far as I know, the HP and Hemi cars in 68 did have the VIN (or at least a partial VIN) stamped on the block. It's the lower end cars that had no identification on the engine. If you're looking for an original block then the 68-69 date codes are going to be expensive (they made way more in 1966). In my opinion, the difference between a date-coded block and a new one isn't important since neither are original. However, I don't have the money to drop on the car either way so you need to find out what a person with that kind of money thinks. The color is strange but so are 2 of mine so it's nice to be unique *if you're showing the car* - not so much if you're trying to sell since you want the widest possible audience. I think it will hurt the final resale value if that's what you are after. Not many people dream of a gold and white Hemi Charger but you can't be too picky when Dodge only made 475 originally. I do have to point out that your car didn't sell for $80k (yet). In that case, would your opinion be any different if it sold for $60k? That's still a $20k profit to put into another car. I think your margin will be significantly smaller and your effort much higher on the real car - but it would be neat to say you owned a real one once.

Recap: from a financial standpoint it's a risk but from a car collector standpoint it's a dream.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

tan top

if it were me , and the car checks out - all numbers / stampings etc , then yes i would , & and even if it was a non matching # car j  code  car  i would also- :yesnod: if it were the color combination i wanted ,
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

ChargerSG

I would have traded, after have checking all the numbers etc like hell...
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

charge-it

We met at Garlits and I saw your car. No way I would trade. Hemi car or not it`s the wrong color, no matching motor, etc. You very well end up upside down on this deal but that`s just my opinion. I saw the guy that wanted to trade, hope he doesn`t beat you when you back out...
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

azraelck

In a word; no. In a sentance; OH HELL NAW!.

NEVER trade a restored beauty straight up for a clunker; especially since it has no engine. Original HEMI car or not; no drivetrain, then no. I would consider it with some cash if the original car had it's original motor.

Now, if you truly enjoy the restoring part; I would trade with some cash. A good bit of cash; because that 426 Hemi under your hood is not cheap. In fact, I would just trade that engine for the car, and then you'd have two project Chargers. One which only requires you to drop a crate 572 in it.  :D But just because that other car is an original Hemi car, don't mean it's worth your restored car. It's not.
For every good man that is born, another good man must die.  Yet somehow the
factory keeps pumping out losers and we have no idea how to get rid of them.
--Kersus

gtx6970

A couple things to consider.
Your car - original r/t or not ?  I already know everything else about it is wrong for a 68 , color, shifter, engine etc. It's a clone any way you look at it. It sounds like your into it for the restoration/ money part of it. Not necassarily for the ownership.

Other car- J-code it will always be - no argument there ever.Which ads value, always will.  Color is a setback and will hurt resale value to SOME but not all. Color would not stop me at all, Body style would though (I'm not a 68 charger fan). And as mentioned rarety does not always make it valuable/desireable.

To me your biggest obstacle  to consider is how long before the bubble busts (and it will ) and can you get it done before then.

Just my  :Twocents:

Khyron

I would have to agree with the masses here, no original Hemi. No trade.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

8WHEELER

Quote from: gtx6970 on November 19, 2006, 08:47:19 PM
(I'm not a 68 charger fan).

Just my  :Twocents:

Ouch bud, that hurts............

My wife's 68 RT, JJ1 Gold Metallic, Peal White Top, Tan int. I like the color combo, I have had several but this one is a keeper.

This was before the resto, it is almost done. I bought it in 1982

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

8WHEELER

hemi68charger

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

8WHEELER

And a JJ1 Gold 68 Hemi, black top, he lives 10min away, nice car.

I myself, like the Pearl White top better, and you never see them.

Dan

8WHEELER

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 20, 2006, 07:11:42 AM
Dang Dan !!!

That's one clean '68 !!!!!

Troy

I think so  ;D  the damage you see to my wife's car was not done by her, one fender
was hit before I bought it. The other fender was hit by a fellow diesel mechanic at work
24yrs ago, while I was on a delivery of a track hoe in my KW. That car was her daily driver
for for 17yrs, it now has 108k on it, but like I said the resto is almost done, the bumper
chrome job was $600.00 each for show quality  :o  man this hobby is getting expensive.

Dan

lilwendal

8WHEELER, Thanks for the pics. Thats a nice survivor you've got. That gold with the white top dont look too shabby at all on your wifes car.  The colors starting to grow on me a little.  Definetly needs the white top to brighten up the gold. Still trying to picture the white interior with it. The Ebay link you listed was C6E trim which is white and tan interior. The car I'm looking to swap is C6W white and black. There is such a dynamic contrast between the white and black interior together and how that flows with the gold exterior I just cant picture.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 8WHEELER on November 20, 2006, 07:13:56 AM
And a JJ1 Gold 68 Hemi, black top, he lives 10min away, nice car.

I myself, like the Pearl White top better, and you never see them.

Dan

Dang... Mike, there you go !!! Some more Gold 'Hemi Chargers in the black you like....... Dan to the rescue....... Again, my opinion, do it.... I don't think the value without the original motor is all that important..  Yes, it would be nice to have it, but hell, these things are 30+ years old and some of the ones out there lost their original motor within the warranty period...  Maybe I'm jaded in that my '68 hemi Charger doesn't have the original motor, but in my eyes, it's still a j-code and unlike TA's, AAR's and M-codes comparatively speaking, those are everywhere.. '68 j-code hemi's aren't and you have one advantage, you can finish the paint and body YOURSELF, you have the skills... If I could only be so lucky....

Troy
Troy

charge69

Well, I guess I will add my 2 cents! The color combination will hurt you if you decide to sell and so will the non-original motor: however, the car is an original  hemicar and they just do not grow on trees! You are obviously good at body and paint and could do the remaining work on the car yourself thereby saving a ton of money that most of us would have to spend. Your current Charger is finished and very beautiful, but your intention all along was to sell it and get something else and an offer of $80K is a very good offer, but that is only if the other car is worth the $80K! How much work is left on the body? If it is not pretty much complete, I do not think it is worth $80K without the original motor.
Our opinions do not really mean squat as it is not our choice to make! If you feel it is a fair deal, and you should know yourself from restoring these beauties, then go for it and enjoy owning an original! If not, enjoy your beautiful Charger already in your hands and wait for the right one to come along!

bull

I wouldn't do it but unlike you I really don't enjoy the restoration process, and I'm not the type of guy who passes out when I see a Hemi car. Rare cars a great but I'd rather be able to drive and enjoy a car instead of letting it sit because I'm worried about throwing a rod in a $13k engine.

hemi68charger

Quote from: bull on November 20, 2006, 03:05:33 PM
I wouldn't do it but unlike you I really don't enjoy the restoration process, and I'm not the type of guy who passes out when I see a Hemi car. Rare cars a great but I'd rather be able to drive and enjoy a car instead of letting it sit because I'm worried about throwing a rod in a $13k engine.

Naaaaaaaaaaa,, who's worried?   :icon_smile_big:
Troy

charge69

bull

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 20, 2006, 03:11:51 PM
Quote from: bull on November 20, 2006, 03:05:33 PM

Naaaaaaaaaaa,, who's worried?   :icon_smile_big:

People who barely have enough money to rebuild a 383, aka me. :-[